Clubs you quite like?

IslandExile

Notts County - the only team in Nottingham worth watching.

Blackpool - for the way they took to the PL in their first season. 

Wrexham - the first league team I supported. 

Arsenal - my first choice when told "you have to pick a First Division team" 60 years ago.

Hearts - after standing amongst the foul-mouthed, vile Hibs fans.

City are the team I follow in the prem. My Gran was a fan and passed away just before all the success though obviously she had fond memories of their 60s side. My uncles, auntie and mum were all United, had a mild soft spot in 99 and admit celebrating when Solskjaer scored THAT goal in Camp Nou (as much because they were playing some of that German Euro 96 side) but could never support them, even my Mum turned on them when Neville and Becks ran 30 yards to the ref to get Stefan Schnoor sent off!! Newcastle I followed as Grandad was from North East and a fan, told me all about Jackie Milburn, but Ashley made them boring and had enough pain and frustration supporting my own club, can’t really get on board with them now though wouldn’t mind them upsetting the apple cart like City.

As for clubs without a family connection, I’ve always liked Arsenal since the Wenger days, like to see Burton and Chesterfield do well, and Notts County because we all have that special hatred in common.

Sold programs at Notts as a teen, which gave you free entry. So I've seen them 100's of times (actually more times than the team I support) and always wanted them to do well. It obviously helps that they've not really been anywhere close to us so they aren't a threat.

As a kid I remember wanting a Dortmund shirt. 

Also like to see how the local teams like Long Eaton and Ilkeston are doing.

On 09/08/2022 at 07:39, BriggRam said:

Vitesse Arnhem........once a year they even change there colours to maroon and blue to commemorate the British Airborne Forces that fought there in 1944 ?

Does that constitute a political statement, like England wearing poppies?

Inter Milan - drawn to them when Roberto Carlos signed for them and scored some screamers, I played left back and he was my first footballing idol (after tin man). Shown on Gazetta football Italia, the only football on TV on at a decent time.

Real Madrid - When Carlos moved there, plus Suker, plus Hierro during the Proto-galacticos time,  thought they were class. In a world where people where banging on about ManUre being a great team, these pundits had no idea!

Rangers -  just like them. Cant help but like their players, McCoist, Gough, Goram, Gazza, Walter Smith. Also liked all the Union Flags waived about and the McMinn testimonial was wonderful.

Alfreton Town - local team, first ever match (and only one my dad ever took me to), must confess been to more away games with Often than Derby away.

Always liked Spurs and look for Burton’s results.  Spurs because of Glenn Hoddle.  It’s criminal that he didn’t win more caps for England.  I lived down the road from Burton’s ground in the 70’s and my Dad used to take me watch them when Derby were away.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

On 08/08/2022 at 23:25, LeedsCityRam said:

AFC Wimbledon are my stand out. Been to watch them a few times & think they're the ultimate example of fan power beating inept football governing bodies

It's Wimbledon for me too. It can't be overstated what a huge service they've done for football by kicking up such a stink about the way their club was stolen. I absolutely guarantee that if they hadn't pushed back so hard we would've seen several more clubs move to other cities in the last few decades.

Always had an eye on Spurs as liked Hoddle, Perryman, Ardiles, Villa etc.  If I hadn't started following Derby around '76 I'd have supported them.   

And Watford as I live 30 mins from there and my best mate's family were life long ST holders, so went there a fair bit as a youth.  It's there where I was nearly lynched in the Vicarage Road stand when Gabbiadini scored the winner in 1994 when we beat them 4-3 and I was the only one to leap up and celebrate.  Ah, happy days.