Matchday Thread v Hertha Berlin (H) 16th July 16:00

ollycutts1982

7 minutes ago, Miggins said:

'Speaks well' is a bit vague, I guess. 

I thought he came across as especially articulate and he seemed comfortable and confident speaking in front of the camera. He seems to be an excellent communicator and he expressed his knowledge of the game, his plans and his opinions clearly and in an enthusiastic and engaging manner.

OMG!!   Sounds like a flippin' school report!!! ☹️  

Ah well. Once a teacher, always a teacher...?? X

14 minutes ago, Miggins said:

I thought he came across as especially articulate and he seemed comfortable and confident speaking in front of the camera. He seems to be an excellent communicator and he expressed his knowledge of the game, his plans and his opinions clearly and in an enthusiastic and engaging manner.

OMG!!   Sounds like a flippin' school report!!!   ?

Ah well. Once a teacher...?

I think I'll just stick to 'speaks well'. X

I’m sure as sure can be that I would have bought you an apple in each school day Miggins x

27 minutes ago, Miggins said:

At least it wasn’t like a school report I once had. “We need more hard fact and less amiable woffle” ?

And the star comment I got on my then 13 year olds essay “You try to write in an advanced style … and fail” … nice encouraging bloke eh ? 

33 minutes ago, Miggins said:

He speaks with positivity.. which doesn't come naturally to most of us on this forum!

Our recruitment team or the guys and girls that are working together for the love of the club that now do the recruitment, that are honest hard working people with a good character and respect, that speak well themselves, have attracted to the club, honest hard working people with a good character and respect, that speak well themselves.

So we are going to beat them all on and off the pitch with honesty, hard work, with good character and respect and good communication.

D.C.F.C. Life, Love & Unity.

Dreadzone play The Flowerpot Derby Friday 7th October 2022.

https://www.ticketweb.uk/event/dreadzone-the-flowerpot-tickets/12287935

Edited by Inverurie Ram

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

He speaks with positivity.. which doesn't come naturally to most of us on this forum!

He does @PistoldPete and hopefully it will rub off on everyone.

I think this season will be a hard fought one, but I'm confident that we have the potential to do well this season. We have a promising manager and team and hopefully it will be fun to see the team improve, learn and grow together.

I think we'll see much more positivity on the forum this season after the torrid time we have all been through. We are back and on the way up. ?

46 minutes ago, jono said:

At least it wasn’t like a school report I once had. “We need more hard fact and less amiable woffle” ?

And the star comment I got on my then 13 year olds essay “You try to write in an advanced style … and fail” … nice encouraging bloke eh ? 

I like the sound of 'amiable woffle' . It puts me in mind of sitting in the garden on a warm summer evening with friends and bottles of wine! That kind of evening when all seems right with the world.

Keep up the amiable woffle!! ?

Edited by Miggins

4 minutes ago, mozza said:

Is it 'woffle'? I always thought it was 'waffle'

You know, that’s really interesting. It was always woffle in my mind but seeing written with an “a” makes total sense pronounced as per breakfast waffle -  I suspect linguistically you’re right and my spelling, (or the teachers) is a personal glitch. 

As a kid I grew up with pretty much “received” pronunciation which has changed over time as you move and mirror with the world and times. Thing is despite a nod to “poshness” I have always pronounced Lorry as Lurry. It’s so ingrained that I just can’t change it despite ever piece of evidence means mine is off. 

Quite what the above has to do with a footy match I have no idea - it’s more w*ffle I suppose ?

56 minutes ago, jono said:

You know, that’s really interesting. It was always woffle in my mind but seeing written with an “a” makes total sense pronounced as per breakfast waffle -  I suspect linguistically you’re right and my spelling, (or the teachers) is a personal glitch. 

As a kid I grew up with pretty much “received” pronunciation which has changed over time as you move and mirror with the world and times. Thing is despite a nod to “poshness” I have always pronounced Lorry as Lurry. It’s so ingrained that I just can’t change it despite ever piece of evidence means mine is off. 

Quite what the above has to do with a footy match I have no idea - it’s more w*ffle I suppose ?

Over the past couple of years I've developed an unfortunate mispronunciation as when I see "Mel" I can only say "moron"..... 

?

Did anyone take notice of the German team coach yesterday, which I thought was a brilliant advertisement for their club and team. Not only a great slogan but with all the name badges of the districts and towns which surround the city of Berlin.

"Wir Sind ein Berliner" - translated means "We are Berliners".

Not the incorrect JF Kennedy quote of "Ich bin ein Berliner", which basically means, "I'm a hot dog"!!!

I don't know if Derby County F.C. have an official coach, or do they just hire one for the day?

However, why not a club coach with "We are Derby" on the outside, with our own districts and towns where our supporters originate? Or would that provide a abuse and damage from other club supporters as they drive to and park at other grounds?

Hertha Berlin Coach (1).jpg

Hertha Berlin Coach (2).jpg

3 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Did anyone take notice of the German team coach yesterday, which I thought was a brilliant advertisement for their club and team. Not only a great slogan but with all the name badges of the districts and towns which surround the city of Berlin.

"Wir Sind ein Berliner" - translated means "We are Berliners".

Not the incorrect JF Kennedy quote of "Ich bin ein Berliner", which basically means, "I'm a hot dog"!!!

I don't know if Derby County F.C. have an official coach, or do they just hire one for the day?

However, why not a club coach with "We are Derby" on the outside, with our own districts and towns where our supporters originate? Or would that provide a abuse and damage from other club supporters as they drive to and park at other grounds?

Hertha Berlin Coach (1).jpg

Hertha Berlin Coach (2).jpg

Great bus! 

We don't own our own, but usually have the same one on hire. 

As you say, too much of a target in this country.

12 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Yes he was the stand-out player. Very clever and brings other players into the game and is a presence even when he hasn’t got the ball he occupied the defenders. Hourihane too was like quicksilver playing “liquid football” all around the park with a wand of a left foot. Collins looked ring rusty. Max Bird looked superb and his long-range passing, arrowing down the flanks with seamstress’s precision. Knight and Thompson have both beefed up and Thompson danced his opponent into submission with clever turns and quick feet.

Pride Park pitch was lush, flat and even, with the ball moving over the surface with speed and even bounce. 

No. 1 new keeper kept out a certain goal 2nd half and Scott Loach got a Vg reception when he came on. 

A hot day, several pleasing Brunswick beers, liquid football at Pride Park and a 1-0 win for the Rams. If Carlsburg did Saturdays…

You are Stuart Hall and I claim my 30 pence