England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

This is the team that stopped Italy getting to the World Cup 9 months after Italy stopped us winning Euro 2020. Football's a strange game.

That’s the bit people are not giving England enough credit for tonight. They beat the Italians 1-0 little over a year ago; yet couldn’t handle the England pressing tactics at all.

You don’t get results like that being utter dross; England did really well tonight.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

England are genuinely world class now. We were the better side against France when we lost in the World Cup.

I think we will go into Euro 2024 as favorites. 

i think if one of the younger CBs improves this season, we have a good chance

England were very impressive tonight. Their press was non stop, all over the pitch. Shaw has some engine on him. TAA settling into the midfield roll well and found some great positions, several that were missed and could have resulted in even more chances. Definitely looking promising 

57 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

England are genuinely world class now. We were the better side against France when we lost in the World Cup.

I think we will go into Euro 2024 as favorites. 

So much talent in the side. Kane the best number 9 in the world for me. Saka and Bellingham edging towards being world class. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

So much talent in the side. Kane the best number 9 in the world for me. Saka and Bellingham edging towards being world class. 

Saka is already there for me. He roasted France’s left side when we played them, and they resorted to just fouling him. We lost all momentum when he went off. I think he is already the best wide forward we have had in my lifetime.

Bellingham is amazing. 

I concur with the others. Our defence isn’t the best and Walker probably only has two more tournaments left in him (the second at a push). A breakthrough world class CB and we have a pretty complete side. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Saka is already there for me. He roasted France’s left side when we played them, and they resorted to just fouling him. We lost all momentum when he went off. I think he is already the best wide forward we have had in my lifetime.

Bellingham is amazing. 

I concur with the others. Our defence isn’t the best and Walker probably only has two more tournaments left in him (the second at a push). A breakthrough world class CB and we have a pretty complete side. 

Stones is world class

We’re probably a starting CB away from being world class all over the pitch. Maguire is generally pretty good for England but we can’t go into the Euros relying on a player who probably won’t play much football next season if he stays at United.

We also lack any real depth behind Kane. Rashford is used more out wide. Toney & Abraham both unavailable for most of next season. Wilson is good but injury prone so he might not even be available.

I wish we gave Balogun a go ahead of Toney last time round, instead he’s gone off and chose the US. 21 goals in Ligue 1 would’ve been worth a try, now that option is gone.

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Step forward Fikayo Tomori. 

Chris Smalling has also been performing well at Roma this season. I hope Southgate can give some of these players that choose not to go down the Premier League route a go before it's too late for them. Bellingham is a one off in the squad and even he had to wait until Kalvin Phillips had an injury before he took his chance to really show what he could do for England.

7 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Stones is world class

Let's not go too far here. He's a very good defender and has shown versatility under Pep's coaching this season.

However, in my opinion, he is fortunate to be surrounded by other top players, so when he makes a mistake it often isn't critical. I think he's an excellent player, but he isn't what I'd call world class. We need a solid and dependable defender next to someone like him or Tomori to complete a strong spine.

6 hours ago, Kernow said:

We’re probably a starting CB away from being world class all over the pitch. Maguire is generally pretty good for England but we can’t go into the Euros relying on a player who probably won’t play much football next season if he stays at United.

We also lack any real depth behind Kane. Rashford is used more out wide. Toney & Abraham both unavailable for most of next season. Wilson is good but injury prone so he might not even be available.

I wish we gave Balogun a go ahead of Toney last time round, instead he’s gone off and chose the US. 21 goals in Ligue 1 would’ve been worth a try, now that option is gone.

We've got options at CB, but you're right, none are world class currently, and those that are promising aren't in the managers plans currently as he keeps it settled with his preferred pairing.

The number 9 department is more of an issue. In the short term, we need Kane to stay fit. An injury to him while Abraham is recovering from his ACL and Toney is banned from football would be a big problem. I think Abraham is the like for like replacement long term, but who knows how he will recover from an ACL injury. After that, there's not a ton of English strikers coming through - Delap (not a good season last season) and Jebbison (Canadian by birth, so would he rather represent them?) are the only ones that spring to mind.

Mavididi has been doing well at Ligue 1 Montpelier, but he is more of a wide attacker, like Rashford.

2 hours ago, roboto said:

Let's not go too far here. He's a very good defender and has shown versatility under Pep's coaching this season.

However, in my opinion, he is fortunate to be surrounded by other top players, so when he makes a mistake it often isn't critical. I think he's an excellent player, but he isn't what I'd call world class. We need a solid and dependable defender next to someone like him or Tomori to complete a strong spine.

What more does stones need to do to be in that bracket? Every time I watch him he's excellent. There are not many central defenders better than him.

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

What more does stones need to do to be in that bracket? Every time I watch him he's excellent. There are not many central defenders better than him.

He needs to be consistent across the whole season and be the main bedrock in the City defence. The fact that he's been moved to full-back and DM for City this season shows that he's a good and versatile player, but not first choice at CB against Akanji, Dias, Ake and Laporte - obviously they are excellent too. Out of the the City CBs I would call Reuben Dias World Class, with Akanji having potential to be.

Maybe I have set my expectations of what "World Class" is higher, but you need to be in the top 10/20 players in the world in that position for me and he isn't there right now.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

Glad to see Tomori back in the squad… don’t know how Maguire, Phillips and Henderson are in 

Isn't funny how all England managers seem to get themselves to this point.   They get long in the tooth then keep picking their favourites well beyond their use-by date. Often seems to happen with captains.

First saw it with Bryan Robson. Later with Beckham, Rooney and others along the way.