England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

International management is a different animal and from watching England for 30+ years, having the best manager on paper doesn't guarantee results. 

Southgate on the whole has done a good job. We've definitely seen an improvement in the matches that matter and I think with some more luck we might have won something. The main thing for me is at least we are competing against the big teams now. In the past we had a horrible habit of fumbling against any world top 8 side. Now I feel against France or Italy for example, we are at least as competitive. We was one penalty miss away from beating a superb French side. Where his major downfall lays is he cannot change games if things go wrong. I've never seen England turn a game around on his tactical or sub changes. If he had that quality in his locker, he'd be one of the best international managers.

Biggest concern is his stubborn loyalty to players who aren't playing every week. He's got to start trying out players Tomori against teams like Ukraine because I can't see Maguire lasting long performance wise if he won't be playing much at Man Utd. Stones can barely play 25 games a season. Where's the succession plan? 

Good old Arry Redknapp would be a perfect England manager but it's too late now. We need that type of motivating manager and the quality of the players will take care of itself.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we're at the stage now where Maguire could have 2 broken legs but still make the squad as Southgate refuses to drop him due to all the abuse he's receiving.

In a way, fair play, I mean it has been over the top and totally uncalled for.

However, he's played 26 minutes of Premier League football this season, having turned down a move to West Ham knowing he was out of ETH's plans...how can you justify starting him?

We had the Ireland and Poland managers wanting Knight and Bielik to get moves away to stay in their plans.

Not great for us, yet you understand why the managers would want that.

Keep Maguire in the squad, give him some love, don't alienate it, but don't start him either. 

You should be playing week in week out and performing at club level, not riding off previous seasons performances.

I do like the Bowen inclusion though. Can see why he would be in there ahead of Sterling, makes sense, which is why the Maguire situation makes little sense.

IMG_3698.png

3 hours ago, littleover ram said:

He should be moving aside Henderson, Phillips, Maguire and going for younger players who have started the season well - Gordon, JWP, Longstaff

Anthony Gordon is giving me Gareth Bale vibes now he is filling out. He has started the season really well and will only get better. He looks physically powerful when he gets going and Newcastle look a far more dangerous side when he is playing.

I’d start Gordon on the left ahead of Rashford who is seriously overrated, and Maddison who would be wasted out wide.

Having Rice holding, Bellingham and Foden centrally ahead in two 8s, plus Gordon, Saka and Kane. That is an amazing front six.

Edited by Bris Vegas

Maguire should be in the squad as David says but nowhere near starting, he is world class in the air so is a threat from set peices and has alot of England experience so would be in the squad for me but in the last few years he has played like an absolute donkey and he isn't playing games so definitely shouldn't start. I'd give Colwill and Tomori some starts ,would eventually play one of them next to Stones would be an absolute Rolls Royce defence compared to Maguires clumsiness. If he doesn't move in January I would drop him from the squad all together.  Things will get toxic if Southgate keeps on starting him, he will get deaththreats and things will get more serious so Southgate isn't helping him.

No doubt Tomori will spend the the two matches sat on the bench without getting a look in... again.

What does Southgate need to see from him to give him his chance at starting? AC have lost one match all season, to Inter, and Tomori was suspended for that game. In the 8 games he's played for Milan this season they have conceded 3 goals, and in the match he was suspended they scored 5. That's how important he is to their team. Why can't Southgate see it?

On 06/10/2023 at 09:34, Srg said:

Southgate losing all credibility. Only some players are subject to his "merit" system, whereas Maguire can never play, Phillips can sit on his arse and Henderson can retire but all still get picked. 

He won't lose credibility until England start losing matches.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

He won't lose credibility until England start losing matches.

I don’t think he will get resounding credibility until he finally manages to guide us to victory over a good team. So far his record against anyone remotely decent (Belgium, Croatia, Italy and France) is to lose them all.

We played well against France at the World Cup and that has offered hope.

I’d love us to get somebody like Portugal in the last 16 or 1/4s and beat them well. But we’ll probably get somebody like Switzerland or Austria, and finally get a good team at the semi-final stage where getting there has already been dubbed a success.

Fixtures have been so kind to Southgate during his reign as England boss. 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t think he will get resounding credibility until he finally manages to guide us to victory over a good team. So far his record against anyone remotely decent (Belgium, Croatia, Italy and France) is to lose them all.

Italy 1 England 2 (Euro 24 qualifiers, March 2023)

England 1 Croatia 0 (Euro 20 finals, June 2021)

Obviously there was also

Croatia 2 England 1 (World Cup semi, July 2018)

If you're counting UEFA Nations League as worth anything:

Italy 1 England 0 (September 2022)

England 0 Italy 0 (June 2022)

England 2 Croatia 1 (November 2018)

Croatia 0 England 0 (October 2018)

Agreed that his record against Belgium and France (in anything that matters) could be better. Personally I thought England played well against France in the World Cup and should have kicked themselves very hard for not getting through.

Not a huge fan of Southgate but I do think his results (especially in the context of most previous England managers) have been good enough to cut him some slack. I'm also not sure who is both available and would do a better job!

EDIT: I have of course conveniently forgotten the Euros final! Although it was down to the lottery of a penalty shoot-out... having said that, I didn't think that game made a good case for Southgate. He seemed intent on going old-school Mourinho after taking the lead, and Italy were deserved winners.

Edited by jameso

35 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

I hope he tries TAA in midfield with Rice and Bellingham tonight. Would be very disappointed if the usual faces Phillips and Maguire are given a run out instead.

I'm not sure you're going to get your wish but I hope so! I think he might go with tried-and-trusted because a safe draw leaves England needing only one more win from two matches to be sure of qualification.

At his heart, he's uber cautious. Which is why he sticks to his pals Phillips, Henderson and Maguire, and is also why we lost the Euro finals when he didn't make a sub til extra time after deciding to sit on an early goal lead against a very average Italy team.