Mansfield v Derby matchday thread

archram

35 minutes ago, angieram said:

Collectively, maybe, but most of those players could do a job surrounded by the better players in our first team lineup.

Good example is Stearman,  did okay when he had to cover for Davies, because he'd got good players around him.

What we couldn't cope with is several injuries all at once. Even the five currently out are showing our vulnerability. 

Stearman was our best CB last night by far. 

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I've watched the highlights now and, while I can't comment on his overall performance, I think some of the more scathing views of Cybulski's finishing are a bit harsh. Of the three goal attempts shown, the first (header) he should certainly have done better with; the second (where he hit the post) was great turn and shot, and the third, where he was faced with the keeper coming out and a defender back on the line, he put to the correct side of the keeper and on target - it was just a decent bit of keeping imo. I think there's something to work with there.

Overall performance: he did OK with the press - like a lot of tall players, he probably is quicker than he looks, if a little clumsy in the tackle.

The header was a poor effort and could have done so much for him on the night, and beyond. The shot off the post caught me by surprise as much as it did the Mansfield defence - most encouraging sign I've seen from him, along with his pen, which he took very well.

I apologise for the obvious comparison but as a player he reminds me of Crouch. He seems to have a good touch, but he's nowhere near as good in the air as he "should" be for his height, and I'm not convinced he believes in himself as a finisher/goalscorer... yet. I do think a really good "relationships manager" (as Warne refers to himself) morale/psychologist-type could bring something out of Cybulski that he doesn't yet see in himself.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

Very honest but also considerate response by Warne I thought, making the very valid point that many of the players used last night were either inexperienced at first XI level, short of match time, or both. 

Not sure that saying we don't have a lot of strength in depth sends a very positive message to those on the fringes of the squad who we may need to rely on of injuries affect us.   

Do like Warne's honesty but just thought that comment was a little bit too blunt.

Just now, Blondest Goat said:

Not sure that saying we don't have a lot of strength in depth sends a very positive message to those on the fringes of the squad who we may need to rely on of injuries affect us.   

Do like Warne's honesty but just thought that comment was a little bit too blunt.

Well, we didn't thrash them so I bet even our lot can figure out we're not the strongest in depth?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well, we didn't thrash them so I bet even our lot can figure out we're not the strongest in depth?

Of course.  There's a difference between figuring it out for yourself though and hearing your manager broadcast it to the world.  Managers job is to build those players confidence up surely?

Edited by Blondest Goat

4 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Of course.  There's a difference between figuring it out for yourself though and hearing your manager broadcast it to the world.  Managers job is to build those players confidence up surely?

He'll have quite some job if stating the obvious is enough to wreck their confidence?

Thought Warne's comments were bang on. My only real disappointment was Sibley and Thompson did have a chance to shine and I don't think they've done their case any good for Warne to be considering them for starting places given the performances. Neither played badly, they just didn't seem to effect the game against a lower league side in any memorable way. Opportunity missed for them IMV. Also difficult to see how Bart is going to get two better chances than he did to get off the mark either. 

On 04/10/2022 at 23:50, CBRammette said:

Would be nice to progress (especially as efl would hate us to win it) but realistically if PW wants faster pressing in the league, think our older players will struggle with 2 games like that a week and our squad depth will limit performance levels in these cup matches. So this is, as politicians would claim, a distraction

Tend to agree. This tournament could be considered somewhat inconsequential. For DCFC the gate receipts might only be break even financially. We obviously don't have much depth in the squad, so any injury from playing extra games in this competition would be most unwelcome. It's unlikely that we will be challenging for auto promotion, but a play off place should be possible and that should be the clubs priority. An early exit from the EFL Cup could be blessing. 

Edited by europia

42 minutes ago, europia said:

Tend to agree. This tournament could be considered somewhat inconsequential. For DCFC the gate receipts might only be break even financially. We obviously don't have much depth in the squad, so any injury from playing extra games in this competition would be most unwelcome. It's unlikely that we will be challenging for auto promotion, but a play off place should be possible and that should be the clubs priority. An early exit from the EFL Cup could be blessing. 

I would be very happy if we won at Liverpool.

On 05/10/2022 at 18:50, SillyBilly said:

Thought Warne's comments were bang on. My only real disappointment was Sibley and Thompson did have a chance to shine and I don't think they've done their case any good

was a bit disappointed by Tommo - he looked so promising in late 2021. I think in a midfield mix involving more senior players he will do better - and he and Knight together in a midfield of 5 might provide good balance alongside the more senior players. Despite his lacklustre performance he was one of the players Warne singled out in his post match interview so would not be surprised to see more of him. He’s Warne’s sort of player 

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

was a bit disappointed by Tommo - he looked so promising in late 2021. I think in a midfield mix involving more senior players he will do better - and he and Knight together in a midfield of 5 might provide good balance alongside the more senior players. Despite his lacklustre performance he was one of the players Warne singled out in his post match interview so would not be surprised to see more of him. He’s Warne’s sort of player 

He was excellent against West Brom but since then has had very little football- it showed.

57 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Thought the game mostly passed him by. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought the game mostly passed him by. 

I think people have to remember where he is in his development. He's only had the equivalent to half a season of senior men's football. His playing time this season has also been very limited, with only 34 minutes in the league. He's a good option as 6th choice CM behind Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith and Sibley.

It's also worth noting he was an important player in helping us take 7 points out of 9 in the games he played against Bournemouth and Fulham last season. He also played a key role in our November-January run when he first entered the side, playing 690 minutes out of 810 as we picked up 17 points from 27. We only won 5 games in which he didn't play, winning 9 with him playing a part (23 games with, 23 games without)

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think people have to remember where he is in his development. He's only had the equivalent to half a season of senior men's football. His playing time this season has also been very limited, with only 34 minutes in the league. He's a good option as 6th choice CM behind Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith and Sibley.

It's also worth noting he was an important player in helping us take 7 points out of 9 in the games he played against Bournemouth and Fulham last season. He also played a key role in our November-January run when he first entered the side, playing 690 minutes out of 810 as we picked up 17 points from 27. We only won 5 games in which he didn't play, winning 9 with him playing a part (23 games with, 23 games without)

Facts facts facts. God sake man get on trend. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yes, which is why I think he ought to be back playing in the U21s - he needs game time and he's not good enough to oust the current first team midfield.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He’s the victim of his own success. He overachieved against expectations in a few of the games he played last season despite not really being strong enough on the ball. 

He was at his best being positive. Now that form has (temporarily) deserted him, passes aren’t quite reaching their intended destination and so he retreats, not surprisingly, into safe mode. Cue grumbling from the crowd.

He needs to get his rhythm back but I worry about him being part of a struggling U21 side.

I hope Warne hasn’t disregarded him based on a few under par performances because the talent is there.

He is perhaps a victim of First Team/U21 set up. 

Young players who aren't in the team aren't getting U21 games. I do also think we get carried away with our young players when they make debuts. It makes the inevitable lean spell even more dramatic.