England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

First squad of a new tournament cycle…

How underwhelming. Maguire, Philips don’t deserve to be in. Gallagher and Mount haven’t been good enough really this year. Toney about to have a huge ban for betting….

What more does Tomori need to do? what about trying Balogun?

Southgate has been in the job too long and has fallen into the England manager trap of just picking favourites. 

Safegate doing what Safegate does...

Tomori, Balogun, Abraham, Angel Gomes and maybe Mavididi (soft spot because he's a Derby-born lad) deserve a look at some point, but the net seems to only go as far as the EPL - with Bellingham being considered because of the hype before he'd even left to play in Germany.

I would hope that some of the players in that squad are nowhere near contention by the time the tournament comes around.

Same old, not sure why anyone is surprised.

Kalvin Phillips for example, nothing against the lad, hasn't started a single Premier or Champions League game this season yet here he is in the squad.

Southgate will sit there straight faced and tell the media he picked the squad on form, won't be questioned on that. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64988328

So southgate basically admitting he only picks players from the premier league?

He says he might have to pick players from elsewhere or the championship if more english players dont start playing in the prem.

So if youre playing abroad dont even bother thinking about playing for england

10 hours ago, GenBr said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64988328

So southgate basically admitting he only picks players from the premier league?

He says he might have to pick players from elsewhere or the championship if more english players dont start playing in the prem.

So if youre playing abroad dont even bother thinking about playing for england

That's not really true though - Bellingham has become a fixture while playing in Germany and Trippier was a regular squad player when he was at Atletico Madrid.

It sounds to me more like he was pushing PL clubs to sign more England qualified players, futile though that may be.

He seems to have a bit of an issue with people playing in the Italian league in particular. 

But funny that we’re playing Italy specifically. Wouldn’t it have been useful to have a defender that knows some of these players and has played against them. If tímido doesn’t get a look in now, when will he. This the the best time to play him. 

57 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That's not really true though - Bellingham has become a fixture while playing in Germany and Trippier was a regular squad player when he was at Atletico Madrid.

It sounds to me more like he was pushing PL clubs to sign more England qualified players, futile though that may be.

I see now most of the controversy is about Tomori in particular not being selected for a game against the country in which he plays. I've admittedly no Idea whether he's in good form or not, but I can understand why you raised the point now.

On 16/03/2023 at 15:59, BucksRam said:

Maguire, Philips, Dier, Gallagher, James (Mr Sicknote)? Mount's done little this season, nor has Henderson.  So predictable, so boring.

What about Tomori, Ben White, Solly March, Watkins....even Ben Mee who has been exceptional. 

I don't get Tomori ahead of Maguire.

Deschamp does the opposite, if a player plays for CL club wherever that might be, he will consider the player for the France team. The simple reason is that the level of CL is on a par with international football, and Ligue 1 isn't.

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Deschamp does the opposite, if a player plays for CL club wherever that might be, he will consider the player for the France team. The simple reason is that the level of CL is on a par with international football, and Ligue 1 isn't.

Get that.  Just think he deserves a chance and is more than good enough.  It's about time we moved on but don't see it under Southgate unfortunately 

4 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Tomori has been a regular starter for AC Milan 3 seasons now, including the 2 most recent seasons in the Champions League.

Maguire has barely played this season and plays for a club competing in the Europa League.

6 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I don't understand this

sigh.gif.e47f3aa7378facad1d7a903bff64868f.gif

Outside of the two major tournaments, I cannot muster much interest in the International game. Even qualifiers are dull, one sided but low scoring affairs.

I think you'll find that most England supporters are fans of the lower league clubs, seeking to watch big name players and grab a bit of glory.......Oh wait.

PS. Agree with the earlier comments: Southgate's selections and tactics are hardly something to inspire renewed enthusiasm.

Edited by IslandExile