England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

8 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

We've struggled whoever is in the dugout. As of recent I wouldn't say we have struggled. With Southgate we are getting better.

Unfortunately his face will never fit with a lot of the football hipsters, the same hipsters that would most likely have drooled over the appointments of Erikkson and Capello. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, cannable said:

And rightly so.

It’s one of the positions you need a player you trust and he’s never let England or Southgate down.

Nonsense. You want a player who is playing regularly at club level and playing well. Maguire is doing neither and can't even get his place back from Shaw who is primarily a left back.

Southgate dropped one of his other favourites in the form of Sterling and he should have done the same with Maguire. Just because he likes the guy is not a good reason to have him in the squad.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Nonsense. You want a player who is playing regularly at club level and playing well. Maguire is doing neither and can't even get his place back from Shaw who is primarily a left back.

Southgate dropped one of his other favourites in the form of Sterling and he should have done the same with Maguire. Just because he likes the guy is not a good reason to have him in the squad.

Of course it is. You get about three weeks a year working international players. You want continuity down the spine. Hence Phillips as well.

29 minutes ago, cannable said:

Of course it is. You get about three weeks a year working international players. You want continuity down the spine. Hence Phillips as well.

Nope. You won't convince me that we should be picking players because they've played for England before. I hear Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney used to play for England as well - better get them in the squad as well then.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

And rightly so.

It’s one of the positions you need a player you trust and he’s never let England or Southgate down.

Made to look a complete mug as Hungary broke away to score their 4th last season.

Ok, not a "tournament" failing as such and he was by far not the only player to have a complete mare that night, but to suggest he has been completely infallible in an England shirt is imo wide of the mark.

but i suspect there is no credible alternative atm

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Made to look a complete mug as Hungary broke away to score their 4th last season.

Ok, not a "tournament" failing as such and he was by far not the only player to have a complete mare that night, but to suggest he has been completely infallible in an England shirt is imo wide of the mark.

but i suspect there is no credible alternative atm

Fikayo Tomori, Dan Burn, Ben White, Ben Mee, Max Kilman all had better seasons than Maguire. Ok, some of them are probably a bit too old to be considered as a long term prospect, but what sort of message does it send to other players when Maguire can put in several poor performances, get dropped by his club in favour of players who are injured or playing out of position and still make it into the squad?

30 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Nope. You won't convince me that we should be picking players because they've played for England before. I hear Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney used to play for England as well - better get them in the squad as well then.

So you’d pick every England squad ever based completely on form?

43 minutes ago, roboto said:

Fikayo Tomori, Dan Burn, Ben White, Ben Mee, Max Kilman all had better seasons than Maguire. Ok, some of them are probably a bit too old to be considered as a long term prospect, but what sort of message does it send to other players when Maguire can put in several poor performances, get dropped by his club in favour of players who are injured or playing out of position and still make it into the squad?

personally i would like to see Fik and Ben White given chances. but we all know that Southgates innate conservatism means he simply does not give first chances in qualifiers. even if its against the Kosovo Paper Boys Second XI......🤣

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

personally i would like to see Fik and Ben White given chances. but we all know that Southgates innate conservatism means he simply does not give first chances in qualifiers. even if its against the Kosovo Paper Boys Second XI......🤣

Ben White's continued absence might be linked to his leaving the world cup squad.

Don't mind Maguire's inclusion to be honest. Whilst nowhere near his best for United, he had a good WC and had a big part to play (good and bad) in Englands recent win in Italy, our first there in 62 years. I think his relationship, understanding and chemistry with the squad along with his decent form for England justifies his inclusion.

Lewis Dunk and Marc Guehi are being given a chance ahead of the likes of Tomori, White, Burn etc. The argument should be why Guehi over Tomori IMO, not Maguire. Leaving out Maguire would leave us with only Stones and Mings as the two senior centre halves in the squad. Not to mention half the players listed in this thread aren't regularly playing CB this season for their clubs...

The midfield I'm not overly excited by. Gallagher, Maddison and Phillips have all had 'meh' seasons and haven't really added much at this level previously. Phillips showed a bit during Euro 2020 but has hardly kicked a ball since. Hopefully Bellingham, Rice and Hendo take most of the minutes. 

Tough decision to be made up top as one of Rashford/Grealish/Saka will likely be left out of the starting 11 if he continues with his normal system. 

1 hour ago, roboto said:

Did know much about this Kilman fella.  Seems he was looking for a chance to play for Ukraine where his parents are from but playing for another country at 18 in a totally different format has stopped that .  You can play full internationals for another country and then switch however.  That makes sense.

In March 2021, Ukraine coach Andriy Shevchenko announced that he had formally asked FIFA to switch Kilman's national allegiance to Ukraine, but also enquired of them as to whether his appearances for the England futsal team would make him ineligible for Ukraine.[29] On 7 April 2021, FIFA rejected the application, confirming that his appearances for England in competitive futsal matches ties him to playing for England in any form of football.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

If macguires powers are waning, then isn’t now a good time to start phasing in someone new? Is Southgate just going to play the same players until they turn to dust, or is he going to ever phase any out and get some new favourites?

2 hours ago, cannable said:

So you’d pick every England squad ever based completely on form?

Yes i'd be picking the best players for the best positions who are playing regularly at club level, which is precisely what Southgate said he would do when he firsted started.. I certainly wouldn't be picking players who barely play just because he might have been good about 5 years ago. We have much better centre backs who are being completely overlooked for no reason.

19 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

If macguires powers are waning, then isn’t now a good time to start phasing in someone new? Is Southgate just going to play the same players until they turn to dust, or is he going to ever phase any out and get some new favourites?

Well i thought he'd dropped Sterling, but as another poster pointed out it was a mutual agreement, so know i dont think he'll drop his favourites unless they retire. Hopefully this is his last tournament

38 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Yes i'd be picking the best players for the best positions who are playing regularly at club level, which is precisely what Southgate said he would do when he firsted started.. I certainly wouldn't be picking players who barely play just because he might have been good about 5 years ago. We have much better centre backs who are being completely overlooked for no reason.

Who’s ‘much better’ though? We’ve hardly got Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell or King to pick from have we?

It’s some nondescript CB like Ben Mee, Michael Keane, James Tarkowski etc.