Mansfield v Derby matchday thread

archram

Would be nice to progress (especially as efl would hate us to win it) but realistically if PW wants faster pressing in the league, think our older players will struggle with 2 games like that a week and our squad depth will limit performance levels in these cup matches. So this is, as politicians would claim, a distraction

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

(although I'd prefer at least some bloody control!) ,

I was just longing for someone to do that thing you see so often in the Prem, where the player just puts his foot out, the ball lands softly on this toes, falls like a dead cat and then sits obediently at his feet like a spaniel waiting for you to throw the stick. Instead the ball was constantly out of control and in the air - like watching wimbledon in the 90s

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I tell thee what. 

You can see who's begrudged giving David Clowes a tenner towards our running costs by the responses on here.

Rams tv should be like one of those restaurants where you decide after you’ve finished how much you should pay. Tonight I’d pay £3 for Dobbin’s goal, £2 for Bird’s earlier pass to him, £1.50 for that run by Sibley down the right wing and £2.50 for Tommo’s penalty (just like Martial last night). But then I’d deduct £1 for each of Fozzy and Stears’ penalties and £2 for their goal. £5 quid. That’s fair it was pretty grim overall 

19 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I always love that watching a game of football can lead to such differing views! Goes to show you can’t really trust anything you read on here (or hear on RD).

Unless I see it with my own eyes I don’t  believe anything! ??

Roberts was decent on the ball and put in the cross of the match. He still very clearly has some talent & understanding of the game and will be a very good footballer in the future.

..but he isn't a wing back, it's debatable whether he's really even a left back, and positionally / helping out the defence he was caught out quite a bit.

He's totally unsuited to what we're asking of him, he was a player who came here because of his links to Rosenior but it's one of those loans that's potentially going to do both the player and the club more damage than good if we keep him around too long under a different manager than the one he was brought in under.

Edited by Kokosnuss

29 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I always love that watching a game of football can lead to such differing views! Goes to show you can’t really trust anything you read on here (or hear on RD).

Unless I see it with my own eyes I don’t  believe anything! ??

That's all very self-assuring from your own point of view. But on the flip-side, if we all subscribe to your own hypothesis, how the hell can the rest of us believe anything only you have seen with your own eyes? ?

And you wouldn't be much use if you were asked to undertake jury service ?

Edited by Brailsford Ram

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Roberts put some very decent crosses into the box and forward passes.

He was given so much space and received so much ball, that anyone would have got crosses in. 

Most were poor. His passing off. Defending dreadful 

Tonight made me worry that unless we are lucky with injuries that we can't finish top six. 

The drop off is stark. 

13 minutes ago, sage said:

He was given so much space and received so much ball, that anyone would have got crosses in.

I would argue though that he had about the same number of chances to put in a decent cross as Mendez-Laing, and at least he put one excellent one in (which would have been an easy chance for a senior CF) as opposed to none from NML or Barkhuizen (who never really got the chance to do so, but honestly I doubt would have done)

We don't really have anyone I'm comfortbale with putting at wing back for the rest of the season.

Edited by Kokosnuss

16 minutes ago, sage said:

Most were poor. His passing off. Defending dreadful 

Tonight made me worry that unless we are lucky with injuries that we can't finish top six. 

The drop off is stark. 

I very much doubt that tonight's line up will ever start in Division One this season. Have some faith.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Gigs wasn't eligible to play for the England national team. He did play for England schoolboys due to go to an English school, but still couldnt play for the England national team.

Festy may have been born in Ireland, but has Nigerian parents.

I dont know how much more Irish you can get than a name like Eiran. Éire... Eiran... Cashin is also a Gaelic name.

On the Giggs conundrum, when his Welsh grandad died it was reported :

“The pair shared a strong relationship, with Ryan’s decision to play for Wales internationally down to Dennis’ side of the family.”

dunno  As you suggest it is reported elsewhere that he never qualified to play seniors for England. It doesn’t help that there was a major rule change in 93 

1st away game been able to get tkts for,  and felt very flat, but we didn't lose..... they just got the bonus point after senior players fluffed their penalties! 

