Worst since Atwell

Srg

The first penalty was given by the linesman. The referee probably didn’t see it, but went on the linesman’s call. You can’t really blame him for that.

The second penalty and red card were correct decisions.

But because all that went against us, it just heightened every other mistake he made, however small and insignificant.

The Sibley and Stearman calls were just bizarre. But neither impacted the game in any shape or form.

The ref was poor. But no way is he on par with Atwell and Madley for outrageously bad decisions which did have an affect.

If Atwell was against Cardiff nobody would really bring it up. Only because it was against Forest does it still get talked about.

But the Madley one cost us a chance of automatic promotion. So bad.

I can’t remember the last time we were gifted a monumental decision? Maybe the 0-2 at Bristol City with their sending off?

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The first penalty was given by the linesman. The referee probably didn’t see it, but went on the linesman’s call. You can’t really blame him for that.

The second penalty and red card were correct decisions.

But because all that went against us, it just heightened every other mistake he made, however small and insignificant.

The Sibley and Stearman calls were just bizarre. But neither impacted the game in any shape or form.

The ref was poor. But no way is he on par with Atwell and Madley for outrageously bad decisions which did have an affect.

If Atwell was against Cardiff nobody would really bring it up. Only because it was against Forest does it still get talked about.

But the Madley one cost us a chance of automatic promotion. So bad.

I can’t remember the last time we were gifted a monumental decision? Maybe the 0-2 at Bristol City with their sending off?

Why was the red card the correct decision? 

12 hours ago, Rambalin said:

I can see why the ref sent him off but there is a case for a appeal also retrospective action for feigning injury. 

Also where was a card for the push on Collins 

Opposite end for me, so first time I've seen this.

Looks like a deliberate dig disguised as an innocent ground-slap to me. 
Akin to stepping between an oppo's legs in the hope you just catch him in the balls, but all cunningly disguised as an attempt to regain balance whilst simultaneously stepping clear of said oppo.
He knew what he was doing, imo, but didn't get away with it.

I'm certain we'd be screaming for a red if an oppo player did that to one of ours, and I'll be amazed if anyone on here can convince me otherwise.  Only one person knows the whole truth, of course.

He's been silly, imo.

16 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

It did sound like a disaster of a performance by the officials. Ref poor, linesman always 2 or 3 yards off the play and very slow with decisions.  Do we have a right as a club to put in an official complaint?

@Tyler Durden typical reaction from you. Just laugh without explanation.  I was simply asking a genuine question. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Akin to stepping between an oppo's legs in the hope you just catch him in the balls, but all cunningly disguised as an attempt to regain balance whilst simultaneously stepping clear of said oppo.

I'm certain we'd be screaming for a red if an oppo player did that to one of ours, and I'll be amazed if anyone on here can convince me otherwise.  Only one person knows the whole truth, of course.

He's been silly, imo.

Spot on me owd Mucker, Collins knew what he was doing, As for Forsyth he did too ?

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

@Tyler Durden typical reaction from you. Just laugh without explanation.  I was simply asking a genuine question. 

Am afraid you'll find that behaviour isn't singular to myself on this forum old bean so not sure where the angst directed at myself is coming from.

Your statement made me laugh - is that not enough of a justification for you?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

He's been silly, imo.

I could understand Collins slapping the ground in frustration, as he had just been blocked by the defender, first with his arm and then with his body ,followed by a wrestling match which ended with Collins on the ground. To cap it all he is then pushed back to the ground by another Vale player. And the only action the ref takes is to send Collins off? 

11 hours ago, Rev said:

Worst ref since the last time I got sent off.

While running the line.

Been there done that, At Long Eaton, I gave a goal kick right in front of me, The Ref standing in the centre circle gave a corner, I gave a few expletives then he sent me off, But he had to walk off and fetch his flag as I threw it miles away, Well not miles away...about 20 feet ? 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I could understand Collins slapping the ground in frustration, as he had just been blocked by the defender, first with his arm and then with his body ,followed by a wrestling match which ended with Collins on the ground. To cap it all he is then pushed back to the ground by another Vale player. And the only action the ref takes is to send Collins off? 

I agree with your first comment.  He was indeed clearly frustrated. 
Slapping the ground an inch from the oppo's face (even without making contact with said face) is just inviting trouble... potential feigning from said oppo.  Potential retribution from oppo's teammate(s)... potential (wrong) assumptions by an unsighted ref/lino.

I'm sure you don't need me to remind you of that age-long adage about frustration getting the better of someone.  This is one such perfect example.
I'm not saying the ref was right to show the red card, but it was always gonna be the most likely outcome.  Any freeze frame would almost certainly see any bookies not taking any bets on a red!

Like I say... He was silly.

13 hours ago, cannable said:

Birmingham at home 2015 sticks to mind as well

Iain Williamson. Gave Brum a soft penalty then played 7 minutes added time instead of the 3 minutes shown by the 4th official and didn't spot clear fouls at the last minute corner that led to their equaliser. The two points dropped effectively cost us a playoff place (well, that and Bournemouth and Watford's financial doping). 

4 minutes ago, Rambam said:

An inch from his head? His arm was nowhere near his head. The defender got him sent off. Plus the useless ref of course. 

OK.  It's just a phrase.
Swing an arm, or an elbow when jumping for the ball in tandem?  Kick out at a player?  All without actually making contact?
We all know it invites a (Cheating/exaggerated) reaction from the oppo and/or invites potential punishment from the ref... often a wrongful decision by the ref, if rules are to be followed correctly... but those wrongs rarely seem to get righted. 

Maybe, having now seen replays, the ref also knows he made a wrong decision.  Again, it's too late now!  He'll have to lay awake at night, but that won't bring our CF back for the next 3 games.  It's DCFC that will suffer the consequences.

It's wrong... but it happens... time and time again.  Wrongly or wrongly(!) it's part of today's game.  The players know that.  The fans know that.

I'm not even suggested he made a silly (conscious) decision, as it was likely "Just a natural reaction, due to frustration", but it backfired.  He'll have regrets.  His actions will cost the team.

Again... He was silly.

For the record, I've been known to be silly.  Just stating my opinion, not claiming to be whiter than white.  ?

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Iain Williamson. Gave Brum a soft penalty then played 7 minutes added time instead of the 3 minutes shown by the 4th official and didn't spot clear fouls at the last minute corner that led to their equaliser. The two points dropped effectively cost us a playoff place (well, that and Bournemouth and Watford's financial doping). 

In over 70 games Port Vale have never been awarded a penalty. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

So WE have to explain ourselves, for the ref's poor performance. When does the ref have to explain himself? ?‍♀️

We have to provide some rationale for a low assessment. Seems quite reasonable to me. A bit like an end of year appraisal at work. If your boss scores you as inadequate or whatever, they should have to say why. 

As for the ref, I guess he doesn't have to explain why he gave every decision but I would hope assessments below a certain score are discussed (along with the supporting rationale) with the officials.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

So WE have to explain ourselves, for the ref's poor performance. When does the ref have to explain himself? ?‍♀️

Hopefully if we did complain there should be right to reply. However I guess it will be like getting an apology ftom a doctor for a wrong diagnosis 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why was the red card the correct decision? 

Because in real time it looked like violent conduct - Collins reaction to being hauled down. I imagine if the roles had been reversed pretty much every one on this forum, and every Derby fan, would have said it was the right decision.