Bielik at Brum

Ramrob

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He still has a year and a half on his contract with us

He does.  Obviously only a year when he's back .  We ain't going to get offers for him on 12 months on his salary .  It's one we'll be keen to get rid off.  Hence, I think a free transfer to shift his salary is likely.  If not, it's probably 3 million written off for FFP rather than the half of that we'll be paying Arsenal.

Unfortunately for Bielik, in my eyes, he has come to define the Mel Morris era. I whole lot of promise, a huge pot of money spaffed up the wall, and a suffocating dollop of disappointment. As much as I think he has a load of talent, I'll be glad to see the back of him, so we can build a club around an entirely different, more sustainable and authentic culture.

11 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Unfortunately for Bielik, in my eyes, he has come to define the Mel Morris era. I whole lot of promise, a huge pot of money spaffed up the wall, and a suffocating dollop of disappointment. As much as I think he has a load of talent, I'll be glad to see the back of him, so we can build a club around an entirely different, more sustainable and authentic culture.

It was a crazy signing. If spending thar amount we could have bought in several improvements. Spending so much on a single player in our circs made no sense.

22 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

It was a crazy signing. If spending thar amount we could have bought in several improvements. Spending so much on a single player in our circs made no sense.

Around that time Ivan Toney and Ollie Watkins - combined - went for about half what we paid for Krystian. 

It's very easy to say players were not worth the money after the event when you actually have hindsight to play with.

Bielik could have been a sensational signing, we could have got promoted under Cocu, and no one would have been complaining.

For every Ivan Toney and Ollie Watkins, there is a Bielik agreed - and I don't disagree that we haven't had the best strategy on purchasing either - but its very easy to criticise down the line.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

It's very easy to say players were not worth the money after the event when you actually have hindsight to play with.

Bielik could have been a sensational signing, we could have got promoted under Cocu, and no one would have been complaining.

For every Ivan Toney and Ollie Watkins, there is a Bielik agreed - and I don't disagree that we haven't had the best strategy on purchasing either - but its very easy to criticise down the line.

It's easier to criticise down the line when there's a history of poor, expensive signings and very little show of any real plan, oh plus masses of debt. Yep, it's easy alright.

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

Of all our terrible signings, Bielik isn't one of them. He's had two ACLs - just freakish terrible luck - and when fit has shown enough for us to know that without those injuries he would have been an absolute rock. 

There's a difference between a bad transfer (and we've had plenty of them) and bad luck. Bielik is bad luck. 

If instead of what seems like dozens of Butterfields and Blackmans and Joswiaks, we'd just have signed three or four Bieliks, we'd be in a much better place.

Edited by vonwright

1 hour ago, vonwright said:

Of all our terrible signings, Bielik isn't one of them. He's had two ACLs - just freakish terrible luck - and when fit has shown enough for us to know that without those injuries he would have been an absolute rock. 

There's a difference between a bad transfer (and we've had plenty of them) and bad luck. Bielik is bad luck. 

If instead of what seems like dozens of Butterfields and Blackmans and Joswiaks, we'd just have signed three or four Bieliks, we'd be in a much better place.

I agree these players were generally pants.  However, knowing he had some attributes that would make a difference to us, even knowing that we were flying, he's stayed were he was with us shelling out another 1.5 million on transfer fee this season with no return.  That to me makes him worse than the others as the aforementioned players wouldn't have played for us again bar a few likely games for Jozwiak as we were desperate.  Just my opinion. 

22 hours ago, rammieib said:

I dont think its about whether he was worth the money as he could have risen through the leagues with us as our key player barring injury BUT the amount invested for one player at that stage easily demonstrates the roulette played with our club by MM