Women's World Cup

therealhantsram

1 minute ago, abertawe_ram said:

Really nice goal from James but the bbc commentary made me want to vomit from my ears, "England activate their cheat code", shut the f*** up. One of those phrases up there with the "hms p*** the league" that people say in terms of boiling my p***

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy 

Well you do sound it, to be fair! 😄

Thought we looked somewhat one-paced and cautious with the ball too much of the time. Plus lots of final deliveries/passes in the final third were very poor. Hopefully they're getting better as the competition progresses.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hate VAR.

Knew as soon as it came in we'd never be rid of it and it wouldn't improve the game.

Be interesting to know whether it’s a mutual feeling across Europe.

I just remember the days pre VAR in the Fergie years when Utd were awarded horrendous decisions on a weekly basis. I don’t think the bias towards them was good for the game either.

The idea of VAR is good. The execution of it is rubbish.

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've got a novel idea. Why not respect refs decisions then VAR not needed. 

Surely the purpose of VAR is to ensure correct decisions are arrived at and not to settle disputes. Just respecting the refs decision wouldn’t necessarily achieve this. I’m sure there are plenty of more recent examples but take the Henry “hand ball” against The Republic of Ireland. The ref incorrectly allowed the goal but VAR would certainly have ruled it out.

I think there is a role for VAR to play but it’s clearly not quite working as intended.

4 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Watched three games now!

To quote Star Trek: Its football Jim but not as we know it!

Won't bother again. 

Another thing. How do you tell the players apart, all blonde ponytails bobbing up and down, not a beard or Mullet in sight.

Sweden v Italy was a decent game. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely the purpose of VAR is to ensure correct decisions are arrived at and not to settle disputes. Just respecting the refs decision wouldn’t necessarily achieve this. I’m sure there are plenty of more recent examples but take the Henry “hand ball” against The Republic of Ireland. The ref incorrectly allowed the goal but VAR would certainly have ruled it out.

I think there is a role for VAR to play but it’s clearly not quite working as intended.

I'm of the opinion VAR only became necessary after pundits picked apart every decision. On the whole the officials are pretty good. If VAR is needed at all it would be better used to punish cheating players. Leave the refs alone and just accept their decisions. 

44 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Tremendous first goal. Missed the rest but sounded exciting.

Columbia were playing well with the 1 goal lead, limited germany's chances quite well but then gave a pen late on (keeper took out the striker who was through, as obvious as they get) then deep in added time a header from a corner. Was a pretty enjoyable game and I always like an underdog win.