Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Surprises me to see how many people want Waghorn back. Turned up once in the 3 years he was here, got worse since he left and is 33 years old. I understand we want attackers but definitely not him. I’d be on the phone to Benik Afobe if I was Warne. Even Assombalonga is a better shout than Waghorn. It shows how poor Waghorn is now when Nugent looked better than him in the friendly. I just hope we don’t spoil a good transfer window by re-signing him. Players coming back never ever work.

We’ve signed a number of players with the potential to develop. Bartley, Radcliffe, the 2 lads from Rangers off the top of my head. Just not lower league. Don’t know but suspect they’re more down to Thomas than Warne.

54 minutes ago, JohnoDCFC said:

Surprises me to see how many people want Waghorn back. Turned up once in the 3 years he was here, got worse since he left and is 33 years old. I understand we want attackers but definitely not him. I’d be on the phone to Benik Afobe if I was Warne. Even Assombalonga is a better shout than Waghorn. It shows how poor Waghorn is now when Nugent looked better than him in the friendly. I just hope we don’t spoil a good transfer window by re-signing him. Players coming back never ever work.

What would you do if Afobe and Assambalonga wanted to much in wages, or weren’t interested?

I don’t think lots of people actively want Waghorn back, as you are suggesting, it’s more a case of if he’s the best of what we can afford then they are ok with it.

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

With a new head of recruitment who is highly thought of, I was expecting some lower league gems unearthed with potential to develop and increase their value, along with a few incomings who have never met Paul Warne. Is Mark Thomas currently in residence?

478161F0-9192-4CC2-B0BC-332419068AA2.gif

No money it’s a joke of a situation even if we got a conference north player for £80k plus wages that would take up 1/3 of our allowed spend. No wonder we can’t sign any forwards if Warne is correct £200k including wages won’t get you anyone 

6 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

No money it’s a joke of a situation even if we got a conference north player for £80k plus wages that would take up 1/3 of our allowed spend. No wonder we can’t sign any forwards if Warne is correct £200k including wages won’t get you anyone 

Don't fotget what nearly happened under Morris, nearly had no club, I for one support the way we are doing our business. Also can not wait to go next week against Wigan, and support the lads. Got a good feeling about the up coming season. 

27 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

That's not what Warne said at all, it is being misconstrued by some people, either deliberately or otherwise.

He actually said that there was a certain amount of room left in his budget and he wants more 3 players (LWB, "10", "9"), but if he spent a transfer fee of say £300,000+ coupled with the wages for this player then he'd only be able bring in 1 or 2.

For some context, let's say there's £1.2m left in the budget for this season, this would mean that we could bring in 3 x players on frees/loans at £8k a week each.

But if we paid £400,000 for a player we now have £800,000 left in the budget which means we can only afford to pay 2 x players at £8k a week each.

This is basic business logic.

I'm glad we've set a budget for the playing squad and are sticking to it, it's long overdue.

Edited by Carnero

47 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

What would you do if Afobe and Assambalonga wanted to much in wages, or weren’t interested?

I don’t think lots of people actively want Waghorn back, as you are suggesting, it’s more a case of if he’s the best of what we can afford then they are ok with it.

This is it exactly. Realistically it might be waggy or nothing and I’d happily take waggy in that scenario. Would we all have liked to sign a 24 year old up and coming on the cheap who’s had a stellar season and seemingly going places? Yep, obvs. But it’s a tricky window without seemingly a huge amount of financial wiggle room.

And the following point about it being a joke of a budget is all well and good to stomp your feet about when it’s not your money and you’re not trying to balance the books. I’m disappointed we didn’t manage to take a punt of some relatively cheap prospects, but ultimately I’ve not forgotten the scenario we’re still coming out of and the dose of realism and perspective this gives.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

That's not what Warne said at all, it is being misconstrued by some people, either deliberately or otherwise.

