The Sibley Enigma

sage

1 hour ago, sage said:

At what level do people see him peaking at?

3 years ago when he was the best player on the pitch against promotion certainties Fulham and smashing a hat trick past Millwall, a proper 10- 15 million premier league bound player.  Same as Knight who practically had Buendia in tears away at Norwich when he dominated him to the point Cocu stated he had more potential than any midfielder of his age he'd coached.

Then we decided to spend 3 seasons putting them on the wing and this year at full back.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

3 years ago when he was the best player on the pitch against promotion certainties Fulham and smashing a hat trick past Millwall, a proper 10- 15 million premier league bound player.  Same as Knight who practically had Buendia in tears away at Norwich when he dominated him to the point Cocu stated he had more potential than any midfielder of his age he'd coached.

Then we decided to spend 3 seasons putting them on the wing and this year at full back.

Yes this. Do you think coaches do this to players that have come through at a club more as they think they're more loyal and wont be diva-like compared to new signings? Perhaps even more so Sibley being a Rams fan? 

42 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Yes this. Do you think coaches do this to players that have come through at a club more as they think they're more loyal and wont be diva-like compared to new signings? Perhaps even more so Sibley being a Rams fan? 

I think our rubbish circumstances of the last few seasons have played a part in it. We’ve had to work under such limited restrictions with regards to transfers that the various coaches have had to use the likes of Sibley and Knight to find solutions within the limited squads they’ve had. It’s still possible for Sibley and Knight to be used in a more settled role within the team in which we’ll hopefully see them flourish, just need Warne to work out how to make that happen.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

it's possible.  Will Hughes being asked to start playing as a defensive midfielder at 9 stone was also an accident waiting to happen.  Addison and Huddlestone at centre half.  We do it a fair bit.

31 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

it's possible.  Will Hughes being asked to start playing as a defensive midfielder at 9 stone was also an accident waiting to happen.  Addison and Huddlestone at centre half.  We do it a fair bit.

Addison and Huddlestone were CBs who later on become DMs...

59 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes forgot that also

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/04/2023 at 00:54, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Those of us who have supported Sibley through thick and thin have finally got what we wanted - a system that suits him going forward . Now it’s time to unleash some of those 25 yard thunderbolts .

7 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Those of us who have supported Sibley through thick and thin have finally got what we wanted - a system that suits him going forward . Now it’s time to unleash some of those 25 yard thunderbolts .

He’ll never get the space he was given against Millwall and Blackburn ever again in his career I fear 

I’m constantly baffled watching Bukayo Saka compared to Sibley. Three years ago, when both were playing U18/U21 football, I remember thinking Sibley was the better player with better dribbling, skill, shooting. Now, Saka is one of the best players in the premier league and Sibley is playing Warneball.

4 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Warne said in a recent interview that Sibley is the best finisher in the club. Makes me wonder why he hasn’t played more minutes when we’ve needed a goal!

I have been saying the same thing for 3 years. Just watch the pre match shooting practise.Rooney took an instant dislike for Sibbo . He would have been better to go out on loan for 2 years. But it’s up to him to grab his chance now.

• 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

So we need goals and Sibley getting little game time.

Does Warne rate him? Does Warne want him gone? Know he’s coming back from injury but can’t get minutes in a stalemate against the club bottom of the table. Really, I mean really?!

He doesn't trust him.

He loses possession too easily as doesnt look up when he runs.

He thinks the negatives outweigh the positives.

11 minutes ago, sage said:

He doesn't trust him.

Without any disrespect to Cheltenham, if he doesn’t trust him while drawing against what may be the worst L1 team ever, i worry it says far more about the manager’s thought processes than Sibley’s abilities or lack of

Besides Collins has similar issues retaining possession at times and they are fairly interchangeable depending on how you use Waghorn

Edited by nottingram

17 minutes ago, sage said:

He doesn't trust him.

Warne has said that this losing possession thing isn't a problem. I think he doesn't rate him to do what he wants. But I'm not sure what Warne wants Washington to do other than run around. So maybe Sibley doesn't run around enough and wants to do a little bit of running through the middle? 😱

23 minutes ago, sage said:

He doesn't trust him.

Made more big errors leading to goals this season: Bradley, Nelson, Elder, Fornah

Losses possession more often than Sibley this season: Waghorn, Collins, Wilson, Washington, John-Jules, Elder, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Thompson

Loses possession more often from attempted dribbles: John-Jules, Wilson

Lost pessession more often from short passes: EVERYONE except Wildsmith and Vickers

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Made more big errors leading to goals this season: Bradley, Nelson, Elder, Fornah

Losses possession more often than Sibley this season: Waghorn, Collins, Wilson, Washington, John-Jules, Elder, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Thompson

Loses possession more often from attempted dribbles: John-Jules, Wilson

Lost pessession more often from short passes: EVERYONE except Wildsmith and Vickers

I am stating what I think Warne thinks.

His performance at Carlisle won't have helped his cause