Mansfield v Derby matchday thread

archram

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

And you wouldn't be much use if you were asked to undertake jury service ?

The Old Baily...London

Lawyer...Your honour, I'd like to call my main and last witness to the incident

Judge...You may Mr Ironside

Call in Mrs Mufti...Call in Mrs Mufti...Mrs Mufti

Mrs Mufti do you swear to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth

Mrs Mufti...I do

Lawyer...Mrs Mufti on the afternoon in question you were standing on the corner of the street

Mrs Mufti...Yes

Lawyer...Could you tell the jury what you saw.

Mrs Mufti...The dog ran across the road

Lawyer...The dog ran across the road

Mrs Mufti...Yes

Lawyer...What happened when the dog ran across the road

Mrs Mufti...Once the dog ran across the road it jumped on a man with a bag who ran out of the Jewlers, The bag fell open and a lot of Jewlry fell out

Lawyer...Is the man who was jumped on by the dog in this court today

Mrs Mufti...Yes

Lawyer...Could you point to that man

Mrs Mufti...It's that man there

Lawyer...You're pointing to the man with a black and white hooped jumper, Black trousers and a mask covering both eyes

Mrs Mufti...Yes

Lawyer...I rest the case for the prosecution M-lud

Judge...Jurors you have heard the case against Alf the lucky, Go to the jury room and deliberate, We need a unanimous decision for a guilty verdict

After 6 hours deliberation the jury comes out.

Judge...have you come to a decision

Jury foreman...Yes judge, It's 11 for guilty and one not guilty

Judge...1 not guilty

Jury foreman...yes judge, 1 jury member wouldn't believe the main eye witnesses account of the Jewlery theft

Judge...release Alf the lucky case not proven

Alf the lucky is the most notorious jewel thief in London 

7 hours ago, Rich84 said:

1st away game been able to get tkts for,  and felt very flat, but we didn't lose..... they just got the bonus point after senior players fluffed their penalties! 

Loach seemed capable but the goal should have been cleared at front post, not sure he could have got to it as bodies in front,  think the delay and absence of 1 of their players affected the concentration. Deserved equaliser though.

Cashin not comfortable on the right, but not helped with poor display by Barkhauzen,  not just defensively but giving ball away cheaply, not only guilty 1 though.

Wondered how it would have worked with Stearman on right and Cashin on left with Fozzie in middle as more natural position for Stearman and Cashin, looked imbalanced as it was. 

Roberts very hit and miss going forwards, some good balls, especially for the goal,  but at least 2 crosses straight out of play, no excuse when not under pressure on a good pitch, although 1 miss-hit one needed touching onto post in nd half.

Was very disappointed with Thompson, arguably the worst player on the pitch, but didn't realise he's not played for a month, off the pace and too easily brushed aside, not the terrier like displays we got used to from last season.

Midfield bypassed a lot, hence Sibley didn't get involved much as the ball didn't stick with Cybulski or Dobbin either to allow him to play off them.

Dobbin looked too casual right up until he scored, which was excellent and hope he gains confidence going forward. 

Cybulski should have done better with header 1st half and sitter in 2nd, not been convinced by him in the brief amount I've seen him play but won't right him off yet, especially as good sharp effort that hit the post, hoping just needs the confidence a goal will give him,  but does need to hold ball up better and press with more energy.

Knight and NML showed some good touches and quality 2nd half, no way was it a booking for NML, pos not enough for a penalty either as not really in control as he entered the area.

Def offside late on as ball going out for goalkick if it wasn't played as came back on the pitch.

Generally showed PW he has a lot to do and we are lacking depth, although if Smith, Osula, Rooney and McGoldrick were fit then it looks better straight away.

Credit to Mansfield, can see why they don't lose many at home, fit, strong, big, move the ball quickly with purpose and can tell they are a settled team....

The young Forest loanee looks a prospect.

Felt sorry for the lads who tried to Stoke up the atmosphere a bit. Especially after the train was cancelled. I was hard to get exited as you can’t get much lower down the football pyramid. Warne’s interview on the way home lifted spirits.

I wasn't impressed by the game.

I feel a positive result could have been achieved if 7 changes hadn't been made to the starting 11, effectively fielding a weaker team.

I get that warne, wanted to give a game to players who weren't getting much game time.

That's back fired.

I think there's a reason that lr didn't give those players a lot of game time.

I think lr would have fielded a strong and not a weaker team.

It feels like the fans have been let down on this.

That this wasn't the time to field the weaker team.

Det: "Reflecting on the shootout defeat, Warne said: "I think our strength in depth isn't amazing. We have to look after the first 11 quite obviously and we've got another game on Saturday.

