Derby reject!

Inspired by the "Sibley Enigma" thread and the ongoing Max Bird debate - the first one essentially "He's obviously got great potential... how do we get him to fulfil it?" and the second almost a polarised "He could be brilliant, but..." versus "He doesn't bring anything to the team and he shouldn't be in it".

In either case, I think it will be a disaster if either leaves - especially for next to nothing - and I can well imagine them coming back to haunt us, not only with the inevitable virtuoso performance against us, but generally showing everyone that they WERE as good as a lot of us thought they were. (Timely to start this thread the morning after Morgan Whitaker gets himself another goal and two assists).

So, the question is: which of our young player(s) do you most regret that we let go?

It's all relative, so the level we were at when a player left doesn't really matter; it's more to do with their potential/ how good you think they could have been for us at that time, in the situation we were in (as you saw it).

You can only include players where the feeling is that we got rid of them because we didn't need/rate them; not players going to a higher level (e.g. Hughes), even if the sum we received was a joke (e.g. Ebiowei), and definitely not where the player clearly wanted to leave anyway (e.g. Buchanan).

And it's not about claiming to be a visionary. I for one didn't rate Whitaker at all when he was here (athough I accept he was breaking into the team in a higher league than the one in which he is now excelling). I do rate Bird highly, and Sibley too (a little less), and despite some frustration over their performances, don't want either to leave!

Mark O'Brien.

Central defender, reminds me a bit of Cashin. I thought he had tremendous potential. Once saw him flick the ball over his own head and that of the attacker before bringing it forward. Classy.

Suffered from a serious health condition (heart I think) and was released. Think he's since had a successful career in Scotland and at Newport County.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Mark O'Brien.

Central defender, reminds me a bit of Cashin. I thought he had tremendous potential. Once saw him flick the ball over his own head and that of the attacker before bringing it forward. Classy.

Suffered from a serious health condition (heart I think) and was released. Think he's since had a successful career in Scotland and at Newport County.

He was a great player and was sad to see him go, was glad he could forge a career as a regular at another club.

Seen he’s had to retire due to said heart condition, gutted for the lad and hope he’s still being successful.

My heartbreaker for a player leaving So soon based on my early years was Malcolm Christie, obviously not a generational talent but he always gave it his all and scored reasonably well, before our finances Bamforded up and we were forced to sell. He was treated horrendously and had horrible injury luck following us.

Edited by Ewethanised

Just now, IslandExile said:

Mark O'Brien.

Yep, came through under Nigel Clough - maybe in the season we started with 4 wins?

Good one - I hadn't thought of him!

27 minutes ago, jameso said:

Inspired by the "Sibley Enigma" thread and the ongoing Max Bird debate - the first one essentially "He's obviously got great potential... how do we get him to fulfil it?" and the second almost a polarised "He could be brilliant, but..." versus "He doesn't bring anything to the team and he shouldn't be in it".

In either case, I think it will be a disaster if either leaves - especially for next to nothing - and I can well imagine them coming back to haunt us, not only with the inevitable virtuoso performance against us, but generally showing everyone that they WERE as good as a lot of us thought they were. (Timely to start this thread the morning after Morgan Whitaker gets himself another goal and two assists).

So, the question is: which of our young player(s) do you most regret that we let go?

It's all relative, so the level we were at when a player left doesn't really matter; it's more to do with their potential/ how good you think they could have been for us at that time, in the situation we were in (as you saw it).

You can only include players where the feeling is that we got rid of them because we didn't need/rate them; not players going to a higher level (e.g. Hughes), even if the sum we received was a joke (e.g. Ebiowei), and definitely not where the player clearly wanted to leave anyway (e.g. Buchanan).

And it's not about claiming to be a visionary. I for one didn't rate Whitaker at all when he was here (athough I accept he was breaking into the team in a higher league than the one in which he is now excelling). I do rate Bird highly, and Sibley too (a little less), and despite some frustration over their performances, don't want either to leave!

Hand on heart I can't say there's any player I regret losing. No young player that we have let go, have set the football world alight.

Whitaker who you give as an example, may be having a purple patch. But haven't we wasted hugh amounts in transfer fees on similar players, only to see them fail to perform for us?

So while the odd player may have had a few good games after leaving us. As I've already said none of them have made the footballing world sit up in admiration.

Right now none, you can look at players like Kaide Gordon, yet would it be fair to say we let him go? Couldn't really prevent it, got to keep those Premier League clubs happy.

Will Hughes is the only one you could really make a case for, however he hasn't reached the heights many predicted for him, not had a whiff of an England cap and to think he's 28 in 6 months sounds crazy. 

Contract expires in 2024, if we are back in the Championship, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at Derby to see out his career. 

Loved Vydras pace and work rate. Always felt he was a thoroughly honest player. 

Ebiowe doesn’t count according to the rules of the OP but I just know he’ll make the grade and Festy would have given us so much delight cos he was so clearly skilled and full of character. He would have been loved 

26 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

Paul Williams and the young goalkeeper (blonde hair) whose name escapes me right now, similar era. Neither went on to have glittering careers - but I was certain both would - and gutted when they left.

You've got me with this one... we're talking early-mid 90s? Released or joined another club?

Edit: you don't mean Martin Taylor?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Lee Camp.

I'll get me coat....

I'd go along with this. Always seemed to me a bit of a mess that we had both Camp and Grant at the same time (under Burley?) and ended up losing both of them!

15 minutes ago, HectorsHouse said:

Russell Hoult..??

Or Andy Quy? There's a lot of blonde in this picture but not much of it is coming from him ?

image.png.fc6bd7b67aa34ef4fec4b0d004121765.png