Clubs you quite like?

IslandExile

Gresley Rovers and Burton Albion - two local non-league teams from my youth.  

Obviously Burton have progressed well since my younger days, but I always keep half an eye on their results.  Unfortunately, one way or another I don't think we'll be in the same division next season.

6 hours ago, Anon said:

It's Wimbledon for me too. It can't be overstated what a huge service they've done for football by kicking up such a stink about the way their club was stolen. I absolutely guarantee that if they hadn't pushed back so hard we would've seen several more clubs move to other cities in the last few decades.

Definitely - their fight showered MK Franchise with so much negative PR, it made a permanent stain on the stolen club. Any prospective owners thinking of doing the same will have seen the fallout & concluded it wasn't worth the hassle.

Also a chastening reminder to the football authorities about the collective strength of fans. They tried to bury the original club by having the audacity to say a reformed phoenix club was 'not in the wider interests of football' - in 9 years AFC Wimbledon went from holding trials in a park to taking their place in the Football League. And now back at Plough Lane too - fairy tale stuff. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Definitely - their fight showered MK Franchise with so much negative PR, it made a permanent stain on the stolen club. Any prospective owners thinking of doing the same will have seen the fallout & concluded it wasn't worth the hassle.

Also a chastening reminder to the football authorities about the collective strength of fans. They tried to bury the original club by having the audacity to say a reformed phoenix club was 'not in the wider interests of football' - in 9 years AFC Wimbledon went from holding trials in a park to taking their place in the Football League. And now back at Plough Lane too - fairy tale stuff. 

Winkleman killed 2 clubs with the barsteward franchise club. Wimbledon ( showed how it should be done by coming back through the leagues ) and Milton Keynes City. 
He should have bought MK City and done it the proper way. 

Brentford

Any side that is well-run. The previous stadium was run-down & they had been a lower tier side for decades. In the world of the closed-shop league, they offer hope and a model about how it can be done. They were also one of the first sides I ever visited to see Derby in the mid 80s.

I also learned respect for Swansea after the Bodde saga & exchange of insults between us & them. It was irritating seeing them prosper & us struggle, but enlightening to discover how they did it, knowing that the odds were stocked against them, finding a way to become successful. They are another side who ascended the divisions, reached the PL & won a trophy & a memorable Europa League campaign.

Getting there by being patient and having a strategy.

I lived and worked in Wolverhampton late 80s early 1990.

When Derby were playing too far away to get to or fixtures were on differing days or evenings I would find a spot on Molineux South Bank and take in the match and generally great atmoshphere.

It was in the days of one Steve Bull marauding his way through defences and causing mayhem. He was a sight to behold. 
So, yes, soft spot for Wolves.

Sidenote… I played a charity game v Wolves Ex Players run by Mel Eves. Former player.

Some well known ex Wolves players from 70s played. John Richards who also had a spell at Derby was there. It was a great afternoon and my whole average football career highlight happened in this match. I attempted a hollywood pass, outside of the boot swerving 30 yards ( might have only been 10 yards but its my story so Im sticking with 30) to our centre forward.

Think Roberto Carlos style… go on… imagine!! 
By some fluke it worked and we scored our only goal of a 12-1 defeat. 12-1 against this lot felt like a draw really.

Anyway… the planets 2nd ever million pound player Steve Daly ran past me just after THE pass of the game. Nay, pass of the decade… and whistled and said ” bloody amazing that was”. 

We made a pile of money for Children in Need and professional footballers thought I was amazing. Lol.

Happy days. 

Edited by StockholmRam

Don't hate me, but I've always had a soft spot for Leicester. A little local East Midlands club we've never had any rivalry with, so I like seeing them do well. Current Mrs Sagan is a gooner so I look out for them and take her to some games. A former one was a Man Citeh fan so I used to like them, but now I think about it I'm becoming a bit bitter so beginning to turn against them. 

On 14/08/2022 at 12:49, Asanovic70 said:

Brentford

Any side that is well-run. The previous stadium was run-down & they had been a lower tier side for decades. In the world of the closed-shop league, they offer hope and a model about how it can be done. They were also one of the first sides I ever visited to see Derby in the mid 80s.

I also learned respect for Swansea after the Bodde saga & exchange of insults between us & them. It was irritating seeing them prosper & us struggle, but enlightening to discover how they did it, knowing that the odds were stocked against them, finding a way to become successful. They are another side who ascended the divisions, reached the PL & won a trophy & a memorable Europa League campaign.

Getting there by being patient and having a strategy.

I felt the same about Swansea. Turning over Forest in the play offs certainly helped their cause. Ferrie Bodde is a name I haven't heard in ages. It was pretty grim when he suffered the career ending injury shortly after our attempt to buy and some rams fans treated it as some kind of victory.

Arsenal.

Always had a soft spot for them since my earliest memories of watching any kind of football was the invincible team under Wenger and how in awe I was watching the brilliance of Thierry Henry.

A year or two later, a relative began taking me to the odd Derby game when George Burley was here and then subsequently got a season ticket and haven’t looked back since. 

I then became engrossed in the awe of Iñigo Idiakez and Tommy Smith week in week out instead.