Wrexham is there success way over the top in the media?

ziggyram59

Wrexham have just become champions in the National League(Non League Football) and congratulations to them but because they have 2 famous Hollywood actors as there owners the media go way over the top you would have thought they had won the Champions League. Even Burnley's promotion to The Premier League never got this type of reaction. 

Edited by ziggyram59

Living in the Nottingham conurbation and having a few mates who support The Pies it is definitely ott. 

If County had been promoted as Champions then there wouldn't have been anywhere near the media clamour we saw yesterday, which in some quarters was quite nauseating.

£2.5k a week wages for footballers playing in the Vanarama league says it all. 

My own hope is that County don't fluff the playoffs this time and compound the injustice. 

They will be challenging for top spot in league 2 next season.

It is way over the top but I like the story, I think they bought the club for the right reasons and seem determined to go as far as they can rather than a short term publicity stunt.

In my opinion the EFL need to wake up to the benefits of social media and putting their product out there instead of sitting in the corner and doing what they are told by the premiersh*t.

They consistently undersell the product they have and maybe having a glimpse into how Wrexham generate interest and money may bring them kicking and screaming into the modern age.

I also hope, by the way, that Notts County get promoted.

It's way over the top, considering the money spent on the team. In reality, they've got a league 1 team albeit one that would likely struggle at this level. You've got to question just how deep their pockets are and how long they'll be able to subsidise that level of investment. If i was a conference team I'd be furious with what Wrexham have done tbh.

when players are leaving League 1 clubs to sign for a conference side, I'd expect the wages to exceed 3-4 k a week for those players.  Ben Foster likely more. Regarding Notts County, I'd like to see them back in the league.  Lets not forget though, that it wasn't long ago they were signing Sol Campbell, Kasper Schmeichel etc and had Sven as manager in the bottom tier. Derbys spending was bargain basement compared to that insanity.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Living in the Nottingham conurbation and having a few mates who support The Pies it is definitely ott. 

If County had been promoted as Champions then there wouldn't have been anywhere near the media clamour we saw yesterday, which in some quarters was quite nauseating.

£2.5k a week wages for footballers playing in the Vanarama league says it all. 

My own hope is that County don't fluff the playoffs this time and compound the injustice. 

I also live in Nottingham Tyler Durden and feel gutted Notts County didn't gain automatic promotion and I have a feeling they will miss out in the play-off's, also I can see them losing Macaulay Langstaff next season with the amount of goals he has scored this season

13 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

I also live in Nottingham Tyler Durden and feel gutted Notts County didn't gain automatic promotion and I have a feeling they will miss out in the play-off's, also I can see them losing Macaulay Langstaff next season with the amount of goals he has scored this season

They've bottled it the previous few seasons in the playoffs so they're due a positive outcome this time around.

Fingers crossed.

Pleased for the genuine fans of the club, but it's been completely distorted by the money sunk into it.

I've never heard of either of the "superstars" who've bought Wrexham so I'm a bit fed up of seeing them plastered all over the BBC website. I'm not entirely sure when the BBC turned into Hello magazine but it's been dreadful for a while.

You've got to feel for Notts County and their fans. 

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's way over the top, considering the money spent on the team. In reality, they've got a league 1 team albeit one that would likely struggle at this level. You've got to question just how deep their pockets are and how long they'll be able to subsidise that level of investment. If i was a conference team I'd be furious with what Wrexham have done tbh.

They've spent virtually nothing on transfers though. Yes the wages are probably a bit higher than other teams in that league, but they aren't exactly drowning the club with money. If the level of investment stays as it is they'd be able to do that indefinitely

And if you are going to question how deep Reynolds pockets are we'll have to do the same with Clowes. Reynolds doesn't just make his money from movies - he's sold a number of company stakes for very good money in the past. 

EDIT: Just had a quick look and turns out they have only paid one transfer fee in the entire time they have been there. They've also increased the revenue to record levels. Still made a loss of £2mill, but its not exactly massive is it. Not sure why you are all so upset about a club that nearly ceased to exist having a very modest amount of investment plugged into it.

Edited by GenBr

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

They've spent virtually nothing on transfers though. Yes the wages are probably a bit higher than other teams in that league, but they aren't exactly drowning the club with money. If the level of investment stays as it is they'd be able to do that indefinitely

And if you are going to question how deep Reynolds pockets are we'll have to do the same with Clowes. Reynolds doesn't just make his money from movies - he's sold a number of company stakes for very good money in the past. 

EDIT: Just had a quick look and turns out they have only paid one transfer fee in the entire time they have been there. They've also increased the revenue to record levels. Still made a loss of £2mill, but its not exactly massive is it. Not sure why you are all so upset about a club that nearly ceased to exist having a very modest amount of investment plugged into it.

Best post in this thread. A lot of hot air from some of our posters who easily forget a wealthy businessman saved our Club - Wrexham were on their knees before their new owners arrived, not too dissimilar to our situation. Blame the media for the ott hype - they're the ones milking the situation.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Pleased for the genuine fans of the club, but it's been completely distorted by the money sunk into it.

I've never heard of either of the "superstars" who've bought Wrexham so I'm a bit fed up of seeing them plastered all over the BBC website. I'm not entirely sure when the BBC turned into Hello magazine but it's been dreadful for a while.

You've got to feel for Notts County and their fans. 

Tbf, Ryan Reynolds is a genuine A-List celebrity.

I can’t really knock them. They’ve obviously pumped a lot of money in, but they clearly “get” the club and seem to genuinely love it. The atmosphere looks amazing too.

there will become plenty of frustrations now FFP will be kicking in for them next season and them having the write out massive cheuqes to cover the losses each season.

there is definitely a limit to what they can achieve at wrexham & its probably the championship where they will be amongst everyone else of losing 20m a year and can they or will they subsidize that if they arent winning every week

the higher you go in the leagues the less ability you have to sign players way above the level you are playing, they have done a really good job at marketing themselves and the club at that level.

Edited by alram

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Tbf, Ryan Reynolds is a genuine A-List celebrity.

I can’t really knock them. They’ve obviously pumped a lot of money in, but they clearly “get” the club and seem to genuinely love it. The atmosphere looks amazing too.

So he might be but I've still never heard of him. 

Only 70 miles from Burton, even closer from Manchester! 

data=vXxPMwxbEyeG2y5JUdgHpx4FrVOcpfSIP23ja1GA_VJhz-wSW4OGr9YcHeY5GKGClTSQdGb0CcITbmXkj0XIXhfL3_ivnY4U2UvhGoCQWJ0q4US9g5momTMZXlzQqRFhFpqQF1lDzqQw7mVDapWSQTod9e3mVBsUDimPlIda,ETL3pLDSXPPSBs14p4cPWD.png

data=CHD5VqxUuIkWTNMb23ItaQeELDUUlN67AfyIkgjxcE_aHayj4oMptSCB-sSVEflDq9uJVagQIExvclaxmt1wmc7Kmu2eMQwj8viHrcx784C_VrdBXpxmKNNyoGQZxXa628jVAtiBqRNsRyVwPbgKT5P0QrNNbo8pGurGUAV3,6Wvuf40KWlgE5u1eyq9gr5.png