Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Easy thing to say. Harder thing to achieve. Players in their prime tend to move to clubs at a higher level than we currently are and cost more money than we are looking to spend.

fair enough, maybe prime is the wrong word - but players on the up and capable of giving us a few years service.

we saw this season that having so many old players in the squad isn't sustainable over a long season

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Since Forsyth will be 4th or 5th choice CB, it makes perfect sense to loan Rooney out to ensure he gets game time and continues his development. I'll be very disappointed if we don't loan him out. Same for Tommo.

I think that would make sense if we're a Championship club. Rooney is 19, nearly 20 now, and Thompson is 21.  If we think they're good enough to play first team football at League One level, then they should be here playing (semi-regularly at least) for us.  If we don't think they're good enough for that level, then it's hard to see them ever making at the level we want to be playing at, so we should be looking to move them on.

I'd keep both of them here personally, especially Rooney (given how versatile he is).

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think that would make sense if we're a Championship club. Rooney is 19, nearly 20 now, and Thompson is 21.  If we think they're good enough to play first team football at League One level, then they should be here playing (semi-regularly at least) for us.  If we don't think they're good enough for that level, then it's hard to see them ever making at the level we want to be playing at, so we should be looking to move them on.

I'd keep both of them here personally, especially Rooney (given how versatile he is).

What sort of game time are you expecting him to get if he stays? Historically, Warne has mostly used just 4 CBs throughout a season, with 5th choice rarely getting over 500 minutes on the pitch in all competition.
It would be in his best interests to go out and play every game for another side. Add a recall clause for January so we can reassess his development and look to making him a regular in our first team. At the moment, he's not good enough to be a regular in a top 2 side.

Warne's job is simple, to make us stronger than Barnsley, Bolton, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Wycomb, Reading, Blackpool and Wigan.

It's likely that all of those teams will strengthen in the transfer window.

We have started the transfer window by weakening the team, our best player left us.

We have one striker left and he's not scoring 15 plus goals in a season.

Pw likes to play 352. I reckon that means we need at least 3 strikers, and potentially 4 strikers since it would be good to have players we can rotate.

We were one of the smallest teams in the league and it showed towards the end of the season, when our players looked tired.

If this is to be a promotion push changes then the 5 or 6 new players we need, should be signed soon to give them time to bond with the team.

Pw will definitely be a failure in my eyes if he signs relatively few players before the window closes. 

It's bringing in talent that attracts other players to sign, in the belief we are a club that wants to progress. 

Pw knows these things, but in my opinion he doesn't get to hide behind, we'll we tried to sign these players but we're out bid.

At least not with free agents.

I'm not buying into his excuses that they have to be team players either, there's nothing wrong with having some quality talent that wants to be treated that way. We are not building a children's football team that has the desire to let every player play, but a team that needs to have the desire to win.

Pw will know that we must sign defenders because we are weak in that area.

If you have limited financial means as a club you don't wait for the perfect player to come along in order to be able to create the perfect team.

In the past we tried to play the so called "Derby way", look how that worked out for us. Now we have the pw way, it might or might not work out for us.

4 hours ago, Srg said:

Have a quick look up how many goals Plymouth’s strikers got last year as a prime example of why there’s more than one way to do it. 

Agree on this, 20 goal a season man will be nice of course. But we need more goals from all over the pitch.

Attacking midfielders need to be chipping in close to double figures for goals and Plymouth is a great example of that. 

And Warne bangs on about it enough, but we need more from defenders on set pieces as well. If Cashin can get 4/5 goals in a season imagine how many more points we'd get.

Plymouth scored 15 more goals than us, but their top scorer had 9 less. Shows how much is was spread around!

Surely someone with Jason Knights quality, RB/RWB or midfield should be scoring more than 2 in a season

3 hours ago, Srg said:

What are you talking about 😂

I said we don't need one man to score 25, then you've argued it by saying teams play with multiple number 10s... which is true, and they score goals so the striker doesn't have to. And Forest... their best striker scored 10, and their winger got 8. So again, point proven.

All I'm saying is if you can get a striker that scores 15 and makes those around him work and you end up with them getting 8-12 goals a piece then we are better off overall. It's not that crazy.

Point not proven - Brennan Johnson is not a winger . This is getting boring.