Wrexham is there success way over the top in the media?

ziggyram59

5 hours ago, GenBr said:

They've spent virtually nothing on transfers though. Yes the wages are probably a bit higher than other teams in that league, but they aren't exactly drowning the club with money. If the level of investment stays as it is they'd be able to do that indefinitely

And if you are going to question how deep Reynolds pockets are we'll have to do the same with Clowes. Reynolds doesn't just make his money from movies - he's sold a number of company stakes for very good money in the past. 

EDIT: Just had a quick look and turns out they have only paid one transfer fee in the entire time they have been there. They've also increased the revenue to record levels. Still made a loss of £2mill, but its not exactly massive is it. Not sure why you are all so upset about a club that nearly ceased to exist having a very modest amount of investment plugged into it.

They've made losses of 3 million on their investment already and invested 10 million overall. Now I don't follow conference football closely but those don't sound like modest sums for a team in the fifth tier of english football. This is just in the conference, let alone the money they'll spend once they get into league 1 or the championship. I don't know how deep their pockets are, which is why I questioned the sustainability. We've seen so many stories such as this go awry once the owners get stuck in the depths of League 2 or 1, the excitement dies down, and the investment becomes an anchor on them. 

My bet is Clowes won't be running the club for the next fifteen to twenty years, and my gut tells me that's not his vision. He seems like a sensible man who will know he'll, at some point, have to either sell or bring in other backers if we become a premier league team. He bought the club literally because we were probably a week away from extinction, and the bloke is a fan. We're not spending outrageous sums for the division or, as far as I know, living beyond our means. Who knows, given our strong crowds and thin squad we may not even post a loss. Not exactly the same as the whole Wrexham story is it... Some of the bigger stars are rumoured to be 3.5-4.5k a week, with teams complaining about them basically financially doping the league. 

9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Living in the Nottingham conurbation and having a few mates who support The Pies it is definitely ott. 

If County had been promoted as Champions then there wouldn't have been anywhere near the media clamour we saw yesterday, which in some quarters was quite nauseating.

£2.5k a week wages for footballers playing in the Vanarama league says it all. 

My own hope is that County don't fluff the playoffs this time and compound the injustice. 

Wrexham's top earner is on the same as what we were allowed to give to players such as Davies, Jagielka, Allsop and Racel last season.

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

They've made losses of 3 million on their investment already and invested 10 million overall. Now I don't follow conference football closely but those don't sound like modest sums for a team in the fifth tier of english football. This is just in the conference, let alone the money they'll spend once they get into league 1 or the championship. I don't know how deep their pockets are, which is why I questioned the sustainability. We've seen so many stories such as this go awry once the owners get stuck in the depths of League 2 or 1, the excitement dies down, and the investment becomes an anchor on them. 

My bet is Clowes won't be running the club for the next fifteen to twenty years, and my gut tells me that's not his vision. He seems like a sensible man who will know he'll, at some point, have to either sell or bring in other backers if we become a premier league team. He bought the club literally because we were probably a week away from extinction, and the bloke is a fan. We're not spending outrageous sums for the division or, as far as I know, living beyond our means. Who knows, given our strong crowds and thin squad we may not even post a loss. Not exactly the same as the whole Wrexham story is it... Some of the bigger stars are rumoured to be 3.5-4.5k a week, with teams complaining about them basically financially doping the league. 

Sky are the only one I can find to quote your £10 mill figure, but even so that's not all been spent on the squad. New academy, new stadium, new infrastructure etc - stuff they won't be spending money on again. As previously stated only a single transfer has involved a transfer fee since they took over and the club is only losing £2mill per year as it currently stands even with the slightly higher wages. They will have no issue funding that sort of loss for decades - there is no reason why they need to start spending big in League 1 or League 2 - what an odd take to have - both leagues are still very low on resources. 

As for your second paragraph I have no idea what you are trying to say. Derby are not living beyond our means, but nor are Wrexham. Derby are currently not allowed to spend money on transfer fees - its not because we are some altruistic club trying to avoid the temptations of money and we're doing the exact same with wages as Wrexham are where we are allowed to.  Breaking news - team with highest attendances in the National League and the biggest income also spends the most on wages. The other teams are complaining because they don't like the competition, same as the teams in the Prem complaining about Newcastle. But yes despite us doing the exact same thing Wrexham should be ashamed of themselves - Derby fans are a funny lot sometimes.

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Pleased for the genuine fans of the club, but it's been completely distorted by the money sunk into it.

I've never heard of either of the "superstars" who've bought Wrexham so I'm a bit fed up of seeing them plastered all over the BBC website. I'm not entirely sure when the BBC turned into Hello magazine but it's been dreadful for a while.

You've got to feel for Notts County and their fans. 

If you ever wanted an illustration of that glance over to the BBC app - on the Top Stories page there's a video of Ryan Reynolds gatecrashing the promotion party to get a signed shirt off someone.

This is the BBCs Top Story page - this article shares the same page as the war in Sudan, Diane Abbott getting suspended and the chief inspector of OFSTED giving an interview regards the headteacher whom committed suicide after an uncomplimentary inspection result.

Beggars belief. The BBC are so far up Ryan Reynolds behind that they can just about see the soles of Rob Mcelhenneys trainers. 

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Sky are the only one I can find to quote your £10 mill figure, but even so that's not all been spent on the squad. New academy, new stadium, new infrastructure etc - stuff they won't be spending money on again. As previously stated only a single transfer has involved a transfer fee since they took over and the club is only losing £2mill per year as it currently stands even with the slightly higher wages. They will have no issue funding that sort of loss for decades - there is no reason why they need to start spending big in League 1 or League 2 - what an odd take to have - both leagues are still very low on resources. 