Loach seemed capable but the goal should have been cleared at front post, not sure he could have got to it as bodies in front,  think the delay and absence of 1 of their players affected the concentration. Deserved equaliser though.

Cashin not comfortable on the right, but not helped with poor display by Barkhauzen,  not just defensively but giving ball away cheaply, not only guilty 1 though.

Wondered how it would have worked with Stearman on right and Cashin on left with Fozzie in middle as more natural position for Stearman and Cashin, looked imbalanced as it was. 

Roberts very hit and miss going forwards, some good balls, especially for the goal,  but at least 2 crosses straight out of play, no excuse when not under pressure on a good pitch, although 1 miss-hit one needed touching onto post in nd half.

Was very disappointed with Thompson, arguably the worst player on the pitch, but didn't realise he's not played for a month, off the pace and too easily brushed aside, not the terrier like displays we got used to from last season.

Midfield bypassed a lot, hence Sibley didn't get involved much as the ball didn't stick with Cybulski or Dobbin either to allow him to play off them.

Dobbin looked too casual right up until he scored, which was excellent and hope he gains confidence going forward. 

Cybulski should have done better with header 1st half and sitter in 2nd, not been convinced by him in the brief amount I've seen him play but won't right him off yet, especially as good sharp effort that hit the post, hoping just needs the confidence a goal will give him,  but does need to hold ball up better and press with more energy.

Knight and NML showed some good touches and quality 2nd half, no way was it a booking for NML, pos not enough for a penalty either as not really in control as he entered the area.

Def offside late on as ball going out for goalkick if it wasn't played as came back on the pitch.

Generally showed PW he has a lot to do and we are lacking depth, although if Smith, Osula, Rooney and McGoldrick were fit then it looks better straight away.

Credit to Mansfield, can see why they don't lose many at home, fit, strong, big, move the ball quickly with purpose and can tell they are a settled team....

The young Forest loanee looks a prospect.

Edited by Rich84
Added a bit

Decided to go at the very last minute due to work commitments so sat with the Mansfield fans being a Mansfield lad myself

Thought Mansfield deserved there win to be fair second half especially,i think the corner count must of been around 15-1 at least ver the game

PW allured to it in his interview that we got bullied off the ball and as a better picture of what our squad really looks like away from our regular starting 11,its easy to say were not bothered about the Pizza Cup when you loose but it still goes down as a full competitive game and the fringe players did themselves no favors with that performance

On to Port Vale were 3 points is a must to keep pace with the top 6,COYR

8 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Meanwhile Ipswich and Plymouth both win while we are goofing around in the Pizza Cup ….

And for balance, Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday (both in the top 6) both lost.

A poor performance by all accounts (I couldn’t get to watch it) but we don’t have a choice as to whether we play in the group stages. If you’re not a fan of the competition then perhaps it would be a good thing if we “goofed around” and got ourselves eliminated.

Re the dubious offside/disallowed goal - I think it has something to do with being offside during an earlier phase of play, so either Fozzy or Knighty could have been given offside because it it no longer only applies in the instant.  It is why a player can be flagged offside when he receives the ball in his own half, which happened to a Derby player a few matches ago.

It means a goalmouth scramble like last night should never, ever result in a goal because there will always be someone offside at some stage in the melee (pronounced “mellay” for those who think “melee” looks silly!).

With my usual cynicism I would suggest that the match officials can pick on any player they want and flag him offside whenever they want to regardless of whether he is offside or not, and no-one will be any the wiser.

The EFL rules will probably say different, but we all know what EFL rules are like. 

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

And for balance, Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday (both in the top 6) both lost.

A poor performance by all accounts (I couldn’t get to watch it) but we don’t have a choice as to whether we play in the group stages. If you’re not a fan of the competition then perhaps it would be a good thing if we “goofed around” and got ourselves eliminated.

Yeah, I thought that was a strange comment. We still play 46 games like they do and there's no real psychological advantage as we're outside the top 6 at the moment.