Derby reject!

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Preston wanted £10m for Emil Riis Jakobsen in the summer, he's been decent for them since coming back to England. I guess his exit went a little under the radar, but he's arguably our most valuable academy product at present. 

Man City rejected a £16m bid from Southampton for Delap in the summer. No bids for Gordon, but I'd expect it would take a lot more than £16m for Liverpool  to sell him.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Man City rejected a £16m bid from Southampton for Delap in the summer. No bids for Gordon, but I'd expect it would take a lot more than £16m for Liverpool  to sell him.

My terminology was bad, I meant senior players that were our academy products. I agree I think both of those are going to be £20m plus at least for the moment.

7 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

Paul Williams and the young goalkeeper (blonde hair) whose name escapes me right now, similar era. Neither went on to have glittering careers - but I was certain both would - and gutted when they left.

We didn't let Williams go.  In Smiths words'  he was banging down the door demanding a move before i'd warmed the seat.'  He was reminded of that when he came back with Southampton.  Believe I've only seen the same vitriol level for Kitson. 

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We didn't let Williams go.  In Smiths words'  he was banging down the door demanding a move before i'd warmed the seat.'  He was reminded of that when he came back with Southampton.  Believe I've only seen the same vitriol level for Kitson. 

We gave Mark Pembridge that much abuse one game they subbed him. Merciless vitriol every time he went any where near the ball.

20 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We gave Mark Pembridge that much abuse one game they subbed him. Merciless vitriol every time he went any where near the ball.

He went near the ball? My recollection of Pembridge was he didn't go near it as much as he should have done! (Maybe I'm being unfair).

Could have done with him on penalties last night though, and he took a mean free-kick now and again too.

4 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Saunders and Wright sold for a pittance to liverpool, yes we were relegated but... 

Then a few years later, Charles and Johnson sold to villa

Then same happens with Christie and riggott to boro 

Not to mention rasiak and huddlestone to spurs 

Definitely a pattern there, usually when strapped for cash… and most recently Ebiowei and Plange to Palace, albeit not in the exact same transfer.

4 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Saunders and Wright sold for a pittance to liverpool, yes we were relegated but... 

Then a few years later, Charles and Johnson sold to villa

Then same happens with Christie and riggott to boro 

Not to mention rasiak and huddlestone to spurs 

They were record British transfer fees paid out at the time. 2.2 million for Wright a record for a defender and 2.9 million for Saunders. The issue was the money went to Maxwell.

Christie revealed in his book Boro bid 7 million for him alone. We wanted 9. 6 months later we got 3 for him AND Riggott. Sturridge was similar, could have got around 6-7 million, a few years later we got about 300k. Will Hughes, could have sold for about double what we got. We are terrible at getting decent fees, we hold on for too long. 

12 hours ago, enachops said:

They were record British transfer fees paid out at the time. 2.2 million for Wright a record for a defender and 2.9 million for Saunders. The issue was the money went to Maxwell.

Christie revealed in his book Boro bid 7 million for him alone. We wanted 9. 6 months later we got 3 for him AND Riggott. Sturridge was similar, could have got around 6-7 million, a few years later we got about 300k. Will Hughes, could have sold for about double what we got. We are terrible at getting decent fees, we hold on for too long. 

I thought we got £6m for Riggot and Christie together but priced Christie at £1m to reduce the sell-on fee we owed Nuneaton? 

22 hours ago, enachops said:

The Sturridge one wasn't our fault, iirc. He was off to Arsenal for between £8-12m but then he did his hamstring and never got his acceleration back. You could argue we managed to turn average players into good fees too, we somehow coddled Leeds into £7m for Sethlad and West Ham coughed up £5m+ for Christian Dailly who was the most average player to ever be average.

25 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

The Sturridge one wasn't our fault, iirc. He was off to Arsenal for between £8-12m but then he did his hamstring and never got his acceleration back. You could argue we managed to turn average players into good fees too, we somehow coddled Leeds into £7m for Sethlad and West Ham coughed up £5m+ for Christian Dailly who was the most average player to ever be average.

We sold him to Blackburn , he went from being an average midfielder to a very decent centre back. ?

51 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

We sold him to Blackburn , he went from being an average midfielder to a very decent centre back. ?

He was a very decent centre back for us and a pretty decent midfielder.   The fee was good at the time.  About 5.5 if I remember.  Shame we spent it on a load of crap like Spencer Prior.

On 01/11/2022 at 12:43, jameso said:

That was an odd one because he'd been linked with moves to clubs above us (West Ham?) and I think had done OK on loan at Coventry. If I've got the timings right, he was being touted as maybe ready for the first team squad just as Lampard was assembling his team, and the Cov move was pretty much the end of him for us.

Still surprised we let him go after the Lampard season because surely we knew we were heading for some belt-tightening but instead we splurged on Bielik (have we even finished paying for him?) but let Thomas go - and brought in the likes of Dowell and Paterson on loan.

So it's Thomas who I have to blame for moving then... 

Got it ?