This year's scapegoat

25 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How about we don’t even to start to have such negative thoughts yet and we close this thread?

Just sayin.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree we should leave the players alone, and let them get on with their job... with our full and unconditional support.

So I say, the scapegoat for 2022/23 has to be one of our very own forum posters!  I'll do a poll!  ?

Is this thread not a bit dramatic?

people talk about the games, it’s part of why we go! If someone’s not playing well over a period of time are they a scapegoat? Think it’s ok to point out things you think players struggle with

stupid comments as well like “real fans don’t want you there”! Who made you head of fans?

support the team how you want

3 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

As I said, I think the fans largely backed all of the players, but I think that Roos was probably only saved by the fact that he didn't play

Was just querying your original premise which was that rarely in the 50 years of supporting the club has there not been a scapegoat each season.

From your reply it seems that last season was that once in a 50 year rarity. 

5 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

people talk about the games, it’s part of why we go! If someone’s not playing well over a period of time are they a scapegoat? Think it’s ok to point out things you think players struggle with

stupid comments as well like “real fans don’t want you there”! Who made you head of fans?

Think you might need to look up the definition of what a scapegoat is. 

39 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

I'll take Keogh as an example. Every time we lost a game he was blamed by supporters on Radio Derby even if we had to go back 5 minutes before a goal to find a pass that he had misplaced.

We have at least one player every season (apart from last season) that suffers this treatment. 

If you think that's OK, then fine but that's not my idea of fair criticism

32 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Was just querying your original premise which was that rarely in the 50 years of supporting the club has there not been a scapegoat each season.

From your reply it seems that last season was that once in a 50 year rarity. 

I’ve thought about that last sentence and yes I think it was unique, everyone was involved in the fight, everyone gave everything on and off the pitch as a team and as a club, Rooney played a big in bringing everyone together and if anyone made a mistake the players just dug deeper and the fans shouted louder. Ultimately it wasn’t enough, but a scapegoat, no definitely not.

You've got to be pretty foolish to not see how much of a positive influence the crowd had on the squad last year. For me, anyone starts turning on a player they need to give their head a wobble!

Hopefully the positive atmosphere will continue....even if we're 2 nil down at half time against Oxford!

6 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wildsmith - we have a habit of destroying the confidence of our keepers

I’m really hoping, as others have similarly said, we just all rally round the team, us against the EFL style, remembering for all our new faces, we are starting from a long way back.

Inevitably though, goal keepers can make an howler that costs a goal far more than any other player, so Wildsmith will be in pole position from the start. Be nice if we give him, Chester and Collins particularly, a fair amount of chance to find form in anew system, where teammates are also learning their strengths, before we start any scapegoating wouldn’t it?

Every single football club in the country will have a player fans perceive to be the “weak-link” in their team, and will thus blame any problems they have on him. Even teams doing well will have one, it’s not something that only happens here. 

Last season was a bit different of course, because most fans understood it wasn’t the players on the pitch that were behind our struggles. So the “scapegoat” last season was off the pitch - Mel Morris. None of that criticism was unfair of course,  cause he absolutely was to blame for the s*** we’ve been through. It did give the players a break though as the crowd laid off them, even though some poor performances away from home, because we understood they were working their hardest.

It won’t stay that way though, no chance. That’s not how football works. Now we’re back to “normal”, we’ll have a scapegoat again. My prediction is James Collins. He’ll have the number 9 shirt, big striker signing, and people will be expecting him to live up to Chris Martin - especially a certain couple of fans who have an unhealthy, bordering on stalking, relationship with him. Collins has struggled to make an impact so far in pre season, so fans could be on his back quite quickly if he doesn’t start scoring.