Forest Green Rovers (A) Friday 7th April, 3pm KO

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Would be lovely to think yippee we won 3 points who cares if we win ugly. Lots of people will be saying that. But so long as we still haven’t found a shape and style that creates a team that exceeds the sum of the parts, I don’t see how we go up. And the frustrating thing is this: look at those ‘parts’; in Knight, Bird, White, McGoldrick, Forsyth and Cashin we have players who are decent/strong players in the championship any day of the week.  Exactly half of those players didn’t even start today ! 

Potentially with one eye on Monday? That’s the logic I’m holding on to. Bird hasn’t quite been at it since coming back from injury so giving him a rest while we grind out an away win could be exactly what was needed. 

13 minutes ago, jono said:

They didn’t start and yet we still won. There is a serious mini cup completion coming, Warne is rotating when he can because it’s intelligent to do so. Those players will be key if we have play off battles. Today we are still in that fight and they are fully charged for Monday. 

If he were getting the best out of those players, they would be key 

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

If he were getting the best out of those players, they would be key 

Warne can’t win can he? Well, he can cause we did today, but with the fans I mean.
People have been crying out for him to try something different, to give Sibley minutes, to stop the rot etc. We win away and he does some of those things, yet there’s still criticism. It wasn’t a great performance but sometimes you have to win ugly, it’s a squad game and he used the squad today.  
To pick up on your point Knight, McGoldrick and Cashin all started, Bird and Forsyth came on today….we won. McGoldrick has 20 goals this season, suggesting McGoldrick is most definitely a key player, so Warne must be doing something towards that? 

Even some scaffolding would have helped. I couldn’t see the ball half the time, blended in with the hoardings. Reminded me of that game at Pompey where they had to film game from not much more than ground level. Horrendous 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

That was what I feared, seeing the team. It's just ridiculous if so.

I think it's unusually unfair of @Ellafellato single out a player and say he needs to step up when that player is being played hopelessly out of position. For me, Warne is the one who should be called out here. I would say Warne needs to change it to move Sibley into the middle of the park.

Credit to Sibley for doing his very best despite playing out of position. But if you have a player like him who has  moments of inspiration (particularly in front of goal) and then long periods of quietude, why on earth would you play him anywhere but up the pitch ?