The Sibley Enigma

sage

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Because we were 2 down and we only have 2 CFs in the squad. Why take one off at HT even if he isn't the best  

there's your answer - his 'goal' last game was an OG ie not on target. He's looked very unlikely to score or even contribute anything at all. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

there's your answer - his 'goal' last game was an OG ie not on target. He's looked very unlikely to score or even contribute anything at all. 

I don't rate him but at 2 down i understand the decision.

Edited by sage

7 minutes ago, sage said:

Because we were 2 down and we only have 2 CFs in the squad. Why take one off at HT even if he isn't the best  

To improve the balance on the pitch. To add more control, an ability to pass the ball to another Derby player, to win the ball back, for a killer pass, for a shot on target, etc...

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To improve the balance on the pitch. To add more control, an ability to pass the ball to another Derby player, to win the ball back, for a killer pass, for a shot on target, etc...

I wasn't seeing a tremendous amount of all that from Sibley either. No manager would take one of 2 CFs off when 2 down.   

On 16/03/2023 at 16:18, BobdeBilder said:

I have still never forgiven McGovern for that bloody back pass. 

Enlighten us please, what are your referring to? IGNORE: it's in the thread, just found it. Soz!

Edited by BaaLocks

2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Let down by the 9 players behind him unfortunately. Hope that's not the last we see of him. 

No denying McGoldrick was a bit better in that role so it's a tough gig for Sibley to keep his spot. I'd bin off Collins and stick Sibley behind McGoldrick next week, just me though.  

He could’ve chased harder but there were a couple of times he did, right at the off he was at them and closed the ball down; unfortunately I think the lack of energy and service from others, led his enthusiasm to wane.

Just my opinion of course, but Knight offered no more than Sibley today, for all his energy he wasted several balls forward. As for Collins I know who’s more likely to score. Sibley behind McGoldrick would be my choice next week too.

All those that say he’s had his chance, Sibley barely gets a run in his favoured position, so some chance, he very often seems to be the fall guy; yet he’d give anything to be successful here, even if asked to play out of position.

One day a manager might persevere with him, really hope Warne does.

11 hours ago, Yani P said:

I think Sibley was as poor as most today but should still get a run to see what he can do...I mean Collins does and when he isn't scoring he is just a liability.

He didn't get a chance to do anything but run around aimlessly in the 1st half, no football was being played. When we needed him to play 2nd half with Didzy and Knight or Dobbin then we only had Collins, who continued to run around aimlessly!

On 18/03/2023 at 18:29, Zag zig said:

The excuse on radio Derby was that only him or Knight can play the behind the striker role; which really was a massive cop out today by Warne.

Considering Knight played next to Bird and not behind the striker it’s a terrible excuse. Plus Knight’s played on the wing for us a lot of times and at right back earlier this season, it doesn’t have to be one of the other

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, cos I've never seen Sibbo run with the ball and beat his man. His crossing is good, his deadball delivery is good, his shooting is good.

He has improved this season playing LB but in centre midfield still WIP despite his goal threat. I would play him forward of Roberts instead of Dozy Dobbin.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, cos I've never seen Sibbo run with the ball and beat his man. His crossing is good, his deadball delivery is good, his shooting is good.

Sure, not to mention his decision making in front of goal (surpassed only by Didzy’s). But week in, week out we are outdone for pace. And Dobbin’s got it but Sibley hasn’t 

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

We will have the answer to the enigma in the close season I think. If Sibley is still here or if he isn't and also who else comes and goes  

I begin to think it best for his career of he moves on. He always seems to be the scapegoat for a poor team performance. Yet he remains one of the very few players who can score out of nothing. I refuse to believe this absoute tripe that you can't play Knight and Sibley in the same team. 

Sibley hasn't had a regular run of games in his natural position since his first season under Cocu. He has been mismanaged since. I actually think Warne playing him lb was a good call but he needed to be allowed to build on that. 

36 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Sure, not to mention his decision making in front of goal (surpassed only by Didzy’s). But week in, week out we are outdone for pace. And Dobbin’s got it but Sibley hasn’t 

He's got enough of it in short bursts. And as has been said pace is nothing without control and attacking threat.