Accrington Stanley (H) Mon 2nd Jan, 3pm KO

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I guess can still be correct (and in this instance it was), but decisions shouldn't be made off guesswork.

Like I said, none of them spotted it. The 4th official guessed at what happened.

How do you know the fourth official guessed? You’re quite literally guessing at that you sound a little strange.

The fourth official guessing at something that happened - you know - almost like she saw it! Credit where credit is due - the ref and links were incompetent and the only one who did see it correctly was the fourth official. Maybe that is how it should be phrased!

Edited by rammieib

Well that couldn't have happened to a nicer John Coleman!!!I have been watching Deby County since the Derby County 5 Tottenham Hotspurs 0 in the Brian Clough years, and have never seen such a poor team. Absolutely the worst by several country miles, whose sole game plan was to gently drop to a sitting/recumbent position in order to claim a free-kick, and then push, cajole and finger point the Derby players and yell and whinge at the ref to get Derby players booked.

Our play was "exceedingly good" to part-quote a well known baker. Much as I wanted Osula to start in place of Collins, putting McGoldrick at the front paid huge dividends. He was able to have more influence on the match than he has done all season, simply from him playing just that little bit further forwards. His ability to hold the ball off his opponents, or take the ball off them, and to see passes that don't exist till he plays them is brilliant - there are times when it is as if he is just out there on his own, just him and the ball, showing what tricks he can do. We are incredibly blessed to have him. But the biggest impact was having Jason Knight doing his stuff where he should be doing his stuff! A number of people on here have said that he has taken pressure off Bird and Hourihane, who had one of his best games for us. I am also baffled how Cashin can give several inches away in height to virtually everyone he plays against, yet always wins his headers! And his passing ability is really good. And Fozzy - Wow! At one point late on in the first half the Accers actually managed to play a through ball into the area which almost put them through, until Fozzy decided that he ought to do something about it, and simply strolled across like a Rolls Royce cruising down Mayfair! Magnificent!

Performances were all high, with everyone scoring over 7, although how could anyone play badly against that lot? Even after the sending off Accrington Stanley struggled to make an impact, and probably needed a couple more Derby players sending off to even things out a bit. Indeed with a bit more luck we could have had a couple of goals after going down to 10 men!

Accrington's poor performance was accompanied by a ref who wanted to be worse than them, selfishly going for the "Worst Ref for a Derby County game 2022/23" award, and he won that badge comfortably. His decisions were poor virtually all the way through, and it became clear that he was easily influenced. As ever there were loads and loads of incidents, but the major ones were the unawarded penalties, one at each end, plus the Osula incident. The young lad was stupid to kick out - with a ref this bad, the last thing you do is give him bullets to shoot you with. BUT: the ref should have already blown for a penalty, because firstly Osula was hauled down backwards to the ground, and then held down and deliberately prevented from getting back up again - effectively two fouls. Ironically I had decided to quieten down my yelling at the ref on the basis that he could be the worst ref ever seen and it wouldn't matter! But it did, because we will now be missing Osula for 3 matches, presuming the red was for violent conduct. Who are we going to get to sit on the bench now?

Results elsewhere were OK, and ridiculously only a short time ago the top two were miles and miles out of sight, but now it is perfectly ok to start thinking that automatic promotion is possible! Who'd have thought it only 2 months ago?

14 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Hang on John, let me play my tiny violin ☺️ 

To be fair to the the fella, he was pretty complimentary in what he was saying in his own, down at heel sort of a way.

Came off a lot better today than in previous meetings

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

True they were poor but I do think we played a big part in that with how aggressive we were right from the off, they really struggled to cope with Knight and Hourihane's movement.

Absolutely - but the first goal and the last goal were put on a platter and a penalty always helps.

The amount of times they kicked it out of play as well turning over possession.

I was very happy with our intensity, our running (Smith made some great runs), our pressing and so on.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Curtis will forever be a sporting hero of mine. There aren’t many. Sure there are players and sports men and women I have admired or enjoyed watching outside football and everywhere both old first division, PL, internationally. But to make the cut you have to be more than just talented. 

What Curtis did last season, ever present with guts and dignity, game after game. He’s in my hall of fame never to be moved

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Curtis will forever be a sporting hero of mine. There aren’t many. Sure there are players and sports men and women I have admired or enjoyed watching outside football and everywhere both old first division, PL, internationally. But to make the cut you have to be more than just talented. 

What Curtis did last season, ever present with guts and dignity, game after game. He’s in my hall of fame never to be moved

Plus agreeing to sign a waiver to play the last few mins v Sheff Weds after so long out injured 

27 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Except Sheffield Wednesday put 5 past Cambridge who we struggled to beat. And are also on a good run. 

And? We just need to keep our run going and try and keep getting a bit closer to the top 2. We have some good fixtures coming up between now and the end of Feb. 

Plus, I think if we’d have played that team today against Cambridge, we too could have scored a lot more. 

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

Where did he say that?

In his interview with BBC Radio Lancashire, he said quite the opposite. Said it would be difficult to go 2-0 down against an average club, but even harder against clubs like Derby (because of the big crowd getting behind them).

There was the usual 'we gifted them 3 goals, we should have had a penalty, etc.' but he actually came across quite complimentary.

I’ve heard it totally wrong then, thought he said we were average! 

Todays edition of Ref Gripe

Totally  understand split second decisions that any human can get wrong. Totally understand being conned by play acting, Totally understand (even though it’s character weakness) being pushed in to a card decision by one set of players. This is life and humanity 

What I don’t understand is why, when I am 30 yards further away than the well placed ref, with eyesight 25/30 years weaker I can see a player wrapping his arms round an opponent’s waist or do a two handed shove in the back but somehow the ref can’t see it or he chooses to ignore it.

Todays ref was dire and the linesman on the east stand side was as useful as a chocolate teapot

"Rams head coach Warne felt it was a red card but refused to be hard on teenager Osula after revealing an incident that happened during his own playing days.

"I haven't seen it back, but I am not going to sit on the fence, I thought it was a sending-off," he said. "In fairness to the kid, I made a similar mistake when I was his age. I came on as sub, was wired, had a player block me and I just pushed out at him.

"He fell over like I had knocked him out, but I hadn't. I got sent off so I would be a hypocrite if I criticised him. He is a young man who plays on the edge.

"I thought at the time he got stood on, but he reacted to that. It doesn't make it right or wrong but I just think he's been a bit old-manned. Nobody will be disappointed more in the stadium than he was. He will learn and hopefully go from strength to strength."

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Blind Lemon Jefferson could've spotted that one without confering with Blind Willie Mctell.

Stupid boy! as captain Mannerring would've said.

Stupid boy is spot on. That was a Beckham/Simeone one. No need, moment had passed, petulant not reaction to injury or the foul in the moment. Pout city. Got suckered. Pity but I suppose he’ll learn.