Finance thread 2022.

Rev

12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Call me a fool, but if the bankers who get bonuses pay their taxes on the bonuses then that helps the people who need it who pay no taxes no?

No. What the govt spends money on does not rely on how much tax they receive.

All the extra billions spent on covid have not required a tax rise have they?

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

No idea, but all the tax the high earners goes towards helping the people who pay no tax doesn’t it?

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

No idea, but all the tax the high earners goes towards helping the people who pay no tax doesn’t it?

Just think about all the billions spent on covid. From paying people to stay at home to PPE contracts, vaccinations, its billions. Yet we have just reduced Tax.

We don't need tax to pay for things!

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Just think about all the billions spent on covid. From paying people to stay at home to PPE contracts, vaccinations, its billions. Yet we have just reduced Tax.

We don't need tax to pay for things!

Can I print some money when I need it like the governments told the Bank of England too?

Asking for a friend?

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Wasn’t that why Sunak lost the leadership election, because his last budget included tax/nics rises and his future proposals didn't include tax cuts until the last budget before the next GE? 

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think you are being a bit disingenuous there uttox... Kwateng has called COVID (and presumably the Ukraine War too) an "exogenous" event.. an external event, so outside of normal fiscal control. 

You would normally expect Government spending to be paid for by taxes. So Boycie is right , bankers getting bonuses means more tax for the Government which is  a good thing. Mind you incentivising bankers to do dodgy deals may not be such a good idea.   

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

I think you are being a bit disingenuous there uttox... Kwateng has called COVID (and presumably the Ukraine War too) an "exogenous" event.. an external event, so outside of normal fiscal control. 

You would normally expect Government spending to be paid for by taxes. So Boycie is right , bankers getting bonuses means more tax for the Government which is  a good thing. Mind you incentivising bankers to do dodgy deals may not be such a good idea.   

How do we know that we would not have received the Tax generated by additional banker bonus via corporation tax if it remained capped! I'm not expecting an answer as it is an extremely complicated issue, surely the only thing the removal of the cap on the banker bonus does is, as you say, incentivise the bankers to do more and bigger deals.   

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

How do we know that we would not have received the Tax generated by additional banker bonus via corporation tax if it remained capped! I'm not expecting an answer as it is an extremely complicated issue, surely the only thing the removal of the cap on the banker bonus does is, as you say, incentivise the bankers to do more and bigger deals.   

Am I being a bit dumb here again or isn't the answer because corporation tax is only 19% whereas income tax on said bonuses (assuming they didn't find a clever way to avoid it of course!) is likely to be 40% (plus NI)? Surely the answer to your question can't be as simple as that.

In any event, the tax (corporation or income) generated from these bonuses is likely to be a drop in the ocean compared to the total tax income for the treasury.

9 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The £ continues to look like it's in big trouble, and Sky reporting that the Bank Of England may be forced to issue a massive emergency interest rate hike to try and tame inflation, and letters of no confidence already going in from Tory MPs. It does feel like carnage 

image.png.f3d18115ae227dfc4670b7a0053bdc2e.png

What? Liz Truss incompetent?.

Who saw that one coming?!

9 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The £ continues to look like it's in big trouble, and Sky reporting that the Bank Of England may be forced to issue a massive emergency interest rate hike to try and tame inflation, and letters of no confidence already going in from Tory MPs. It does feel like carnage 

Hopefully we'll get the 50 odd letters required, then a new cabinet followed by a 3 month tory leadership contest. Then we could have another PM in place by Jan. It's called Democracy.

I don't post  politics on here (as we all know it's against the rules), but I suggested to someone this morning that this has all the signs of being a long game played by the Tory party:

1. Elect a thoroughly incompetent PM (that unlike Boris, no one likes either) and watch them royaly screw up (which she appears to be doing with indecent speed);

2. Get the Labour party confident enough to push for a vote of no confidence in the government thereby forcing a general election; and then

3. Sit back for the next couple of years while the new Labour government has to try and dig us out of the huge hole the country is currently in while not being able to deliver on most of their traditional promises.

4. The Tories then come back at the following election with a nice big majority (possibly with Boris back in charge by then)....

It may sound far fetched, but there's no easy way out of the mess following Brexit, Covid and the Ukraine war - far better from their perspective to let Labour do the donkey work and then pick up the pieces...

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I don't post  politics on here (as we all know it's against the rules), but I suggested to someone this morning that this has all the signs of being a long game played by the Tory party:

1. Elect a thoroughly incompetent PM (that unlike Boris, no one likes either) and watch them royaly screw up (which she appears to be doing with indecent speed);

2. Get the Labour party confident enough to push for a vote of no confidence in the government thereby forcing a general election; and then

3. Sit back for the next couple of years while the new Labour government has to try and dig us out of the huge hole the country is currently in while not being able to deliver on most of their traditional promises.

4. The Tories then come back at the following election with a nice big majority (possibly with Boris back in charge by then)....

It may sound far fetched, but there's no easy way out of the mess following Brexit, Covid and the Ukraine war - far better from their perspective to let Labour do the donkey work and then pick up the pieces...

Kinda relies on Labour getting voted in, and then being able to 'fix things'. Not currently confident about the first and most definitely not the second.

Scary stuff with the economy atm - still stops you worrying about energy costs and the cost of living - maybe that's the plan?!

Edited by RoyMac5

58 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Absolutely no chance that this has been knocked up and distributed as real, or is the?