The Sibley Enigma

sage

12 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

A lot say he needs to play in the 10 but he got his goals tonight playing right wing 🤷🏾‍♂️

It's not so much position, as what he's being asked to do on the field.  To get the best out of him, you want him getting on the ball and driving into the final third or running onto through-balls.  If you play him as a 10, you're maximising his chance to do that, but you can absolutely get him doing it from other positions.  If you're getting plenty of decent possession in the final third, he can be effective from wider.  At times he was effective from fullback, particularly when we were up against wing-backs and he was a spare man with license to bomb on.  What you don't want is him being a defensive fullback, or a winger that's staying very wide to get crosses in, or playing deep in midfield.

The problem is, for the 89th time, he does certain things very well, but other aspects of his game are really poor. He needs to work on those and hasn't really improved the weak areas of his game.

As examples Forsyth, from the opposite side, put a perfect cross in after a few minutes and Sibley made no run to get on the end of it. 

Something Warne pointed out was letting then pass out from a tight situation, Sibley need to close a player down but also from the path of the get out pass.

I'm not saying there are enough negative aspects to not pick him regularly, but Warne seems to think so and is more prone to give him chances against weak opposition.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

The problem is, for the 89th time, he does certain things very well, but other aspects of his game are really poor. He needs to work on those and hasn't really improved the weak areas of his game.

As examples Forsyth, from the opposite side, put a perfect cross in after a few minutes and Sibley made no run to get on the end of it. 

Something Warne pointed out was letting then pass out from a tight situation, Sibley need to close a player down but also from the path of the get out pass.

I'm not saying there are enough negative aspects to not pick him regularly, but Warne seems to think so and is more prone to give him chances against weak opposition.

Might some of these things come from lack of playing ‘the position’. He seemed fine as fullback when he settled in.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I see your point that there’s aspects to his game he needs to work on. But there’s several counter points to that. He needs game time in his preferred role to improve those aspects, what he is good at is far superior to other options in similar positions and other players also have glaring weaknesses which don’t seem to be judged as harshly or given as short of a leash. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I see your point that there’s aspects to his game he needs to work on. But there’s several counter points to that. He needs game time in his preferred role to improve those aspects, what he is good at is far superior to other options in similar positions and other players also have glaring weaknesses which don’t seem to be judged as harshly or given as short of a leash. 

Because his weaknesses are more glaring than other players weaknesses. 

Is his 'preferred role', I presume you mean as a 10, the best role for him?

IMO he only does well there in a stretched game, which for me makes him an impact sub.

13 minutes ago, sage said:

Because his weaknesses are more glaring than other players weaknesses. 

Is his 'preferred role', I presume you mean as a 10, the best role for him?

IMO he only does well there in a stretched game, which for me makes him an impact sub.

I don't see how his weaknesses as a number 10 in a game we are dominating possession in are more glaring than, for example, Waghorn as it was against Cambridge. There was zero excuse for bringing him on and putting him on the left with the game as it was.

We're a team of dreadful finishers, with one player who is a natural goalscorer. Last night a lot of players missed chances, but finally we also put that one player on the pitch and he scored 2 goals and had another effort well saved onto the crossbar. It really isn't rocket science. The hardest thing to do in football is to score goals.

There is no enigma. Warne should build his team around Sibley.

Sadly we all expect Sibs will be dropped for the next league game, and will probably end up leaving in January. And Derby may or may not scrape into the playoffs without him, while he scores for fun for someone like Coventry in the Championship and propels them into the playoffs.

17 hours ago, MaltRam said:

7 unbeaten? Again bits to love and bits to stress about.

There's very probably a team in there, but they look like they don't know how to show it.

I think you are absolutely right with 'bits to love but bits to stress about' and in my opinion we are consistently inconsistent but I guess that is why we have the players we have.  

Those that have played a higher level than League 1 are either too old and on the downward career trajectory, or couldn't play consistently to warrant playing at a higher level.  Ultimately that's why they are here. 

The younger lads are still learning and trying to find that consistency, but as a team they have showed they are all capable and we need Warne to get the best from them. 

It does feel like it's slowly coming together - just hope for more Blackpool performance and less Cheltenham. 

Cheers

Gangway D from the terrace 

Edited by GangwayD