England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Is that the right approach? It could be the perfect approach for international football. Or maybe an elite manager would see us playing that prime Spain and blowing opposition away. Do you stick on 19 or do you twist, and hope you get 21

Think it’s lost with how revolutionary they were at the time, but that Spain team was pretty attritional. 

They would pass you to death without really carving you open. Their last four games in 2010 were 1-0.

In a funny sort of a parallel, Del Bosque favoured two sitters in Alonso and Busquets, Xavi was pushed up to #10 and Iniesta was punted left wing. One of Torres or Villa would miss out, sometimes even both in favour of Fabregas as a false 9.

If memory serves me right, Euro 2008 was even David Silva wide-left, Marcos Senna, Xavi and Xabi Alonso as a three and Iniesta wide-right.

International football’s pretty much whoever can keep the ball best - with your odd attritional Greece thrown in.

Maguire, Stones, Phillips hardly played any football this season - Rashford has been a shadow of his former self - I don’t get how Southgate can pick those players and yet claim he selects players on their form…. Bellingham and Kane get us back in the game but Italy look as level above us in the first 30 minutes…..

Edited by Gaspode

Deserved equaliser. 

We desperately need another CM to play with Rice. Now Bellingham is playing so far forward, it needs a CM not a CAM like Maddison.

Rashford left his man twice now.

Edited by sage

1 minute ago, sage said:

Deserved equaliser. 

We desperately need another CM to play with Rice. Now Bellingham is playing so far forward, it needs a CM not a CAM like Maddison.

It’s the missing piece. For all the attackers we’re producing we still don’t have that type of playmaker. Where’s our Our Xavi? Our Modric? Our Kroos? Even Griezmann’s reinvented himself for France.

Even a Xavi Alonso or Pirlo type would do.

We criminally underused Carrick and misused Scholes. We’re crying out for either now.

Just now, cannable said:

It’s the missing piece. For all the attackers we’re producing we still don’t have that type of playmaker. Where’s our Our Xavi? Our Modric? Our Kroos? Even Griezmann’s reinvented himself for France.

Even a Xavi Alonso or Pirlo type would do.

We criminally underused Carrick and misused Scholes. We’re crying out for either now.

Agreed. Sadly there is no one out there. I still think it's because every time we (at club level) get a CM with skill we get obsessed with playing them further forward.

Mount has been ruined by playing as a 10 or 11 rather than as an 8. The same was happening to Maddsion and still is to Foden.

Just now, cannable said:

You’re joking (I think), but he and Winks are the two best we have for the role need, which is a bit of an indictment.

They are the only 2 of this type. Bird is probably in thr top ten of this type and he is in League One. Crazy.

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

You’re joking (I think), but he and Winks are the two best we have for the role, which is a bit of an indictment.

That is not a good take. Even Trent in midfield is a better option, and Ward Prowse definitely is.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

That is not a good take. Even Trent in midfield is a better option, and Ward Prowse definitely is.

Ward-Prowse isn't the same kind of CM. Klopp needs to start playing TAA in midfield for England's sake 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Ward-Prowse isn't the same kind of CM. Klopp needs to start playing TAA in midfield for England's sake 

I would say Ward Prowse is exactly that type of midfielder, one to play passes for tempo from deeper, Trent would also do the role well.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

I do find rashford frustrating sometimes. We don’t look too great at the back. 

Everything is coming through their wing backs. They have only been dangerous when Foden and Rashford have lost their men. We have got the players to match their formation so this will be an interesting half.

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Eh? Ward-Prowse isn’t the type to receive the ball in tight spaces but still keep things ticking over.

Trent definitely isn’t. If he’s going to develop into a midfielder he’ll end up a the type to zip passes forward from deep. That’s no guarantee though. It’s totally different drifting in-field and coming onto the ball then zipping one forward than it is receiving it on the back-foot half-turn and doing it.

Edited by cannable