New style and tactics ?

jono

Listening to Liam and only on the basis of what I saw against Berlin I have a feeling that our system and style , that has been around as long as Mac 1, in one form or another, might be on the cusp of change. Sure we have  the play out from the back thing but that’s a bit of a blind. It’s just about and building rather than lump it and hope. 

one way or another we have always set up in recent times with a DM / DM’s and the desire for a holding striker to bring runners in buzzing on the edge of the box. Yes we have done 3 at the back and combo wingers/wing backs but in essence there have been 2 key positions. DM and Hold up forward. We seem now to have a CF and out and out Wingers now ( rather than wide forwards ) 

I sense that Liam wants a more traditional midfield,  flanks, crosses and a Centre forward along with an AM to break one of the cliched banks of four if coming through the centre. Dunno, just a feeling in my water. 

Any thoughts ? 

I hope we’ll have a couple of different ways of playing. Sometimes use the possession based football of the last few years given that should make use of the technical strengths of some of our players, Bird and Hourihane to play through balls, McGoldrick dropping deep and players running beyond him. At other times be a little more direct with Barkhuizen/NML and the fullbacks driving forward and putting in crosses for Collins/A N.Other, if playing like that we need someone else from midfield pushing into the box like prime Bryson.

What I really want to see this season is more intent to win games. Not sure if down to tactics, circumstance or both but there have been too many matches in recent memory where I feel we’ve been scared to go out and chase the win. I want more games like the Stoke away game from last season where the intent is to impose our style on the opposition and win the 3 points. Actually get some shots, crosses and forward passing going.

40 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way we have played in recent seasons I just hope we will be less cautious and try and move the ball a bit quicker.  Weve been way too easy to defend against.

Yes ! I’d like to think we have a skill advantage over the majority. To use it and win it’s all about tempo and moving the ball quickly. No need ( if you are skilled ) to have 2 or 3 touches. Shift it fast and opening will be there.

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

I like it when we do a shot on goal, or maybe even two.

What are you like? As if that's ever going to happen.

Seriously we have developed a very negative mindset where our first thought is always backwards. To stand any chance of promotion, this must be turned on its head.

If we have a freekick in the opponent's half, put the ball into their box instead of trying to thread it back to our keeper through the expectant lines of opposition forwards who have watched videos of our negative tactics and are ready to sprint towards our goal and intercept the ball. Let's have quick thinking, with speedily taken forwards throw-ins (by anyone - don't wait for the fullback) and freekicks, always trying to keep the opposition off balance rather than let them organize. Always look for a forward pass first. Even if there's a risk of losing the ball, play it if there's a chance of opening up the opposition. Shoot when you have the opportunity. You'll never win if you don't buy a ticket. Have a mindset where you are prepared to do anything to score a goal and it's the first thing on your mind when you're within 30 yards of the opposition goal. Bust a gut to get into the box and on the end of that cross. Never pass across our own box or take short goal kicks inside our box if the opposition is pressing you - instead go long at that point. If you break the opposition line so have a man advantage, never turn backwards or you will immediately be subbed off - keep charging forwards or play the forward pass towards your opponent's goal.

Attack attack attack!

That would be my new style and tactics. 

The mindset needs to change and that comes from the manager.

Only positive aspect of losing a number of players from last season is that Rosenoir can bring new players in and mould then into HIS way of thinking rather then the negative, crab like attritional crap we saw in away games all of last season.

If the team persist in the above again then with the new personnel this will be down to Rosenoir. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Only positive aspect of losing a number of players from last season is that Rosenoir can bring new players in and mould then into HIS way of thinking rather then the negative, crab like attritional crap we saw in away games all of last season.

If the team persist in the above again then with the new personnel this will be down to Rosenoir. 

Agreed, but if Liam is as good as his word, it does seem that he recognises that and wants change. Proof of pudding and all that. wait and see I suppose !  

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

And if we’re top of the league at Christmas?

11 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

And if we’re top of the league at Christmas?

I'll take it all back ?

Seriously I hope Rosenoir has looked back at the last season and made a note of what was good, bad and indifferent, League 1 is all lung and muscle so if we're leaving ourselves open to being more susceptible to the press in away games then really will be scandalous.

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The press is there to be broken. That I imagine is what we are trying to achieve. It needs good energetic midfielders who can move the ball forward between the lines. Our midfield against Stevenage was hopeless. Its not the system. 

Move it quickly, be on the front foot. Do that and we win games.

certain there are skilled players in this league but in theory at least, we have better than the ordinary. Play as a team with the right attitude and skill will out. If they are pressing then there are big holes further up the field, find them ! 

I can’t wait for this to all kick off. Hugely worried but optimistic at the same time. ! 

In the first 2 preseason games wr played it through the lines much quicker and there were less passes around the back not really going anywhere. Against Stevenage it went back to too many passes around the back & it showed by the lack of attacking intent with 0 shots on target. Im hoping the first 2 games is what Rosenior is wanting more of, he was critical of the performance vs Stevenage which I was happy to hear.

i certainly hope the style of play will be changed, as i firmly believe that possession football will not cut it in this league.  High tempo mixed passing will be more effective and IMO more entertaining as well and probably less risky for our players, we don't want to dawdle on the ball in front of some of the brutes that this league has to offer and the standard of refereeing we are likely to encounter.

I don’t think so.

I strongly suspect Rosenior was the man behind the tactics used for the last couple of years, with Rooney just as a figurehead doing the man-management side of things. 

With that in mind, I don’t think we’ll change the overall tactics and style of play. I suspect that was part of the thinking behind making Rosenior interim manager - so we have at least some continuity with all of these new signings coming in.

Hopefully we will play a lot more attacking and on the front foot, given rather than being favourites for relegation, we’re now favourites for promotion. You have to adjust mentality for that, in order to live up to expectations. But I strongly suspect the underlying style will remain the same - Rosenior will want us to play good, on the deck, passing football out the back.

Formation is perhaps slightly up for debate, given we’ve seen 4-4-2 on occasion in pre-season, but I still think it’s far more likely we’ll stick with some variant of 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, as we have done for the past decade. Anyone yearning for a return to 1980s kick and lump in League One will be disappointed.

Possession based, with the LB and RB  passing square to the supporting midfield

instead of backwards, at least 3 players attacking the box on incoming passes.

Heyho its back to Champagne football again as per the 14/15 season  Simple

Football has change a lot in recent seasons. The traditional number 10 is being given way to a higher press.

Teams are fitter. There are less gaps.

Slow build-ups are easy to defend against. The Martin-Bryson type combo isn’t as effective.

I think we will see in League One many direct teams who play second ball football. Lots of harrying, rushing.

To deal with that we will need to move the ball quickly. Especially away from home.