Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Answer the question…

Sharps a t***.  If you behave like a dick for years you'll attract the same.  He's like a pied piper for aggro and anyone who gives him a good cheer after the way he's behaved too an entire fan base must like eating s*** sandwiches and going back for more. Fair enough answer.  The last one I'm giving

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sharps a t***.  If you behave like a dick for years you'll attract the same.  He's like a pied piper for aggro and anyone who gives him a good cheer after the way he's behaved too an entire fan base must like eating s*** sandwiches and going back for more. Fair enough answer.  The last one I'm giving

No, but each to his own…

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

My guess for this summer.

It will soon come out that our number 1 striker target is Billy Sharp, some fans will be in uproar, others ok. Billy will take most of the summer to have a think, meanwhile Players like May and Clark-Harris will sign for rival teams. At the 11th hour Sharp will decide to sign for Barnsley and will go onto score 30 goals.

We will go into August scratting around for a striker, before signing an 18 year old streak of p!ss on loan from Luton on transfer deadline day.

In all honesty I have a feeling most of this will be true except for Luton. It'll be from someone even worse, like Tottenham.

I was with you until you mentioned Barnsley, it would be Notts County without doubt.

1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

The way some are posting on here and Twitter you’d think PW was actively talking the club and the plan down to anyone who’d listen!

What I expect Warne will be doing, is being Warne.

He's not going to be doing the big sell BS, giving it all this and all that about how good we're going to be next season, promising players that if they come here we'll be a shoe-in for glory in 11 months time.

He'll be being honest, realistic, modest even; he'll talking to players about what he expects of them should they come here, what they should expect from him in return, all of that stuff. 

His approach will always be somewhat of a double-edged sword in that regard.  Some players do just want to be sold the big dream and if it isn't presented that way not really feel the vibe, look elsewhere, others will appreciate the more honest approach and others will fall somewhere between. Some will pay absolutely no attention to whatever it was he just said and make a decision purely based on financial remuneration.

I will say though, that Warne has already publicly played down our chances next season in a Radio Derby interview before the Sheff Weds game, saying that there are "no guarantees that we'll be any better next season" which is of course true, but do I want to hear that from the man who's going to be responsible for putting a team together with the aim of being just that?

Not particularly, and I really hope that's not the vibe he's giving off to potential signings.

I doubt it is, but that comment does (clearly) still play on my mind a bit whether it should or not.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Blackpool are in tier 3 with us next season . Jerry Yates got 14 goals for them last season. They have turned down £2.5 mill and want £4 mill. It doesn’t seem much after what we spent under Mel. However it proves again you have to stump up for decent strikers . Run of the mill midfielders and full backs are plentiful and usually free.

20 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Blackpool are in tier 3 with us next season . Jerry Yates got 14 goals for them last season. They have turned down £2.5 mill and want £4 mill. It doesn’t seem much after what we spent under Mel. However it proves again you have to stump up for decent strikers . Run of the mill midfielders and full backs are plentiful and usually free.

It’s rumoured Blackpool paid about £200k to sign him so looks like good business for them. I take your point that goalscorers CAN cost a premium, but not always the case. Colby Bishop cost Portsmouth a rumoured £500k, Conor Chaplin a rumoured £750k for Ipswich and we signed a 25 goal and a 12 goal striker for free last summer. 
Proven goalscorers under contract can cost money, players with potential can cost less, and there are players out there who have scored goals at this and other levels who are available for free or knock down fees allegedly (Alfie May).

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s rumoured Blackpool paid about £200k to sign him so looks like good business for them. I take your point that goalscorers CAN cost a premium, but not always the case. Colby Bishop cost Portsmouth a rumoured £500k, Conor Chaplin a rumoured £750k for Ipswich and we signed a 25 goal and a 12 goal striker for free last summer. 
Proven goalscorers under contract can cost money, players with potential can cost less, and there are players out there who have scored goals at this and other levels who are available for free or knock down fees allegedly (Alfie May).

Derby all too often end up paying the premium for a player’s second or third transfer. About time we unearthed them originally, isn’t it?

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Derby all too often end up paying the premium for a player’s second or third transfer. About time we unearthed them originally, isn’t it?

That’s partly why the Lee Bonis link from a few weeks back has me intrigued, the new recruitment guy had a few hits with signings from Ireland so I wonder if it’s his suggestion. How good would it be to sign a capable young striker for £2-300k who fires us up the leagues and/or can be sold on at a profit 

13 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s partly why the Lee Bonis link from a few weeks back has me intrigued, the new recruitment guy had a few hits with signings from Ireland so I wonder if it’s his suggestion. How good would it be to sign a capable young striker for £2-300k who fires us up the leagues and/or can be sold on at a profit 

This is a guy I'm hoping we sign too.

Based solely on youtube clips (yeah, yeah... i know, before anyone pipes up) he looks quick, strong and scores goals and is only 23/24 years old. All of that said with the caveat that he's currently playing at a lower level than League One.

22 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It's a gamble and at that price worth it, But where are we in the pecking order for these types of players, The EPL have swathes of scouts, Contacts, Agents looking for the same player, The EPL clubs will just buy them to stop others buying them and farm them out for loans.

Championship clubs hope to pick up these loans, League1 clubs need to be of a standing where the parent club feel good letting a prospect and getting game time down here in league1.

PW has a task I don't envy, Daggers are being drawn as I post where PWs longevity at DCFC is under scrutiny, Sharp would be a good signing but after his rhetoric concerning DCFC/Fans would he really come here, There'll be other suiters I'll wager.

As for the fans the old saying from Abe Lincoln is very apt...

image.thumb.png.47097f5ef21e1318383c5d30dd63abff.png

27 minutes ago, Carnero said:

This is a guy I'm hoping we sign too.

Based solely on youtube clips (yeah, yeah... i know, before anyone pipes up) he looks quick, strong and scores goals and is only 23/24 years old. All of that said with the caveat that he's currently playing at a lower level than League One.

Pinched from elsewhere.

Bonis is in the Northern Ireland senior squad for the first time for the Euro 2024 qualifiers away to Denmark on Friday and at home to Kazakhstan next Monday.

“I see all of it. I’m on social media so I see everything everyone says. I take it with a pinch of salt, but it helps me a lot. I thrive off it. It makes me play better. When the crowd is on my case, I’ll be looking to show them what I can do,” says Bonis, 

……..should do well here then, sign him up asap! 😃

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/social-media-criticism-will-drive-me-on-to-greater-heights-says-larnes-ni-ace-lee-bonis/a196617038.html

5 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from elsewhere.

Bonis is in the Northern Ireland senior squad for the first time for the Euro 2024 qualifiers away to Denmark on Friday and at home to Kazakhstan next Monday.

“I see all of it. I’m on social media so I see everything everyone says. I take it with a pinch of salt, but it helps me a lot. I thrive off it. It makes me play better. When the crowd is on my case, I’ll be looking to show them what I can do,” says Bonis, 

……..should do well here then, sign him up asap! 😃

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/social-media-criticism-will-drive-me-on-to-greater-heights-says-larnes-ni-ace-lee-bonis/a196617038.html

If he signs he needs to sign up to this forum. He will be getting hatricks every week