He actually said that there was a certain amount of room left in his budget and he wants more 3 players (LWB, "10", "9"), but if he spent a transfer fee of say £300,000+ coupled with the wages for this player then he'd only be able bring in 1 or 2.

For some context, let's say there's £1.2m left in the budget for this season, this would mean that we could bring in 3 x players on frees/loans at £8k a week each.

But if we paid £400,000 for a player we now have £800,000 left in the budget which means we can only afford to pay 2 x players at £8k a week each.

This is badic business logic.

I'm glad we've set a budget for the playing squad and are sticking to it, it's long overdue.

Ignoring your own advice… 😂 

23 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

Don't fotget what nearly happened under Morris, nearly had no club, I for one support the way we are doing our business. Also can not wait to go next week against Wigan, and support the lads. Got a good feeling about the up coming season. 

This is not a criticism it’s just frustrating what Mel has done to us to be in this situation I think. 

I think we’ll do ok this season but currently it’s about a top 6 team not a top two team which depends on your albi

Just now, simmoram1995 said:

This is not a criticism it’s just frustrating what Mel has done to us to be in this situation I think. 

I think we’ll do ok this season but currently it’s about a top 6 team not a top two team which depends on your albi

Ambition *

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We aren’t going to miss promotion in the first month.

It may well be that we have to start with pretty much what we have at present and that the signings may come later in August.

I’d rather we waited for the right one and didn’t just grab what’s available in the cheap rack.

Or in the Bogofs 🤣

35 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I like the maths but transfer fees are paid (normally) over the term of the contract. So 300k over 3 years = 100k, you also need to add on Agents fees etc. But yes frees are the way to go.  It has been said by many that strikers are costing a lot at the moment and Warne (my opinion) will not be panicked into spending what he considers os over the top. 

I note a lot of people have been vocal about Charlton and Reading. Charlton look like they have brought in some decent striker talent, but there must be a reason why Warne has not signed them. It feels like Charlton are taking a bit of a financial gamble and whilst they have strikers, what about the rest of their team, is it up to it?

Reading are panicking and I bet they pushed the boat out to secure Lewis Wing.

I think we will get a perm striker in but perhaps the rest will be loans, and this year we will be able to get a better quality of loans 

17 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I like the maths but transfer fees are paid (normally) over the term of the contract. So 300k over 3 years = 100k, you also need to add on Agents fees etc. But yes frees are the way to go.  It has been said by many that strikers are costing a lot at the moment and Warne (my opinion) will not be panicked into spending what he considers os over the top. 

I note a lot of people have been vocal about Charlton and Reading. Charlton look like they have brought in some decent striker talent, but there must be a reason why Warne has not signed them. It feels like Charlton are taking a bit of a financial gamble and whilst they have strikers, what about the rest of their team, is it up to it?

Reading are panicking and I bet they pushed the boat out to secure Lewis Wing.

I think we will get a perm striker in but perhaps the rest will be loans, and this year we will be able to get a better quality of loans 

Transfer fees aren't normally paid over the length of the contract, especially the smaller ones. The amortisation of their value on the books is now spread over the length of the contract. 

The problem with some of these players that haven't signed like May, is that the wages they are demanding is way above what we value them at. We're not the MM Derby whereby we pay whatever the player demands.

22 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Transfer fees aren't normally paid over the length of the contract, especially the smaller ones. The amortisation of their value on the books is now spread over the length of the contract. 

The problem with some of these players that haven't signed like May, is that the wages they are demanding is way above what we value them at. We're not the MM Derby whereby we pay whatever the player demands.

they are, but i do agree with re smaller ones

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

What’s unusual and a bit interesting is how he/they speak of an annual budget this year and include recurrent (wages) expenses and capital outlays (transfer fees) in that one number ..

Would be interesting to know how the incoming transfer income (Knight) is being accounted for in all of this … sounds like it’s being used to either ‘bank’ or to pay off some form of debt…