V Plymouth (a) 7th March 20.00

Boycie

28 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Would love to have seen what would have happened had he done it too Mackay or John McGarth to name just two........Warne should show the young lads this on how to do it

Reckon there was one booking in that game!!

35 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Would love to have seen what would have happened had he done it too Mackay or John McGarth to name just two........Warne should show the young lads this on how to do it

Was that the FA Cup replay? that drop kick towards the end in the box...hells bells...I even winced ?

21 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Are you actually hitting sixty or really hitting forty and being a Derby fan has made you feel you are hitting sixty?

I felt forty @CBRammette despite supporting DCFC. Though after last seasons ‘Have we still got a club’ I now feel seventy despite being nearly sixty. Think I’ve got that right 

I used to worry when the opposition scored first as they tended to close ranks and make it impossible to break them down. Now I'm more worried when we're in front...

Couple of observations from the last couple of games when certain flaws have been exposed.

1. We lack the kind of galvanising leadership you need at this level (probably at any level to be fair) at this stage of the season. Both official captains have been out and stand in Fozzy is a legend but quietly leads by example. Of the other experienced players we have, none are the type to grip the game by the scruff of the neck and rally the troops. We've really needed that during this dip in form. 

2. Linked to the above, we have a soft centre. Our central midfield is made up of technically gifted players, not without energy but deficient in muscle and bite. The team was obviously composed to deliver Rosenior's high possession football but without the kind of player doing the brutal, ugly stuff, Warne's high energy, high press, open tactics can be exposed by teams who flood the midfield or play through the lines like Plymouth did last night. We are too nice in the middle of the park.

3. Warne hasn't yet been able to demonstrate the in-game management to respond to teams who change up. This has been exposed in the last couple of games and people have alluded to the limited options, which is fair, but we do have players who can fit different formations and I don't think we've sensed danger quickly enough in light of the threats from the opposition. It's not enough to just run about more when the chips are down, we've got to be smarter than that.

You can say these issues aren't resolvable with the current embargo, we have an incredible squad under the circumstances and it's amazing we are competing for the play offs, take nothing away from that. But now we are here, we have to seize the opportunities and I don't think the senior players or Warne have done enough with the resources we've got in recent weeks.

All that said, we have a run of games that are winnable and a chance to get ourselves back on track until the next big test which will be Ipswich.

Still all to play for.

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

I felt forty @CBRammette despite supporting DCFC. Though after last seasons ‘Have we still got a club’ I now feel seventy despite being nearly sixty. Think I’ve got that right 

If you ever get to 70, you'll realise that although you've physically slowed down, mentally you still feel as though you're 20 but with the added advantage that your experience has made you 50 years wiser. Yesterday I went to Plymouth on the 50th anniversary of me being in Czechoslovakia, watching the Rams in the first leg of the European Cup quarter-final first leg against Spartak Trnava. We lost that game by a goal too but we came through in the second leg to reach the semi-final. I hope there might be some sort of good omen there for our end to this season. I was 20 then, I'm 70 now. A lot has happened in between.

We've still got a club despite four near misses on the way - Webb in the High Court 1984, Maxwell ripping us off, The Three Amigos and Mel Morris. We're Derby 'til we die and we've been here for 139 years.

So get a grip of yourself young man and act your age ?.

I think I've got that right.

On 07/03/2023 at 22:05, Rich3478 said:

This bunch of renegades were 16 games unbeaten, without ever looking like losing. Last seven games have been a real turn around from that. Three defeats and some pretty poor performances. Bird being injured can’t be the sole reason.

also the having a club to support so be happy thing is getting old for me. That’s in the past, I want to look at the league and think how we progress and get back to the championship. Can’t just turn up and be blindly happy forever because of last season.

Although I agree with your sentiment.  The saying 'Rome wasn't built in a day' springs to mind.

You need to manage your expectations. 

This is probably a team that is a mile away from a team Warne would have put together to play his vision of football.  So under the circumstances he has done a pretty good job. 

Our best players are also our older players. We have a small squad. They are expected to go and play every week sometimes twice a week. 

Yes we had a good run but we are coming up against teams that have been established in this league  they can buy players to fill shortfalls.  They know the little tricks to spoil flow etc.

I would love an instant return to the championship.  But what then? We still have to endure another season relying kn loans and freebies. Would this squad survive in the championship? 

If it happens we will see

27 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Is there someone out there in our football authority world who has the balls to re view and retrospectively charge that phucker for diving...No!...I thought not ? 

Thing is authroties will use video footage to retrospectively catch a violent act on the pitch so why not this?  Difficult if its subjective and contact has been made, but were there is daylight get them punished.

32 minutes ago, alfaskye said:

Yes there was slight contact so yes it was a penalty but is there not a law still of ungentlemanly conduct that the ref could have used to book him?

No its not a penalty. A penalty is awarded when a foul has been committed. A brushing together of the leather of two football boots is NOT a foul.

If every barely perceptible brush of laces like that was a foul all over the pitch at any time and in any circumstances, the game would never generate any momentum at all , it'd just be foul... foul... foul.. every time you challenge for a ball. Every defender and midfielder would be on a yellow in minutes or they simply don't risk a tackle of any sort and let the player walz through, fundamentally changing how the game is played.

That was a dive, pure and simple and the ref has bought it.

1 hour ago, alfaskye said:

Yes there was slight contact so yes it was a penalty but is there not a law still of ungentlemanly conduct that the ref could have used to book him?

So, there should be about 50 penalties and 200 free kicks awarded every game?