As for your second paragraph I have no idea what you are trying to say. Derby are not living beyond our means, but nor are Wrexham. Derby are currently not allowed to spend money on transfer fees - its not because we are some altruistic club trying to avoid the temptations of money and we're doing the exact same with wages as Wrexham are where we are allowed to.  Breaking news - team with highest attendances in the National League and the biggest income also spends the most on wages. The other teams are complaining because they don't like the competition, same as the teams in the Prem complaining about Newcastle. But yes despite us doing the exact same thing Wrexham should be ashamed of themselves - Derby fans are a funny lot sometimes.

They've lost 3 million, not 2, and that's with a 400% increase in turnover.  The money they've spent on wages at that level is ridiculous and it's not a football fairytale is my point. They don't need to be spending big transfer fees to be blowing out the competition off the pitch so they can succeed on it. Whether you agree with their right to do it is a different question and one that goes beyond the remit of the thread. 

My main concern is their interest wanes once the excitement of owning a club goes away. If they rack up significant losses and then walk away, as owners in the past have done, then the club could be left in a sticky situation. I didn't say they'd need to spend big in League 2 and League 1, I suggested League 1 and the championship level is where they may be more likely to gamble more heavily. I stand by that approximation if they hang around Wrexham for that long. 

My second paragraph was in response to yours about Clowes not having deep pockets. I thought that was obvious tbh. Do you honestly think the wages at Wrexham are a result of their higher attendances? I think you're simply mistaking correlation for causation tbh. There is competition and blatant unfairness which I think you're confusing. A competition would lead to a relatively even playing field giving each team a reasonable opportunity to compete against one another. I'm not sure that's what's really going on here. If you approve of Newcastle basically pimping their football team out for some sports washing good for you, personally I find it sickening. 

Did I say the Wrexham fans should be ashamed? or the players? or the owners? 

Congratulations to Wrexham, I even watched the game on Saturday, and was glad to see them win.   Their fans nearly lost their club, and it’s great to see a venerable old club (3rd oldest?) getting back to where they should be.  We need clubs like this to be in the EFL to displace trash like Wycombe and Forest Green etc…

I do feel for Notts County, like many of said if they would have done the same this season their success would be a footnote at most.  Looking at the points tally it would suggest that they should walk the play offs, but we all know what a crap shoot they can be.

But I have found the coverage OTT.  Only the fame of their new owners have driven it.  I am currently listening to Radio 2 and in the half hour of her show, Zoe Ball must have mentioned it three times.

On 23/04/2023 at 10:49, Loughborough Ram said:

They will be challenging for top spot in league 2 next season.

It is way over the top but I like the story, I think they bought the club for the right reasons and seem determined to go as far as they can rather than a short term publicity stunt.

In my opinion the EFL need to wake up to the benefits of social media and putting their product out there instead of sitting in the corner and doing what they are told by the premiersh*t.

They consistently undersell the product they have and maybe having a glimpse into how Wrexham generate interest and money may bring them kicking and screaming into the modern age.

I also hope, by the way, that Notts County get promoted.

Spot on. It was the PL after all that instigated the breakaway.

Streaming services are the future and with big teams dropping in to League 1 there's more interest in the lower leagues than just the championship. Alas Sky have renewed their contract with the EFL so coverage will continue to be championship based and a odd Salford/Wrexham match.

I hope they are managed well long term. Yeovil Town are on the brink of Administration today after years of mismanagement following their rise to the Championship only 9 years ago. Now the best they can hope for is National League South! A fine club I have seen play at many levels over the past 20 years who failed to consolidate having reached the Championship and have plummeted as a result. 
I wish Wrexham and Notts County well but as we know chasing success carries with it great risk!

1 hour ago, chezzyram said:

A lot of love for Nottingham on here so just a gentle reminder that there's another Derbyshire club in the National League playoffs even if it is in the frozen North of the county and the BBC have decided we're now an enclave of South Yorkshire!

Yes, they would fall into the bracket of a proper club that should displace the aforementioned trash in my previous post.

You do just feel that with the points total that Notts have accrued, without superstar owners, that they deserve it this year

4 hours ago, chezzyram said:

A lot of love for Nottingham on here so just a gentle reminder that there's another Derbyshire club in the National League playoffs even if it is in the frozen North of the county and the BBC have decided we're now an enclave of South Yorkshire!

If Chesterfield win the play-offs, I'll be delighted. If Notts win the play-offs, I'll think it is at least deserved (and it will mildly annoy some Forest fans).

4 hours ago, chezzyram said:

Come on Taahn! Also averaging about 7-8k in the 5th tier of English football. Sod off Sheffield City region, we're Derbyshire! 

Derby link alert - Former Ram Dave Jones is a first team coach at Wrexham.

As for the OTT manner of their promotion, fair play to them.  The Reynolds & McElenny bought us, pump the relative money into the club, brought success, and had Hollywood A listers visiting The Brunswick for a pre game pint we'd all be loving it.  Supporters of other clubs denying it are just salty...

On 23/04/2023 at 09:19, ziggyram59 said:

Wrexham have just become champions in the National League(Non League Football) and congratulations to them but because they have 2 famous Hollywood actors as there owners the media go way over the top you would have thought they had won the Champions League. Even Burnley's promotion to The Premier League never got this type of reaction. 

Of course it is over the top.

But so was ours with Lampard or Rooney as manager.

Celebrity is what gets clicks. That's just the way it is.