Who is in the running to buy Pride Park?

Carl Sagan

Who do you think is buying the ground?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Just as a business proposition, if hypothetically you bought a football stadium for £20m and charged £1m a year in rent that's a decent rental income. 

Despite current higher inflation, the banks are still only paying around 1% interest, so a 5% return is a decent income stream on that amount of investment.

Add to the mix, utilising the ground for music gigs or other events, that return could increase even more.

As a property investment it's a good stand alone venture. If, as reported, the investors are local, facilitating the survival of our club, alongside a community-minded good PR venture, whilst taking a decent return makes a lot of sense.

Add into the mix, if we recover to being promoted to the Championship, or God forbid the Premier League, those rental fees will increase.

In summary, a sound property investment for any business, with only upside.

Not really - 5% is right at the low end for commercial and residential rentals,  Is suspect that maintaining a stadium has increased overheads as well, a lot of safety stuff to consider etc etc. Then there's the risk element, it would be like renting to a student who hasn't paid their bills for a couple of years and is in loads of debt.

I have no concerns whatsoever that the stadium won't get sorted and very quickly but it's not an appealing investment, if it were, we wouldn't be discussing it right now....

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

They do all that I can see how cold they get they can barely keep a limb still and I have seen were some of hands shaking like mad.

Hands were shaking like mad as they were nervous about serving a black belt, knowing that if your pie wasn’t right you could turn them into chop suey!

Hull fc stadium, council owned

Coventry City stadium

Leeds fc stadium

Brighton fc stadium

Birmingham fc stadium

Ipswich fc stadium, council owned

These stadiums, a few example of grounds under different ownership than the club.

Most of these stadiums make money.

They make money by owning the grounds revenue streams ie food/drink, shops etc

They make money by taking the a portion of the advertising revenue, or by holding separate events ie weddings, music, other sports etc

They make money from the renting the ground.

12 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Coventry City stadium

Leeds fc stadium

Brighton fc stadium

Birmingham fc stadium

These stadiums, a few example of grounds under different ownership than the club.

They make money by taking the a portion of the advertising revenue, or by holding separate events ie weddings, music, other sports etc

When Gary Neville was on about football clubs should be treated as listed buildings, yes it was extreme but one way they could have some protection is if councils owned stadiums as community assets.

There is good logic in the council owning pride park. I’m nervous about a private owner who is separate from the club whether they are a fan or not. All they need is a change of heart or circumstances change and we’re screwed. Remember Mel is (supposedly) a life long fan and one of our own. 

Not that we have a choice in our current predicament mind and hope whoever is buying (probably closes) gets it done and we should be eternally grateful.

42 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I'm willing to chuck in a couple of quid. If you can find a dozen others, you're looking at almost thirty pounds. Will that do it?

33 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Significantly short of the amount required I would imagine.

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

If the fan group was gadsby , Horton, Kirkland family , Clowes, Horan and so on quite a lot . If it’s you and me not so much.

I was just thinking instead of hopelessly waiting if we as fans could step in and help once. If we as fans/local businesses could raise a few million if that could then make it more viable for CK, the council or someone to turn buy PP.

How long can we wait afterall this is clearly the stumbling block in order for CK's deal to be finalised.

14 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

If the fan group was gadsby , Horton, Kirkland family , Clowes, Horan and so on quite a lot . If it’s you and me not so much.

Someone (Jimmy McLoughlin rings a bell) did a trowel round of wealthy DCFC fans not long after we went into Administration, asking for pledges of at least £10,000 iirc, and reported quite a few keen to contribute to any fund that might be established to save the club.

But of course, it's one thing to get people to pledge they'll give money and another to actually make it happen, and to the amount required to have a fighting chance of buying the club and/or the stadium. I believe though that Lineker and Co managed to do something similar at Leicester when they went pop. 

I'd certainly put in what I could if it came to a general crowdfunding campaign, but you'd need a few very wealthy fans putting in substantial 6 or even 7 figure sums to give it a chance of succeeding. 

Edited by Crewton

It's a nice idea in principle. However I would think about all the hours and graft I have had to put in to get the money I have to pledge to the club and how important it is to me and my family and our future and then think the money will go to paying mel and think no thank you.

19 hours ago, Boycie said:

If we get back in the prem one day I’d imagine the new owner of PP could easily double their investment.

I do hope you’re not casting aspirations at the “independent” valuation of 80 million. 

15 hours ago, Rev said:

Concourse heating is a waste of money, I'm amazed no one pointed it out before they were installed, or maybe they did and were ignored.

In the depths of winter, you're dressed to be outdoors for the 90 minutes regardless, why on earth spend money heating somewhere just for half time and a brief period before the game? 

The idea is to get people there for longer to buy more beer.

5 hours ago, David said:

Hands were shaking like mad as they were nervous about serving a black belt, knowing that if your pie wasn’t right you could turn them into chop suey!

No mate they are freezing behind it.

5 hours ago, Oldben said:

Coventry City stadium

Leeds fc stadium

Brighton fc stadium

Birmingham fc stadium

Don't forget man city and west ham

32 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Don't forget man city and west ham

My point is, those football grounds are making money from running the grounds.

Clever merchandising, advertising, marketing is generating sustainable profits.