The Sibley Enigma

sage

46 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Sibbo isn't our Greek god laid low, but he's got more firepower and creativity in his little toe than Washington. He needs a run of games in the no.10 position with the freedom to run with the ball, be creative with it, take risks and have runners around him to open up that space. 

Doesn't help that we don't pass the ball properly through the lines and Collins isn't great at linking with. Under a different manager could be so much better. 

Forget the guff people say about how different managers haven't rated him, Rooney didn't but he likes grafters like Warne and like Warne is hardly a manager with top pedigree, Rosenior barely got a chance ,Cocu rated him in the main but he had injuries and also was young at the time coming through.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

I don't think he's a brilliant footballer without some big drawbacks, or that he's key to unlocking every defence we struggle to score against.

I don't think he deserves an uninterrupted run of starts simply by virtue of being able to smack one in from range or simply because he's 'one of our own', or to have special allowances made for his presence in the team, or anything like that.

He doesn't have to start games but he does need regular minutes off the bench. 

He needs to know, at the very least,  that when an opportunity does arise for him to get at 25-30 minutes on the pitch, in the correct position and with the game balanced in a way that would benefit the introduction of his skillset, that he's going to be given those minutes.

Otherwise, what's the point? If we're not going to use him in that situation, where he may actually be able to build some form and confidence, then we may as well not use him at all.

...but that exact situation presented itself against Cambridge and presented itself again today, and what happened? And what happens next?

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Sibbo isn't our Greek god laid low, but he's got more firepower and creativity in his little toe than Washington. He needs a run of games in the no.10 position with the freedom to run with the ball, be creative with it, take risks and have runners around him to open up that space. 

100%

6 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I don't think he's a brilliant footballer without some big drawbacks, or that he's key to unlocking every defence we struggle to score against.

I don't think he deserves an uninterrupted run of starts simply by virtue of being able to smack one in from range or simply because he's 'one of our own', or to have special allowances made for his presence in the team, or anything like that.

He doesn't have to start games but he does need regular minutes off the bench. 

He needs to know, at the very least,  that when an opportunity does arise for him to get at 25-30 minutes on the pitch, in the correct position and with the game balanced in a way that would benefit the introduction of his skillset, that he's going to be given those minutes.

Otherwise, what's the point? If we're not going to use him in that situation, where he may actually be able to build some form and confidence, then we may as well not use him at all.

...but that exact situation presented itself against Cambridge and presented itself again today, and what happened? And what happens next?

Whether starting or off the bench, he should be played in his best position and that is not left back, left wing back or left wing or defensive midfielder. I sincerely hope PW knows and understands that...

8 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'd wager that Connor Washington has had a better career than Louis Sibley will have. The game is littered with skilled players who don't know how to get the best out of their ability. 

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Whether starting or off the bench, he should be played in his best position and that is not left back, left wing back or left wing or defensive midfielder. I sincerely hope PW knows and understands that...

I'm pretty sure he will play LWB on Tuesday as Elder isnt fit yet and Fozzy needs a rest 

49 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I'd wager that Connor Washington has had a better career than Louis Sibley will have. The game is littered with skilled players who don't know how to get the best out of their ability. 

Washington has managed 142 games at Championship level (predominantly in his preferred position,  CF), scoring 18 goals.

Sibley is at 97 games, scoring 7 goals. The majority of those games played on the wing, yet the majority of goals scored when playing central. It would only take a season and a bit to play more games at the highest level Washington has ever managed, and if played central consistently, he'd easily score more too.

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

I mean that's a bit of a different question isn't it. Robbie Savage is a prime example of someone who in skill terms wouldn't have looked that much better than a good semi-pro player on their day but had a great career whereas Adel Tarabt had much more talent but nowhere near as good a career. Sibley i think needs some minutes in his best position, needs some confidence and some love. I'm not saying he'll then go on and have a sparkling career but he's had a difficult time in the past few years which is in part due to lack of time and being played out of position.

10 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Exactly this and why I bumped the thread.

Forget playing him wing back, give the lad more than 1 chance against Carlisle to shine. He bleeds Derby, is desperate to do well, which is why he’ll play anywhere but it’s done him no favours as he’s not playing his best position.

If Warne doesn’t do that, he may as well sell him, not that Sibbo will want to go; just he’ll have no choice. Meantime we have nobody unlocking defences most games, but plenty that gas out 🙄

Sibley has been victim to being overcoached, not having a consistent run in the side and not getting a chance to play to his strengths. He definitely has got some quality and let's not forget, he's 22 and played over 100 matches. He can still grow to be a top player for the club. 

His first full season was the COVID era. The whole team struggled to adapted to playing with no home supporters. Second full season, Rooney kept playing his mate Ravel Morrison in Sibleys position and most of his appearances after the first 6 games were off the bench. I think he only played 4 or 5 full 90 minutes. Then last season Warne chucked him in at wing back with full knowledge it wasn't his best position. Played lots of games but rarely played further forward until the last stretch of games where he was excellent.

He has not had a fair opportunity to play in attacking midfield consistently since supporters returned after COVID. Simple as that. With some more confidence, I think he can offer so much more creativity. Warne keeps moaning about the lack of an alternative going forward. He's got Sibley right in front of his nose and flat out refuses to give him a chance up the field.

Feel bad for the lad, he deserves much better than this.

39 minutes ago, SSD said:

Sibley has been victim to being overcoached, not having a consistent run in the side and not getting a chance to play to his strengths. He definitely has got some quality and let's not forget, he's 22 and played over 100 matches. He can still grow to be a top player for the club. 

His first full season was the COVID era. The whole team struggled to adapted to playing with no home supporters. Second full season, Rooney kept playing his mate Ravel Morrison in Sibleys position and most of his appearances after the first 6 games were off the bench. I think he only played 4 or 5 full 90 minutes. Then last season Warne chucked him in at wing back with full knowledge it wasn't his best position. Played lots of games but rarely played further forward until the last stretch of games where he was excellent.

He has not had a fair opportunity to play in attacking midfield consistently since supporters returned after COVID. Simple as that. With some more confidence, I think he can offer so much more creativity. Warne keeps moaning about the lack of an alternative going forward. He's got Sibley right in front of his nose and flat out refuses to give him a chance up the field.

Feel bad for the lad, he deserves much better than this.

He nearly learnt to be a good fullback after being called the worst tackler at the Club. I see no reason why he shouldn't get a run of games to prove himself elsewhere on the pitch, how tall is he?

Not sure why there is a lot of love for Sibley anyone would think he is the next Paul Gascoigne,there as been a few managers now that as not been tempted to play him for a regular term so there must be a reason,perhaps he does not train well or something the manager and previous managers are seeing that we are not privy to. 

18 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Not sure why there is a lot of love for Sibley anyone would think he is the next Paul Gascoigne,there as been a few managers now that as not been tempted to play him for a regular term so there must be a reason,perhaps he does not train well or something the manager and previous managers are seeing that we are not privy to. 

Heresy. The pitchforks will be out.

Obviously you make a valid point but prepare for the flak.