Women's World Cup

therealhantsram

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Commentators talking about Englandโ€™s strategy now weโ€™re down to 10. Surely the strategy has to be to try and hang on for penalties.

We appear to be playing the 'table football' formation, two rows of four and one up front. Can you mark zonally all over the pitch? Its been a bit poor all game, the midfield has often been too far away from the attack, not enough movement.

One of the worst things is, if we do hang on and happen to go through on penalties, morally it will be undeserved. A player sent off for violent conduct and Nigeria have been the better team.

The overruled penalty was possibly a harsh decision and it would have been a very soft penalty. The one Bronze just got away with looked worse to me.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

One of the worst things is, if we do hang on and happen to go through on penalties, morally it will be undeserved. A player sent off for violent conduct and Nigeria have been the better team.

The overruled penalty was possibly a harsh decision and it would have been a very soft penalty. The one Bronze just got away with looked worse to me.

I am sure they would feel ashamed to go through at Nigeria's expense.

1 minute ago, sage said:

I am sure they would feel ashamed to go through at Nigeria's expense.

Iโ€™m sure they wonโ€™t feel ashamed but rather relieved.

perhaps โ€œmorallyโ€ was the wrong word (Iโ€™m sure you know what I meant though). I was trying to avoid simply saying they donโ€™t deserve to go through which would have faced criticism as the team that wins (in normal time, in extra time, after penalties) is the team that actually โ€œdeservesโ€ to go through.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Iโ€™m sure they wonโ€™t feel ashamed but rather relieved.

perhaps โ€œmorallyโ€ was the wrong word (Iโ€™m sure you know what I meant though). I was trying to avoid simply saying they donโ€™t deserve to go through which would have faced criticism as the team that wins (in normal time, in extra time, after penalties) is the team that actually โ€œdeservesโ€ to go through.

You brought up the sending off which brought morals into it. They have been the better team, but morally superior?