Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

I honestly think that a lot of the pull for recruiting the players we have was Rosenior's (and even possibly a bit of Rooney's.)

I don't think Warne had quite the same contacts as them. 

However, he will be rapidly gaining reputation with some bigger names now. That's going to put him - and us -  in a good place for the summer.

On 10/01/2023 at 11:24, RadioactiveWaste said:

They're starting to be good at being a Paul Warne team.

It's encouraging but let's not get carried away. 

As the Buddha never actually said, but probably wished he had, happiness is the journey, not the destination.

We're on a journey with the immediate destination being the Championship, and I say, let's get ducking carried away and enjoy the journey. Then if we don't quite make the destination at least we had fun trying. to get there.

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Would we be top 2 if he had come in at the start of the season?

Are you saying once Rosesenior had bought the players in move Rosesenoir out then bring Warne in at the start, Or are you saying bring Warne in to start the re build?

If #1 that would have been extremely harsh on LR and would PW have left Rotherham being the start of a new season

If #2 I don't think the players that are here would have been PWs 1st choice

So imo there's no answer to your question as hindsight and crystal balls are in very short supply 

28 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Are you saying once Rosesenior had bought the players in move Rosesenoir out then bring Warne in at the start, Or are you saying bring Warne in to start the re build?

If #1 that would have been extremely harsh on LR and would PW have left Rotherham being the start of a new season

If #2 I don't think the players that are here would have been PWs 1st choice

So imo there's no answer to your question as hindsight and crystal balls are in very short supply 

Simple question, not a trick one , perhaps look in terms of do I think if warne had these player from the start of the season do I think we would be in the top two , pretty similar to young clough building a team and s Mac getting better results from them , it’s not a slur on rosenior ,he did a good job getting players in though Rooney had set some wheels in motion 

Edited by Archied

I think its a waste of time speculating on where we would be if we kept Rosenior or where we would have been had Warne been here all season. But we know that Warne would not have played Knight at right back. I am a big fan of Warne and have every confidence in him taking us to the premiership in a few seasons

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Would we be top 2 if he had come in at the start of the season?

In a normal season after a regular close season, then we'd have been more likely to be in the automatic places, but not this season. I'd suggest circumstances dictated it was probably the optimum time to bring Warne in when we did.

In a normal season we'd be close to competing with the top 2 now, but alas they remain miles ahead of us.

31 minutes ago, Archied said:

Simple question, not a trick one , perhaps look in terms of do I think if warne had these player from the start of the season do I think we would be in the top two , pretty similar to young clough building a team and s Mac getting better results from them , it’s not a slur on rosenior ,he did a good job getting players in though Rooney had set some wheels in motion 

On what we've seen since PW has been here he'd have had another 9 games to have adapted his training methods, Set up his team and educate the players in how he wants to play from the seasons start.

Would the players/team in PWs 1st 9 games been at the start of the season maybe just maybe all those draws we had could have turned into wins...who knows.

All what if's aint it Olivia Newton-John 80S GIF?

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

On what we've seen since PW has been here he'd have had another 9 games to have adapted his training methods, Set up his team and educate the players in how he wants to play from the seasons start.

Would the players/team in PWs 1st 9 games been at the start of the season maybe just maybe all those draws we had could have turned into wins...who knows.

All what if's aint it Olivia Newton-John 80S GIF?

A simple and crude comparison of points per game, suggests that we would be four points better off now if Warne had started the season as manager.

Rosenior P9  W4 D2  L3  F9   A9  Pts. 14

Warne    P17 W9 D6  L2  F29 A9  Pts. 33 

To hit the 92 points potential target for automatic promotion, before we went to Bolton last month, we could afford to drop only 17 points to reach the target. That fell to 15 at Bolton and that is still the case after another four wins on the trot. A win on Tuesday at Port Vale would see us hit 2pts per game under Warne with 19 games left to play. The momentum we now have gives some reason to hope that Warne could go beyond a 2 points per game overall average by the end of the season. In that case, we would go beyond the 92 points target.

There's a lot of ifs and buts lying ahead of us but I think our players are now approaching games with a winning expectation and are now more respected by opposing teams. The transformation is pretty remarkable given that Warne has achieved this so far with players he didn't recruit for his system. Ipswich are slipping rapidly but there's still a gap to bridge between us and Wednesday and Plymouth but we only need to catch one of them. So for me, we have grounds for optimism for achieving the target while it remains realistic. Warne's transitional work seems complete so now it's time to cash in on the hard miles. If it goes out of the window, there's always the play-offs.

If Warne takes us to top two, we might even be welcoming Kokosnuss to the Cult - his Valentine's Day intentions seem pretty promising ❤️?.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

41 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

This is the hardest working Derby team I’ve seen in a long time. ??

It's maybe even the hardest working and fittest I've seen in 62 years. Not the best though but now doing very well in this league.

22 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

It's maybe even the hardest working and fittest I've seen in 62 years. Not the best though but now doing very well in this league.

Its starting to look impressive isn't it?

Knight always had that energy but now others are closing down in the oppositions third making it difficult for them to play out and build up a head of steam.

The improvement in work rate is tangible but its actually intelligently targeted work rate and with a sprinkling of skill we have its very productive and good to watch.

As @Bob The Badger said further up, lets enjoy the journey, these seasons don't come around all that often so we should celebrate our performances every match and see where it takes us.