"There are a lot of lads here who need game time. I thought the senior pros committed themselves really well and the young pros are playing against an experienced League Two team.

"It is what it is. It's men. There were times when we were a little bit outmanned and a little bit open. We had a 20-minute spell in the second half when they smoked us."

We know we don't have a strong enough team in terms of depth, strong available substitutions. The heart of the team was previously ripped out, as so many players left.

Had we played a full strength team, derby win that game.

I get that we need to give players a rest, but so many changes to the first team before kick off.

I'm also guessing that it doesn't matter, if we lose the game, as we should be focusing on league position.

Our best striker Collins, didn't even make the team.

After due consideration I think that we didn't do too badly given the strength both numerically and literally of the team last night.

In the first half Birdy looked excellent and the ball through to Dobbin was what the forwards have been crying out for for ages, unfortunately Dobbin missed. He was a bit of a curates egg, offside a couple of time and trying to be too clever but a good finish for his goal.

Thought Sibley didn't get a lot of joy from being with Barks who was limited in his endeavours on the right.

Cash looked good again.

Bart had a better second half, much more involved, missed a glorious headed chance and hit the post. 

Roberts looked a decent player, not sure where his best position will be though, he put in some great balls and hit the bar with one - a long range shot?

Thomson needs to be back in the U21s.

Fozzy needs to retire!

Robinson and Oduroh both had good second half cameos.

Edited by RoyMac5

10 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

That's all very self-assuring from your own point of view. But on the flip-side, if we all subscribe to your own hypothesis, how the hell can the rest of us believe anything only you have seen with your own eyes? ?

And you wouldn't be much use if you were asked to undertake jury service ?

Sorry, forgot this was the internet and there’s no room for interpretation or inferring from context.  I should have written:

When it comes to football, I don’t believe it unless I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Better? 

Regarding the 'lack of depth'. We still have to remember we have a few players out injured/ill. Just for a moment, let's pretend the 11 vs Cambridge was our first 11.

Wildsmith
Chester   Davies   Cashin
Mendez-Laing   Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Barkhuizen
Dobbin   Collins

The next 11 with everyone fit would be something like:

Anang
Rooney   Stearman   Forsyth
Oduroh   Sibley   Smith   Tommo   Roberts
Osula   McGoldrick

Five of those players (bold) were unavailable last night. Between them, they would have added:
a) fresh legs after a tiring game at the weekend
b) experience to a youthful midfield and forward line
c) greater ability upfront

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Very honest but also considerate response by Warne I thought, making the very valid point that many of the players used last night were either inexperienced at first XI level, short of match time, or both. 

I don’t think things will change much for the Man City match, sandwiched between Accrington on the Saturday and Ipswich on the Friday night.

12 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Meanwhile Ipswich and Plymouth both win while we are goofing around in the Pizza Cup ….

Why does this matter? We'll end up playing the same amount of league games this season, so plenty of time to catch up.

I've watched the highlights now and, while I can't comment on his overall performance, I think some of the more scathing views of Cybulski's finishing are a bit harsh. Of the three goal attempts shown, the first (header) he should certainly have done better with; the second (where he hit the post) was great turn and shot, and the third, where he was faced with the keeper coming out and a defender back on the line, he put to the correct side of the keeper and on target - it was just a decent bit of keeping imo. I think there's something to work with there.

11 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I would argue though that he had about the same number of chances to put in a decent cross as Mendez-Laing, and at least he put one excellent one in (which would have been an easy chance for a senior CF) as opposed to none from NML or Barkhuizen (who never really got the chance to do so, but honestly I doubt would have done)

We don't really have anyone I'm comfortbale with putting at wing back for the rest of the season.

He was given far more space than the two right wing backs as Mansfield quite rightly prioritised. NMLs crosses weren't good but he was underr much more pressure.

11 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I very much doubt that tonight's line up will ever start in Division One this season. Have some faith.

Neither do i, my point is that if and when we get injuries, in most areas of the pitch, it's a big drop off.

8 minutes ago, sage said:

Neither do i, my point is that if and when we get injuries, in most areas of the pitch, it's a big drop off.

Collectively, maybe, but most of those players could do a job surrounded by the better players in our first team lineup.

Good example is Stearman,  did okay when he had to cover for Davies, because he'd got good players around him.

What we couldn't cope with is several injuries all at once. Even the five currently out are showing our vulnerability. 

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Collectively, maybe, but most of those players could do a job surrounded by the better players in our first team lineup.

Good example is Stearman,  did okay when he had to cover for Davies, because he'd got good players around him.

What we couldn't cope with is several injuries all at once. Even the five currently out are showing our vulnerability. 

Five out? 

McGoldrick, Smith, Osula. Ananga and?