Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Yesterday we didn’t have a shot on target and completed a little over just half our passes.

We’ve turned into a chaotic team, who struggle to string more than 3 passes together at a time. I understand that our mindset has changed, but to my eye we look like a worse team than we did at the start of the season even if we were more timid in our build up. 

Warne will get the chance to prove he’s not the guy. It’s why he was given a four year deal. If we aren’t promoted this season then we will ultimately lose players, most certainly Knight, although at this point if he can’t influence a game in League One then you could argue just how big of a loss he actually would be? Same goes for most of our players. To my mind, we’ve had one player who has performed to expectation and that’s Cashin, everyone else is below, some far below. Actually, add Wildsmith too. 

We would have strung three passes together under of Rosenior - all of them along the back line!

You're giving no credit to the fact Ipswich closed down and ran aa much as any team we've played so far, or that they are top 6 and a settled experienced squad? ?

As for keeping players (and I disagree with you on whether they'll want to stay), if you think it'd be any different for Knight under Rosenior who had him playing fullback then you need to think aagain.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

We would have strung three passes together under of Rosenior - all of them along the back line!

You're giving no credit to the fact Ipswich closed down and ran aa much as any team we've played so far, or that they are top 6 and a settled experienced squad? ?

As for keeping players (and I disagree with you on whether they'll want to stay), if you think it'd be any different for Knight under Rosenior who had him playing fullback then you need to think aagain.

Maybe you would have a point regarding Knight had he put in a decent performance since moving to CM. He’s played his best football at right back this season, in fact it’s not even been close.

50 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Maybe you would have a point regarding Knight had he put in a decent performance since moving to CM. He’s played his best football at right back this season, in fact it’s not even been close.

Even were your opinion correct I think that Knight doesn't see himself nor the rest of his Ireland career at RB. He would certainly go elsewhere if that had continued.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

They must have seen some absolute dross if that is the case.

It was our second worst performance of the season behind Lincoln.

We didn’t once look like scoring all evening and gave the ball away so many times.

The mistake cost us. But that was down to Ipswich’s organized pressing.

Cambridge could quite easily say the same in that we only beat them due to a defensive howler.

I would imagine Warne and Pearson would both be gutted for their teams to play 95 minutes and not get a shot on target. It was a miserable night for Rams fans and we just have to keep reminding ourselves how lucky we are to have a club.

28 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I would imagine Warne and Pearson would both be gutted for their teams to play 95 minutes and not get a shot on target. It was a miserable night for Rams fans and we just have to keep reminding ourselves how lucky we are to have a club.

But they were at home, and only had 3 shots on target. We had two youngsters playing their first 'mens football' up front. But as Warne pointed out we did need to create more chances, so its not like he doesn't know is it.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But they were at home, and only had 3 shots on target. We had two youngsters playing their first 'mens football' up front. But as Warne pointed out we did need to create more chances, so its not like he doesn't know is it.

Would you continue with 3 at the back Macca with NML one of the wing backs ?

22 hours ago, alram said:

you surely either do it in the summer or give LR more time?

things werent great under LR but it was his side that he was building. we won't have a huge budget so will have to work with what we have got. just a bit puzzled by the timing for me, i can't imagine the players were enthused about his sacking.

You’re right they weren’t great under LR just like they’re not now …so time will tell but don’t like the fact we offered very little against Ipswich 

On 22/10/2022 at 03:39, Bris Vegas said:

I hope not.

We all know Nigel Pearson’s 4-4-2 direct football was never going to work after Clough and McClaren had built a possession-based 4-3-3 side. 

I’m sensing a deja vu. Sort of.

We had to get bodies in the building during the summer. But all of our signings were geared towards a possession-based 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Smith, Hourihane and McGoldrick are three ball-playing central players. NML and Bark wide forwards. 

But after just a handful of games we have ripped up the summer recruitment by ditching Rosenior and going for a manager with a completely different style.

Paul Warne plays 3-5-2. He has three promotions with that. I rate him highly. He isn’t going to move away from something he knows works, especially at this level.

But it’s clear we don’t have the players for his style. Barks is looking terrible at LWB. NML looks a shadow of the exciting wide forward of the first few games. I can see Hourihane struggling to get back in. McGoldrick too.

To get promoted, something must give. Warne will not get us promoted with this current side.

Changes will have to be made in January and next summer. I just hope DC is patient and smart enough to realize this and gives Warne the time to build a side who can play his system.

The only thing missing from this post is for you to say is that you want Warne replacing now.What we get is unjust criticism of many players and Warne himself.  Has Barkhuizen really been terrible in all his matches as LWB? You state that Clowes will need patience, do you and other fans have patience?

28 minutes ago, DRBee said:

The only thing missing from this post is for you to say is that you want Warne replacing now.What we get is unjust criticism of many players and Warne himself.  Has Barkhuizen really been terrible in all his matches as LWB? You state that Clowes will need patience, do you and other fans have patience?

We will probably need it…

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Where have I said I’d want him gone?

It would be madness to get rid of him now after putting him on a four-year deal.

We have made our bed.

Now we just have to ride it out. 

This is just my opinion, but I think this season would have been more enjoyable under Rosenior, and perhaps for several players too.

But under Warne I think there is a higher chance of success over the next few years.

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

...This is just my opinion, but I think this season would have been more enjoyable under Rosenior, and perhaps for several players too.

But under Warne I think there is a higher chance of success over the next few years.

What is more enjoyable than success?

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Where have I said I’d want him gone?

It would be madness to get rid of him now after putting him on a four-year deal.

We have made our bed.

Now we just have to ride it out. 

This is just my opinion, but I think this season would have been more enjoyable under Rosenior, and perhaps for several players too.

I must admit,despite being a possession football fan,I've found the football more exciting and enjoyable under Warne...

Liam's football,just didn't go anywhere,it was just dull sadly.