England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t know what I was more surprised to see tonight. Trent Alexander-Arnold in a number 10 shirt, or Andros Townsend commentating

Unfortunately for Andros, he'd used all his superlatives within the first 20 mins so didn't have anywhere to go.

A 20 yard pass along the floor that broke the midfield and actually went into the stride of the England player was "world class".....

29 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It borrowed from Klopp using, er, Alexander-Arnold in a midfield role

Weirdly most football fans had spent the last season saying that TAA was a crap full back and that it would make more sense to play him in midfield - when Klipperty finally had the balls to try it, he’s lauded as some sort of genius….and now Southgate is getting credit for it as well….

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

He's not terrible. But he's a bit limited and shown before that in pressure situations he has lacked imagination.

The England infrastructure has been improving for years so he does have far superior resources. Expectations are therefore higher.

The use of Trent Alexander -Arnold has been both imaginative and tonight successful -if perhaps borrowed from pep guardiola using stones.

Or maybe, just maybe, he is a decent manager and this is reflected in a quarter final, semi final and final in major tournaments?

Some world class level managers at club level, have shown before that managing the England national team is not as easy as our armchair experts believe.

Its not as simple as just picking your best 11 players, you need to be able to create a harmony between players that are big rivals when they are away from International duty.

Its just clear by now that no matter what he does in the rest of his England career it will never be enough for some. 

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t know what I was more surprised to see tonight. Trent Alexander-Arnold in a number 10 shirt, or Andros Townsend commentating

That's who it was...another blindingly poor...I'm lost for words 😱

36 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

He'd also not enforce the follow-on if he bowled Aus out cheaply 

And taken the team off for bad light when offered with only 2 runs needed...no wickets down and 3 hours to play to win the Ashes 😁

Edited by The Last Post

At World Cup 2022, England were the 3rd highest goalscorers, with only the 2 finalists scoring 1 and 2 more goals than us.

We also had the  joint 4th best defensive record only conceding 4 goals, with all of the teams that conceded less going out in the group stages. 

So as much as people may believe Southgate is a defensive manager, it doesn't appear to be to the detriment of the attack. 

Last night was the first time Malta had conceded over 2 goals in nearly 2 years as well I believe and we had done it by half time.

On 17/06/2023 at 08:27, G STAR RAM said:

At World Cup 2022, England were the 3rd highest goalscorers, with only the 2 finalists scoring 1 and 2 more goals than us.

We also had the  joint 4th best defensive record only conceding 4 goals, with all of the teams that conceded less going out in the group stages. 

So as much as people may believe Southgate is a defensive manager, it doesn't appear to be to the detriment of the attack. 

Last night was the first time Malta had conceded over 2 goals in nearly 2 years as well I believe and we had done it by half time.

Those stats are heavily skewed by the Iran drubbing where they lost their keeper early and just gave up.

Even the commentary on Friday expressed surprise that Malta tried to play rather than sitting in. Their decent ish results were based on mass defence. We were 3-0 up at halftime without really creating a lot.

I think therefore you'd say England are clinical rather than creative.

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

He has played it before tbh but not been too successful with it.

Depends on getting the right 3 in midfield and both rice and Henderson are fairly slow.....

Not a bad three in Henderson Rice and A-A.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not a bad three in Henderson Rice and A-A.

A-A is interesting. I'd like to see him with Rice and then a player there to make the killer passes....more of a 10. Perhaps Mount.

However, I think Gareth Southgate has tried a single pivot in a three man midfield before and it didn't work so what do I know?

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A-A is interesting. I'd like to see him with Rice and then a player there to make the killer passes....more of a 10. Perhaps Mount.

However, I think Gareth Southgate has tried a single pivot in a three man midfield before and it didn't work so what do I know?

Surely A-A is there to make the 'killer passes'? Henderson as CDM and Rice box-to-box?

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely A-A is there to make the 'killer passes'? Henderson as CDM and Rice box-to-box?

I see Trent as more the runner....the up and down, and Rice more naturally at cdm.

Maybe Bellingham as the playmaker/passer.

But if each can do a bit of each role that's probably even better.