Derby reject!

Tudgay. Could have been a very good squad player for us for a further 10 years. Much better than a lot players we signed in that time (loan and permanent): Macken, Stead, Dickinson, Varney, Ellington, DJ Campbell, Vaughan, Dickov, Doyle, Robinson, Maguire, Noble, Tyson, Sammon.
I would have preferred to have him than spend £8/9m on Miller and Earnshaw too.

50 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Huddlestone (first time).

Rasiak, Saunders, Wright (not our youth products but proper gutted none the less). Kind of forced by financials at the time.

Goddard. Not forced, just a stupid decision. ?.

Paul Goddard only signed for us (over Liverpool) in the first place because Arthur Cox promised that should a London club ever come in for him we wouldn’t stand in his way.

I can't think of anyone we've pushed out the door who's gone on to much greater things. There are plenty who went on to forge solid careers for themselves who would've proved useful to have in our team. I've done a XI.

Lee Grant - In my opinion he was mismanaged by Phil Brown and Billy Davies. We had two good young 'keepers who were both involved in the England youth set up in him and Camp and we sold the pair of them for less than 500k.

Rob Kozluk - A perfectly serviceable Championship level full back who would've been useful to have around given the trouble we had filling the position in the years after he left.

James Meredith - Left back wasn't an easy position to fill here, but Meredith worked his way up to the Championship after a really good spell with Bradford.

Ian Evatt - A good leader who spent a chunk of his career at Championship level and even made it to the Premier League for a season.

Lewin Nyatanga - A decent defender who could cover multiple positions, but Clough didn't fancy him.

Lee Carsley - I'm probably cheating with this one since we got a good chunk of years out of him, but I'm justifying it in that I don't think Carsley was pushing for a move when he was sold. 3 million was an absolute pittance for what Carsley brought to that team and the sale was possibly the worst decision the bald eagle ever made. Even worse than signing Mikel Beck. A superb player, Carsley proved his worth in his excellent spell at Everton.

Timi Elsnik - This is a difficult sell as the quality of the Slovenian league is dubious at best. I think we'll see Elsnik get a move to a more competitive league in the next few years and I expect him to do well.

Kevin Cooper - An industrious midfielder who probably would've seen more game time at Derby had he not been unlucky enough to emerge during our best spell in the last 30 years.

Craig Ramage - A hugely inconsistent player, but he was great fun to watch when he was on it. Did very well at Watford after being sold.

Marcus Tudgay - A real battler. I would've loved to have him around during our rebuild after relegation from the Premier League. Another one we sold for a bag of magic beans.

Aleksandar Prijović - He didn't get any game time whilst he was here, but his goal scoring record has been excellent wherever he's been in Europe. Moved for 10,000,000 euros in 2019. Maybe we should've spent some time trying to develop him instead of Conor Doyle?

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Tudgay. Could have been a very good squad player for us for a further 10 years. Much better than a lot players we signed in that time (loan and permanent): Macken, Stead, Dickinson, Varney, Ellington, DJ Campbell, Vaughan, Dickov, Doyle, Robinson, Maguire, Noble, Tyson, Sammon.

This is a great shout. What an odd decision. He might not have been a classy player but he worked hard and scored important goals, and we've not had many players capable of that.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I only disagree with one thing here. Stead shouldn't be in that list. He was fantastic in his loan spell with us and we'd have walked automatic promotion that year if we'd been able to sign him permanently.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

I only disagree with one thing here. Stead shouldn't be in that list. He was fantastic in his loan spell with us and we'd have walked automatic promotion that year if we'd been able to sign him permanently.

Stead was much more talented than I had realised before he joined us, and continued to show what a good player he was afterwards too (e.g. Bradford)

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

Maybe a bit harsh, but could you not see Tudgay scoring 3 goals and 2 assists in 17 games? 

27 minutes ago, Anon said:

I can't think of anyone we've pushed out the door who's gone on to much greater things. There are plenty who went on to forge solid careers for themselves who would've proved useful to have in our team. I've done a XI.

Lee Grant - In my opinion he was mismanaged by Phil Brown and Billy Davies. We had two good young 'keepers who were both involved in the England youth set up in him and Camp and we sold the pair of them for less than 500k.

Rob Kozluk - A perfectly serviceable Championship level full back who would've been useful to have around given the trouble we had filling the position in the years after he left.

James Meredith - Left back wasn't an easy position to fill here, but Meredith worked his way up to the Championship after a really good spell with Bradford.

Ian Evatt - A good leader who spent a chunk of his career at Championship level and even made it to the Premier League for a season.

Lewin Nyatanga - A decent defender who could cover multiple positions, but Clough didn't fancy him.

