England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

One thing I have noticed this evening is the cdms making runs from deep into the box.

I could swear that a year ago Phillips would have just sat rather than getting into that goal scoring position.

How much of that is club training or England training can't be known.

Careful. You were dangerously close to giving Southgate some credit there.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Careful. You were dangerously close to giving Southgate some credit there.

Now now.....I've said before he's a decent manager. He's got a lot of really good players and he's sort of fortunate that there doesn't seem to be a media talisman that he "must" pick.

He hasn't yet shown the nous to prevail against tougher opposition in tournament football. If he can bring more of the joi de vivre and less of the "let's score early and cling on" then he may very well end up winning something and then being regarded as "great". No argument from me if he does that.

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

Now now.....I've said before he's a decent manager. He's got a lot of really good players and he's sort of fortunate that there doesn't seem to be a media talisman that he "must" pick.

He hasn't yet shown the nous to prevail against tougher opposition in tournament football. If he can bring more of the joi de vivre and less of the "let's score early and cling on" then he may very well end up winning something and then being regarded as "great". No argument from me if he does that.

So if he wins the World Cup, there's no argument from you?

Just now, sage said:

So if he wins the World Cup, there's no argument from you?

Nope.

We had an easy run in 2018, got tonked by Belgium on the way, but badly out thought by a good Croatia.

We had a tougher run in the 2022 world cup, but again fell at the hurdle of the first decent team.

I'm jumping to a conclusion that you can't win a world cup without beating at least one top team playing well. Germany came close in 2002 tho....