Gary Lineker

Day

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Looking at the BBC website it’s not about criticism of the Government it’s comparing it to 1930s Germany is the problem. This could be seen by many people to be trivialising the holocaust so could be classed as a hate speech.

My understanding is BBC wanted Gary to tone down the language but he has refused so I am expecting a statement from the BBC sometime today before the MOTD, clarifying their position on the subject.

This is what I’ve been thinking. If the BBC really didn’t like his ‘leftie’ tweets they would have binned him ages ago. It’s about the words he used, not his sensibilities. 

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

For those triggered, offended or just plain irritated by the raging activist that is Gary Lineker, I have a novel and high-tech remedy to all your woes...

tenor (40).gif

I'd find it hard to turn down the volume on a programme that I don't watch but thanks for the suggestion!

It’s no secret that I have no respect for the Lineker s ,Neville’s or lycetts of this world, I just find they’re hypocrisy tiresome but accept that s a matter of opinion , for me I hope this episode serves to make people re evaluate the response to people expressing different views 

I don’t want him sacked for expressing his opinion away from match of the day , this cancel culture has troubled me since the beginning of covid and a bit before and I’ve been open about that , how wrong would it be for me to now call for the same on Lineker? But I I do hope those who have been defending it are able to now see the danger in it as it all comes down to who’s in charge of dispensing it as musk shows , it’s not what aboutory 

thanks to stations like gb news who some despise and would have off the air my view on drag queen story hour has softened,, why ? 
because they have been impartial enough to have a drag queen come on and debate in a sensible manner , it all comes down to the content and it not being the thin end of a wedge for more inappropriate stuff being pushed on children ,

if we don’t have freedom to express views without fear of losing jobs , being cancelled, death threats ect ect ect we are ducked , our society is becoming ever more fragmented heading towards boiling point , both sides are to blame for this??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

For all the "progressives" on here, how happy are you to support someone who is trying his damnedest to avoid paying tax when even if he paid it he'd have far more that most of us on here could dream of?

I think as Derby fans we should be really careful about taking the moral high road regards paying the full amount of tax. 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is no balance.  This suits as he can declare himself a brand and use various loopholes to avoid a large tax bill and Class 1A National Insurance.  He will have been careful to avoid contract of service to fall into an employee category.  I would assume that HMRC have pushed for this under grounds that he enjoys all aspects of his work, as it's in his field of expertise, rather than a presenter who may or may not like the product they are promoting like a Lorraine Kelly who used a similar contract.  It all stinks

The balance being, his claim is that the BBC pushed them into the ltd company model a few years back. Whether or not you believe him is up to you.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disagree. The case has also been going on for years, so of course Lineker has been tweeting for years. And he's been fully immersed in the world of tax evasion for years so is well primed over it, given his brother was convicted in 2006 and was on trial for it again in 2012. Gary is not naive. Does he actually care a jot? It's impossible to know. I do really doubt it since, if he was a decent human being he would obviously be happy to pay the tax he owes and give something back to society. Even when viewed in the kindest light, he is on the extreme side of tax-avoidance schemes. Why doesn't he pay his share when he's so privileged?

We can disagree on this, no problem. My question is, putting aside personal feelings, do you think his tweet and subsequent reluctance to take it back would justify a sacking from the BBC?

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We can disagree on this, no problem. My question is, putting aside personal feelings, do you think his tweet and subsequent reluctance to take it back would justify a sacking from the BBC?

It seemed deliberately more triggering - the language he used is hard to ignore.

There is the usual split on here but it's interesting that it's almost a role reversal. He's a 'leftie', bleeding heart but is basically about protecting free-speech and if ignored it opens the door to every famous person being taken down for any political view expressed.

16 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

It seemed deliberately more triggering - the language he used is hard to ignore.

There is the usual split on here but it's interesting that it's almost a role reversal. He's a 'leftie', bleeding heart but is basically about protecting free-speech and if ignored it opens the door to every famous person being taken down for any political view expressed.

I actually dont think it is the usual split.

I don't want Lineker on my tv because I think he is up his own arse, arrogant, overpaid, hypocrite, who brings nothing to MOTD that any other presenter could do for half the price. 

However, I think, like everyone else he should be allowed freedom of speech, obviously if he wants to exercise that and it conflicts with his terms of employment then he should resign.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

It's exactly the same isn't it?  The BBC taking 11 pundits to Qatar for the World Cup affects our day to day lives about as much as leaving the European union doesn't it?

Its almost as good a comparing the British Government trying to implement measures to bring illegal immigration under control to a regime that brutally murdered 6 million people...