Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Plymouth were very good, apart from when we pressed them high up the pitch. Thought we actually started the second half well, for the first time this season, and could have been 3 up with better decision making from Mendez-Laing and McGoldrick. Then they scored and Rosenior seemingly panicked. The subs were crap and played directly into Plymouth's hands. McGoldrick didn't look like he needed to come off but if the plan was for him to just play an hour, Sibley should have come on for him, not to play on the wing. Bringing Thompson on was so negative, he's in really poor form and it just invited them on to us. 

2 minutes ago, roboto said:

I think it’s been mentioned already, but the first two subs from us totally changed the game (for the wrong reasons for us).

McGoldrick was bossing it and Hourihane doesn’t work well in that position.

Sibley (out of position etc etc…) wasn’t as effective as he had been recently and Dobbin was brought on too late.

Hope LR learns from this one. It stings, but we have a lot of games left and with Collins now finding the net and Didzy getting fitter we will bounce back next time.

McGoldrick perhaps can’t last a whole game yet…..

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

I think it’s been mentioned already, but the first two subs from us totally changed the game (for the wrong reasons for us).

McGoldrick was bossing it and Hourihane doesn’t work well in that position.

Sibley (out of position etc etc…) wasn’t as effective as he had been recently and Dobbin was brought on too late.

Hope LR learns from this one. It stings, but we have a lot of games left and with Collins now finding the net and Didzy getting fitter we will bounce back next time.

Well put. Also McGoldrick,Sibley and Dobbin seem to play well together

Yes Plymouth were, on the day the better team and take the points. But we can look back at the Fleetwood and Shrewsbury away games and on a lucky day would have won both and would be sat on 15 points, just 2 behind the leaders. That's football, I'm convinced we will be in the mix for promotion. Players will get to gel as the season progresses. Liam will get to know his best starting 11 for the different tactics of the team we face.

Disappointing loss that. Poor subs cost us imo. Dobbin should have been on for Barkz, Sibley should have been on for Didzy. It all became a mess after those subs. I agree that Conor didn’t play well and Rooney on to help shore up the midfield would have been the better option.

It felt like Liam just wanted to give some minutes to Tommo some minutes and get the the new kid on for his debut rather than managing the actual game in front of him. 

Beaten by the better team, however Rosenoir cost us with poor substitutions, tactically naive unfortunately. Glad Collins scored and thought Knight was excellent, the block on the line was phenomenal. 

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Yes Plymouth were, on the day the better team and take the points. But we can look back at the Fleetwood and Shrewsbury away games and on a lucky day would have won both and would be sat on 15 points, just 2 behind the leaders. That's football, I'm convinced we will be in the mix for promotion. Players will get to gel as the season progresses. Liam will get to know his best starting 11 for the different tactics of the team we face.

I was at the Shrewsbury game, that too could have gone either way, a draw about right….

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Disappointing loss that. Poor subs cost us imo. Dobbin should have been on for Barkz, Sibley should have been on for Didzy. It all became a mess after those subs. I agree that Conor didn’t play well and Rooney on to help shore up the midfield would have been the better option.

It felt like Liam just wanted to give some minutes to Tommo some minutes and get the the new kid on for his debut rather than managing the actual game in front of him. 

Did seem odd to me that Collins has played pretty much 90 mins every game gets taken off in the one game when he had finally scored . The new kid didn’t really look ready yet.