Lee Carsley - I'm probably cheating with this one since we got a good chunk of years out of him, but I'm justifying it in that I don't think Carsley was pushing for a move when he was sold. 3 million was an absolute pittance for what Carsley brought to that team and the sale was possibly the worst decision the bald eagle ever made. Even worse than signing Mikel Beck. A superb player, Carsley proved his worth in his excellent spell at Everton.

Timi Elsnik - This is a difficult sell as the quality of the Slovenian league is dubious at best. I think we'll see Elsnik get a move to a more competitive league in the next few years and I expect him to do well.

Kevin Cooper - An industrious midfielder who probably would've seen more game time at Derby had he not been unlucky enough to emerge during our best spell in the last 30 years.

Craig Ramage - A hugely inconsistent player, but he was great fun to watch when he was on it. Did very well at Watford after being sold.

Marcus Tudgay - A real battler. I would've loved to have him around during our rebuild after relegation from the Premier League. Another one we sold for a bag of magic beans.

Aleksandar Prijović - He didn't get any game time whilst he was here, but his goal scoring record has been excellent wherever he's been in Europe. Moved for 10,000,000 euros in 2019. Maybe we should've spent some time trying to develop him instead of Conor Doyle?

Some good ones here, and come to think of it didn't Watford repeatedly get the benefit of our discard pile? You mentioned Cooper and Ramage... there was also Nick Wright who I don't think played a game for us but helped get them promoted to the Premier League. (And of course Will Hughes, but we're not counting him here!)

Carsley was solid. I think I saw his debut at right-midfield at Swindon (lost 1-2; hard to imagine him playing that position after he got his spot in the middle).

Never saw much of Elsnik to make a real judgement so interesting that you're the second to mention him on this thread.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, jameso said:

Some good ones here, and come to think of it didn't Watford repeatedly get the benefit of our discard pile? You mentioned Cooper and Ramage... there was also Nick Wright who I don't think played a game for us but helped get them promoted to the Premier League. (And of course Will Hughes, but we're not counting him here!)

Carsley was solid. I think I saw his debut at right-midfield at Swindon (lost 1-2). 

Never saw much of Elsnik to make a real judgement so interesting that you're the second to mention him on this thread.

I'd completely forgotten about Wright. It would've been interesting to see how his career went if it weren't curtailed by injury.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe a bit harsh, but could you not see Tudgay scoring 3 goals and 2 assists in 17 games? 

Yes, but stats don't tell the whole story. Stead really worked defences hard and made an awful lot of room for Howard and Barnes to operate. He was good at hold up play and made smart runs to pull defenders out of position.

30 minutes ago, Anon said:

Emil Riis Jakobsen - 20 goals and 6 assists for Preston in all competitions last season. 5 goals so far this season in a Preston side who don't like scoring (only 13 goals in 18 league games)

Lubos Kubic. 

Played at Fiorentina for two years after the debacle with us, then  bundesliga, other clubs around europe (metz, slava prague)   and then team of the season two years running in the MLS at the end of his career. Plus 50 odd caps for czech team a world cup and a euros

4 minutes ago, swanny said:

Lubos Kubic. 

Played at Fiorentina for two years after the debacle with us, then  bundesliga, other clubs around europe (metz, slava prague)   and then team of the season two years running in the MLS at the end of his career. Plus 50 odd caps for czech team a world cup and a euros

I have no recollection whatsoever of this guy - did we nearly sign him or something? Who was the manager?

46 minutes ago, Anon said:

I can't think of anyone we've pushed out the door who's gone on to much greater things.

Completely agree. A lot of disappointment at Derby regarding signings we've made, but very few young players we've let go who have gone on to greater things. Several, as said, have had good careers. It remains to be seen what happens with the likes of Liam Delap.

40 minutes ago, Anon said:

Stead was fantastic in his loan spell with us and we'd have walked automatic promotion that year if we'd been able to sign him permanently.

His parent club were Sunderland if I remember rightly & they sold him to Sheff United rather than do a deal which quite obviously benefited a promotion rival. Echoes of Newcastle helping to undermine Burnley last season by bringing in Wood. I thought Stead was fantastic & a big loss. We were top of the table.

6 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

Completely agree. A lot of disappointment at Derby regarding signings we've made, but very few young players we've let go who have gone on to greater things. Several, as said, have had good careers. It remains to be seen what happens with the likes of Liam Delap.

I know what you mean but I would say that some players have gone on to show they were capable of more than we thought they were. For example, Kozluk was a regular at a team who frequently pushed for promotion (and was still in their team more often than not when they finally made it). Evatt played a whole Premier League season for Blackpool - I didn't see that coming. So in that case, arguably he did go on to greater things, but even just "greater than I thought he would" is enough, because in theory he could have improved us if he'd stayed.