The Sibley Enigma

sage

18 minutes ago, sage said:

I am stating what I think Warne thinks.

His performance at Carlisle won't have helped his cause 

I fear that, despite his being asked to play a position that is not his best and the fact that only 4 days earlier he'd played very well and scored against Lincoln, you are probably right.

In this age of "head turned" interviews, I would really quite like to know what the open, honest and transparent Paul Warne thinks Sibley needs to do to get into his team!

1 minute ago, jameso said:

I fear that, despite his being asked to play a position that is not his best and the fact that only 4 days earlier he'd played very well and scored against Lincoln, you are probably right.

In this age of "head turned" interviews, I would really quite like to know what the open, honest and transparent Paul Warne thinks Sibley needs to do to get into his team!

He played as a 10 at Carlisle. There was some rotation with the front 4 but he mainly played as a CAM. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

He played as a 10 at Carlisle. There was some rotation with the front 4 but he mainly played as a CAM. 

My recollection (rightly or not) is that he played on the left side and that Waggy was the more central of the 3 behind Collins.

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

My recollection (rightly or not) is that he played on the left side and that Waggy was the more central of the 3 behind Collins.

Nope. Waghorn played left. They swapped around at times, but he started centrally. 

5 minutes ago, jameso said:

I thought that. But even so, one game. His face don't fit, maybe he's awful to deal with?

Warne never really tells thing as they are without some sarcasm attached or some condescension. He'll say something along the lines of 'head turned' but in relation to Sibs and then follow it up with the fact he's uber paranoid. 

All four of our bright young things will have left either by January or end of the season. No Knighty, Birdy, Sibs or Cashin. 😞

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought that. But even so, one game. His face don't fit, maybe he's awful to deal with?

Warne never really tells thing as they are without some sarcasm attached or some condescension. He'll say something along the lines of 'head turned' but in relation to Sibs and then follow it up with the fact he's uber paranoid. 

All four of our bright young things will have left either by January or end of the season. No Knighty, Birdy, Sibs or Cashin. 😞

We'll still have Wash mate with his excellent 5 goal a season average.  I hear he's the next Messi 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Nope. Waghorn played left. They swapped around at times, but he started centrally. 

Yes, you're right... I just clicked at intervals through the match in question and he was more central than either Waggy or NML. In fact NML seemed to be on the left for a lot of the match. I don't know how I didn't remember that! 👴

1 minute ago, jameso said:

Yes, you're right... I just clicked at intervals through the match in question and he was more central than either Waggy or NML. In fact NML seemed to be on the left for a lot of the match. I don't know how I didn't remember that! 👴

I remembered distinctly because i was thinking the Sibley fans on the forum will be happy with where he is playing. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

It was a fluid 3, but I felt it was a roughly 50:50 split in each position. Sibley at LW/AM, Mendez-Laing at RW/LW, and Waghorn at AM/RW.

It still means he's scored 1 goal in less than 90 minutes of playing in 'his' position this season.

2 hours ago, sage said:

I am stating what I think Warne thinks.

His performance at Carlisle won't have helped his cause 

It always comes back to, why is Sibley only allowed one poor performance before dropped, where other players can be below par for months before being dropped? Rooney was the same with him. But I have always felt he will never be a consistent 7/10 player, I think some weeks you get a 5, others you may get a 9. He has the ability we are so lacking, that ability to make something happen, a goal out of nothing.  If the manager won't bring him on against bottom of the league, what does it tell Sibley? How can he possibly improve if he never gets a run of games?

What Sibley needs right now is game time and I would imagine his best option for his career would be to leave. I think he has been failed by recent managers.  A total waste. 

4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

It always comes back to, why is Sibley only allowed one poor performance before dropped, where other players can be below par for months before being dropped? Rooney was the same with him. But I have always felt he will never be a consistent 7/10 player, I think some weeks you get a 5, others you may get a 9. He has the ability we are so lacking, that ability to make something happen, a goal out of nothing.  If the manager won't bring him on against bottom of the league, what does it tell Sibley? How can he possibly improve if he never gets a run of games?

What Sibley needs right now is game time and I would imagine his best option for his career would be to leave. I think he has been failed by recent managers.  A total waste. 

So he takes no responsibility for his non-selection?

4 minutes ago, sage said:

So he takes no responsibility for his non-selection?

Not at all what I am saying. But you can't honestly say he has been given a fair run in the team. If the manager doesn't trust him then stick someone else on the bench. You could look at it your way and say if all the managers are doing this then it must be down to Sibley. However, Rooney doesn't exactly have a glowing record with his handling of young players and Warne doesn't seem to show much either.

21 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Not at all what I am saying. But you can't honestly say he has been given a fair run in the team. If the manager doesn't trust him then stick someone else on the bench. You could look at it your way and say if all the managers are doing this then it must be down to Sibley. However, Rooney doesn't exactly have a glowing record with his handling of young players and Warne doesn't seem to show much either.

I don't have an answer but I imagine the blame lies in more than one direction. 

He'll be playing Tuesday night. Hopefully that will be a game where he can again show us what he can do.

I mean if he doesn't play Tuesday night, forget about him. He'll be out the door in January if he's not playing midweek. Pretty sure he will be playing though