Summer Rumour Mill

sage

11 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

A lot of the blogs and rumour sites called Nelson BT, have your ITK links heard anything about Washington 🤔

I’m guessing that for you sitting naked on an enormous parsnip would smart less than admitting BT got something right 😂

I’m also going to guess that you’re going to ask me whether I like parsnips 😂😂

ps Can’t find any rumour site called ‘Nelson BT’. Are you sure about this?

5 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I’m guessing that for you sitting naked on an enormous parsnip would smart less than admitting BT got something right 😂

I’m also going to guess that you’re going to ask me whether I like parsnips 😂😂

ps Can’t find any rumour site called ‘Nelson BT’. Are you sure about this?

Nelson has been linked to us for weeks 🤣

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Oxford have just been loaned an England u20 goalkeeper from Brighton. We have signed some steady League 1 players but 2 or 3 loans from the Prem could give us the edge. 

They could just as long as it’s not they have to play nonsense. They have to be worth their place in the team. I’m sure we will get one or two in attacking positions. There has been talk of Delap but it would be good to also get another quick player like Dobbin. 

10 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

They could just as long as it’s not they have to play nonsense. They have to be worth their place in the team. I’m sure we will get one or two in attacking positions. There has been talk of Delap but it would be good to also get another quick player like Dobbin. 

I think dobbin will be so much better this season. He’s got that natural ability to glide past players. I think after a month or 2 of reflecting on his finishing, working on it in pre season, he will be a real player in league 1 this year 

52 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I think dobbin will be so much better this season. He’s got that natural ability to glide past players. I think after a month or 2 of reflecting on his finishing, working on it in pre season, he will be a real player in league 1 this year 

We need loan players who are more effective than the ones we had last season.  Other than filling gaps their contribution was pretty minimal really.

I don't really know why you are so convinced Dobbin will be better.  He didn't improve much over the course of last season from what I could see.

Edited by Blondest Goat

52 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

End product just let him down a lot of the time but he showed he is definitely capable, definitely a prospect.

30 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

We need loan players who are more effective than the ones we had last season.  Other than filling gaps their contribution was pretty minimal really.

I don't really know why you are so convinced Dobbin will be better.  He didn't improve much over the course of last season from what I could see.

Some of their contributions were minimal. I’ve raised this point many time before, regardless of his frustrating lack of finishing Dobbin had a direct hand in us collecting points last season. He scored 3 and assisted 4 in the league during his first season of men’s football. He had raw pace and the ability to panic defences. Whilst he definitely could have done more given the chances he wasted, there’s plenty of reason to believe a 20 year old with those raw talents could improve. 
We might find better loan options, or at least more consistently effective ones, but he wasn’t the disaster some people like to paint him as. 

I never thought he was a disaster.  He was likeable and I desperately wanted him to do well.  After the dust has settled on the season though you would have to say that his return for the minutes he had on the pitch was pretty low.

I just don't think he improved that much over the course of the season.  He lacked composure at the end of the season as he had done at the start.  Not sure that's something that is coachable.  

If we're dead-set on playing a back 3 and wingbacks, then I'm not sur there's any point loaning Dobbin again. Warne clearly didn't trust him as a wingback last season.  So you're stuck with playing in the forward line, and I think that limits his chances to run at players (which is by far the thing he's best at), and he's clearly not a great finisher either.

7 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I never thought he was a disaster.  He was likeable and I desperately wanted him to do well.  After the dust has settled on the season though you would have to say that his return for the minutes he had on the pitch was pretty low.

I just don't think he improved that much over the course of the season.  He lacked composure at the end of the season as he had done at the start.  Not sure that's something that is coachable.  

Perhaps not coachable, but something that players learn and develop as they mature physically and with experience in the first team.

The percentage of 19/20 year olds who start their careers as the finished product will be extremely small. Now I’m not saying Dobbin is at this level as I don’t believe he will be, but as clear examples Harry Kane wasn’t the striker he is now at 20 years old, Drogba wasn’t, Henry didn’t develop into the devastating player he was until later in his career, De Gea became a better keeper as he aged, Ronaldo went from scrawny, frustrating and talented tricky winger into a pure beast as he got older.
Dismissing any young player’s career, be that Dobbin or Knight or Bird or Sibley or whoever, just seems short sighted for me. Plenty don’t make it, plenty do, Dobbin has played one full season of men’s football and could build on that this coming season wherever he ends up playing. 

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

I’d definitely take Dobbin back if we can. He has potential and think he will be even better next season as you say.

4 hours ago, jimbobram said:

I agree, getting Dobbin back would be massive.

30 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

I agree, getting Dobbin back would be massive.

But we're aiming for automatic promotion.  Why on earth would we take a chance on someone who to date has shown very little end product?  If he was our player I'd be happy to have him as part of the squad, but given that he's not we've got the chance to bring in someone better.  It would show a total lack of ambition on the part of the club to have him back and I don't think for one second Warne would consider it.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Perhaps not coachable, but something that players learn and develop as they mature physically and with experience in the first team.

The percentage of 19/20 year olds who start their careers as the finished product will be extremely small. Now I’m not saying Dobbin is at this level as I don’t believe he will be, but as clear examples Harry Kane wasn’t the striker he is now at 20 years old, Drogba wasn’t, Henry didn’t develop into the devastating player he was until later in his career, De Gea became a better keeper as he aged, Ronaldo went from scrawny, frustrating and talented tricky winger into a pure beast as he got older...

But we'd be getting the '20 yr old Kane', we need goals not prospects.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

But we'd be getting the '20 yr old Kane', we need goals not prospects.

My post wasn’t necessarily advocating for us to re-sign Dobbin, though I’d be happy enough if we did so long as he fit the system Warne wants to use this season (possibly/probably doesn’t this season unless he plays him up top which I don’t see).

More the point @Blondest Goat made about composure not being coachable. I think composure can be coached to a point in any player but more importantly it develops with experience. As a sweeping generalisation young/inexperienced people in any walk of life can be impulsive. Calmness and composure comes naturally to some and develops over time with others. The Dobbin of last season lacked composure at times, he may well improve that composure as he progresses in his career, whether that’s at Everton, here or elsewhere, that’s my point.