Points Deduction, Who's Next And When Will It Stop?

ram59

There never seems to be a period of time when one or more clubs seem to be about to suffer a points deduction. Who's next, will it be Everton, Reading, Birmingham or some other team who have kept under the radar? The remainder of last season's accounts are due to be released and should give an indication of clubs' trading, post covid. Alarm bells will be sounding around the country and I suspect that points deductions will become a standard fixture in our league tables.

Hopefully, by working to our agreed business plan and the careful stewardship of DC, we won't be one of those teams for years to come. I'd like to say never, but we don't seemed to have learnt our lesson from previous financial problems over the last 40 years.

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

There never seems to be a period of time when one or more clubs seem to be about to suffer a points deduction. Who's next, will it be Everton, Reading, Birmingham or some other team who have kept under the radar? The remainder of last season's accounts are due to be released and should give an indication of clubs' trading, post covid. Alarm bells will be sounding around the country and I suspect that points deductions will become a standard fixture in our league tables.

Hopefully, by working to our agreed business plan and the careful stewardship of DC, we won't be one of those teams for years to come. I'd like to say never, but we don't seemed to have learnt our lesson from previous financial problems over the last 40 years.

That's one lesson we've never learned as a club.

A period of stability is invariably followed by a new chairman who says, in best Michael Caine voice, "I've got an idea" - just as the rear wheels of the bus slide off the edge of the cliff.

It won't stop, until the EPL stops 'earning' (and spending) the billions it generates through TV monies home and abroad both for clubs and associated businesses and until the EPL stop paying parachute payments that directly reward clubs for failure.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Oh dear.  Someone's bought a ticket for another party that isn't going to occur.  Some proper specimens at that club.

I can't put my finger on it...maybe the accent 🤷‍♀️but that club has always got under my skin, 2nd City that should always be in the PL, But with W**k support over decades they only kid themselves Happy Birthday Wtf GIF by Piñata Farms: The Meme App

Why have the EFL not been approving the deals they have done as they happen?

Surely when they transfer the registration, quick look at the deal sheet as well wouldn’t be overly time consuming for them.

It’s like they have been told these are your restrictions and then just let them get on with it.

47 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So we got it in full then ! Reading let off to survive and given a great chance to escape real punishment again  - sounds about normal 

They are still getting a six point deduction. How is that being let off? Theyve already had another 6 deducted in a previous season. We only got 9 deducted for breaching the rules - hardly miles apart is it. If Reading enter administration i'm sure they'll be deducted another 12 like we were.

46 minutes ago, GenBr said:

They are still getting a six point deduction. How is that being let off? Theyve already had another 6 deducted in a previous season. We only got 9 deducted for breaching the rules - hardly miles apart is it. If Reading enter administration i'm sure they'll be deducted another 12 like we were.

We got all nine points in one season they didn’t get all 12 points in one season 

The Reading explanation seems fair enough to me. Obviously it grates that we weren't given the same opportunity, am assuming our Administration complicated matters.

https://newsletter.readingfc.co.uk/i/LAcXa0t5gMNEIaxKGGuQMRVNos9Rf2HE5ClU9Q1n09Q

Last season, the club entered into discussions with the EFL on our punishment for breaching Profit & Sustainability rules. The club came to an agreement on a six-point deduction in 2021-22, with six points suspended until 2022-23 if an agreed plan to fill the financial gap was not followed. Those terms were admittedly ambitious, requiring significant player sales income – but had the club not agreed that plan, our points punishment last season would have been more severe and – to be clear - would ultimately have led to relegation from the Championship. Despite our very best efforts throughout the course of this last year, and for a complex variety of reasons, player sales income wasn’t achievable to the level needed to meet the plan and, despite all the progress we made in reducing our wage bill, because of that we failed to meet the agreed terms. We came up with an alternative and viable solution, which would have satisfied the financial shortfall requested – but the new independent Club Financial Review Unit were expecting player sales in accordance with our agreed business plan and they informed us in March that, as that original plan hadn’t been adhered to in the methods we had set out, we were in breach. And we have no option but to accept that. 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We got all nine points in one season they didn’t get all 12 points in one season 

Whats your point? Its two different situations. We essentially got 3 x 3 point deductions for 3 breaches and would have got another 3 deducted if we breached the terms of the budget. How many breaches did Reading have? I suspect its two, but in either case no need for the woe is me stuff - we aren't being unfairly treated.