Summer Rumour Mill

sage

45 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Could it be Bird ? I think this is a make or break season for Max. If he can’t improve his stats in this league he never will. When was the last time a team showed any interest in Bird ? He has to take a massive step forward this season.

His job has never been to score goals or get assists though.  He gets goals and assists at the same sort of rate as other holding midfielders do at all levels.  Rodri only got 1 more goal and 2 more assists than Bird did last season, and he's probably the best holding midfielder in the prem and played for a title-winning team.  Bird got more assists than Declan Rice did (although a few less less goals) and he's a possibly about to be an £80m+ player.

Ironically, if you actually want Bird to get more goals and assists, then you tell him to literally never pass to wingers/wingbacks (as they're much less likely to score themselves, so Bird won't get assists) and just shoot from 30 yards every single time he gets in that sort of range - a few of them might creep in.  Job done, Bird inflates his stats, but is the team better? Absolutely not.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Exactly. Who was creating those goals and assists? 

I don't get all this plucking names out of stat lists and dumping all our own players every season. Some fans need to be careful what they wish for.

It's a team game.

Agree with that but we need proven goalscorers in.

There’s no guarantee May, JCH and Co would score but there’s at least evidence they might. 

Without McGoldrick there’s no one in the current squad I’d back to score more than ten goals and very few who would score more than five.

I’ve seen some young strikers named but none of them has scored prolifically at this level.

I think realistically Knight and Bielik will go to follow their ambition. We need both midfield players and attackers and I wouldn’t be surprised if half a dozen came in with more of our existing squad leaving (perhaps Barkhuisen and Hourihane).

Exciting times and I’m glad we’re taking our time to get the right blend in.

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Depending on what goes on at Ipswich, I wonder if Ladapo would become a viable target for us. They’re moving to sign Ellis Simms for £4-5m and will probably bring Hirst back. In a team that plays with one striker, he’s probably going to be relegated to third choice. 

Played for Warne before, too. Wouldn't spend anything decent on him though given his age. But would have him.

32 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Depending on what goes on at Ipswich, I wonder if Ladapo would become a viable target for us. They’re moving to sign Ellis Simms for £4-5m and will probably bring Hirst back. In a team that plays with one striker, he’s probably going to be relegated to third choice. 

I think they fell out after he handed in a transfer request at Rotherham 

Just now, Big Trav said:

New contracts on the table for: 

- Wildsmith

- Cashin

- Bird

- Rooney

- Smith

- NML

- Knight

No idea on the length of deals offered 

Expect Knight to leave, Bielik very close to Brum. 

Think we've had the best from these two players.  NML was a busted flush in the last 3 months of the season in Warnes system.  Now he's doing flights to Guatemala and all over Central America, I can't see that getting anything but worse.   Could be we're planning on playing him up front as an option.  If so that's a worry.  

25 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Linked with us before, under Rooney, if memory serves?

Jan 2021, possibly more of an attempt to unsettle him (considering they were a relegation rival) than a genuine interest, because it's not like we could realistically have bought him at the time.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-rotherham-striker-ladapo-4971975

22 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think we've had the best from these two players.  NML was a busted flush in the last 3 months of the season in Warnes system.  Now he's doing flights to Guatemala and all over Central America, I can't see that getting anything but worse.   Could be we're planning on playing him up front as an option.  If so that's a worry.  

NML was electric in the first half of the season - arguably a top 5 performer for us.

I think he's just one of those players that fades in the second half (in games and in the season as a whole) and I'm sure Wednesday fans said exactly the same thing.

You're right though - adding international games in to the mix will make matters worse.

48 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

New contracts on the table for: 

- Wildsmith

- Cashin

- Bird

- Rooney

- Smith

- NML

- Knight

No idea on the length of deals offered 

Expect Knight to leave, Bielik very close to Brum. 

Agree with those. No Barks, Hourihane or Collins. Agree with that too and perhaps means they could go. The latter might explain the Washington link. Interesting times...