Derby reject!

22 minutes ago, jameso said:

I have no recollection whatsoever of this guy - did we nearly sign him or something? Who was the manager?

Came is with another czech international Ivo Knoflicek in the Maxwell era. Some outrageously iffy deal, they got paraded at half time on the pitch then weirdly never played. Cant remember the full story, but i do remember being there that night (i think) and thnking that  I had seen the arrival of two future derby legends! 

8 minutes ago, swanny said:

Came is with another czech international Ivo Knoflicek in the Maxwell era. Some outrageously iffy deal, they got paraded at half time on the pitch then weirdly never played. Cant remember the full story, but i do remember being there that night (i think) and thnking that  I had seen the arrival of two future derby legends! 

They were still registered to Slavia Prague who refused to let them be registered for us without a transfer fee, which Maxwell didn't want to pay.

2 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

Paul Williams and the young goalkeeper (blonde hair) whose name escapes me right now, similar era. Neither went on to have glittering careers - but I was certain both would - and gutted when they left.

Martyn Taylor is the one you're thinking of there.

911fddebd3e9b4ba9642b990b9b79c39.png

Edited by therealhantsram

11 minutes ago, swanny said:

I still have the press cutting in a scrapbook!  Maybe i should post some of the images from it, some great memories

13 minutes ago, jameso said:

some players have gone on to show they were capable of more than we thought they were.

I'm not disagreeing with you, you're right, but it's probably a truism at all clubs/throughout football. Players let go, but then going on to forge a career elsewhere as you said,above. Sometimes it's do with attitude & maturity - you'll find some players saying being let go was the best thing that happened to them career wise though obviously not at the time. Going to a club where they receive the right sort of mentorship/coaching for them, or simply having someone who believes in them/inspires them, say with Evatt at Blackpool.

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Martyn Taylor is the one you're thinking of there.

911fddebd3e9b4ba9642b990b9b79c39.png

I thought Taylor was fantastic when he came into the first team - made some brilliant saves (and dropped the occasional clanger).

6 minutes ago, admira said:

Will Hughes, he could change a game.  Also rated Luke Thomas and was surprised that he left.

That was an odd one because he'd been linked with moves to clubs above us (West Ham?) and I think had done OK on loan at Coventry. If I've got the timings right, he was being touted as maybe ready for the first team squad just as Lampard was assembling his team, and the Cov move was pretty much the end of him for us.

Still surprised we let him go after the Lampard season because surely we knew we were heading for some belt-tightening but instead we splurged on Bielik (have we even finished paying for him?) but let Thomas go - and brought in the likes of Dowell and Paterson on loan.

Not strictly on topic, because everyone's been said really. Bending the rules then...

Esteban Fuertes - went on to score shitloads in Argentina

Tito Villa - good career in Mexico

Yakubi Aiyegbeni - he was 'almost' ours, got denied a work permit (b******!), there was something about an eye problem, played about 2 games for Nigeria, swapped his names around and suddenly there was no issue, went to Portsmouth and tore it up (double b******!)

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Craig Ramage - A hugely inconsistent player, but he was great fun to watch when he was on it. Did very well at Watford after being sold.

It's funny because when he was on Radio Derby a few in here would mock him for talking about when he played. I never said anything but thought 'did you ever see him play?'.

A hugely skilful and gifted player who just lacked that bit of pace and consistency (as you said).

Not unlike Will Hughes in many respects.

I felt bad for him when he lost his job at RD through clumsiness rather than any malicious intent imho.

11 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Not strictly on topic, because everyone's been said really. Bending the rules then...

Esteban Fuertes - went on to score shitloads in Argentina

Tito Villa - good career in Mexico

Yakubi Aiyegbeni - he was 'almost' ours, got denied a work permit (b******!), there was something about an eye problem, played about 2 games for Nigeria, swapped his names around and suddenly there was no issue, went to Portsmouth and tore it up (double b******!)

Agree with first and third - and weren't they both the same story, i.e. denied a work visa?

I liked Villa but he seemed a bit limited. Scored some enjoyable goals though.

The sale that with hindsight did the biggest damage was Lee Carsley to Blackburn. We under appreciated him and what he did for the team enabling our flair players to be effective. We replaced him with Seth Johnson who while a talent was a 21 year old who didn’t know the game, was often rash. When smithy realised he needed support we spent £3m on Craig Burley, it was the beginning of the end of that decent premier league team. 

The other sales that were poor in my view were Chris Powell who went onto get England caps and Snake himself Gary Rowett who was excellent for Brum (albeit down a league)  then Charlton after a big money move and then he moved to Leicester where it all went down hill as injury decimated his career from about 28 onwards.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

Aleksandar Prijovic. 

His most expensive move was from PAOK to Al-Ittihad for 10 million euros 2019. Solid stats everywhere (different leagues, continental games or international games), goal or assist every other game or better.  

Target men, like he, tend to be at their best pretty late though, so can't really blame anyone (except Keogh) letting him leave.

https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/player/details/34740-aleksandar-prijovic