World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

37 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Pure embarassing - this reply sums it up best

image.png.6320b7faa6d4bf88471b7e6aff87085e.png

Nothing compared to the riots in several Belgium and Holland cities burnt out cars and people told to avoid Brussels. Luckily my mate there avoided all the violence as Liege was ok

https://news.sky.com/story/riots-erupt-in-brussels-after-morocco-pull-off-world-cup-upset-beating-belgium-12756774

No wonder the Police are demonstrating in Brussels today about wages.

Edited by cstand

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

But Napoli had the best defence in the league. It’s silly to say Maradona single handedly won them the Championship.

Might have a point if they won every game 5-4 with Maradona scoring five goals.

But he wasn’t even the leading scorer while Napoli had the best defence.

He may have been their best player. And Argentina’s too. But it’s a team game. And in both cases Maradona had an amazing defence behind him.

Tough comparing the greatest from different times, and there is obviously more to the 'single handed' Maradona myth which is the common narrative. However If you take away the goals he scored in '86 world cup and the ones he set up (Pretty much all of them), I don't think Argentina win it. As for Napoli (after being literally kicked out of Spain), he went to an unfashionable team who'd never won owt and led them to two titles and a cup, lifting the spirits of a much deprived city and cocking a snook at the rich boys in Milan and Turin in the process.

I couldn't possibly comment on who is the all round, most technically gifted footballer, though Maradona has the best story- myth or otherwise. With the pitches and referees today he would be even better... but would Messi be acceptable in the 80's?

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dear me.

This video shows there should be 2 hmg health warnings

- no more than 21 units a week (addiction, liver damage, cancer etc)

- no more than 21 units in an hour (because you might not realise that the drunk fat lout facing you with raised clenched fist intends to punch you just as soon as he can get your massive bald sunburnt head in focus)

13 minutes ago, sage said:

Does my head in when they say 'great finish' then see it took a massive deflection, then try to still justify their original comment. 

That was going straight at the keeper and went in the corner instead. 

See also when they say with confidence that something is/isn't a foul and then double down when the replay proves them wrong.

3 hours ago, Skin em Ted said:

Tough comparing the greatest from different times, and there is obviously more to the 'single handed' Maradona myth which is the common narrative. However If you take away the goals he scored in '86 world cup and the ones he set up (Pretty much all of them), I don't think Argentina win it. As for Napoli (after being literally kicked out of Spain), he went to an unfashionable team who'd never won owt and led them to two titles and a cup, lifting the spirits of a much deprived city and cocking a snook at the rich boys in Milan and Turin in the process.

I couldn't possibly comment on who is the all round, most technically gifted footballer, though Maradona has the best story- myth or otherwise. With the pitches and referees today he would be even better... but would Messi be acceptable in the 80's?

I mean, it works both ways. You can’t win a tournament without a good defence. And you can’t win a tournament without quality attackers.

You only have to look at Argentina in the last world cup. Scoring goals wasn’t an issue, they shipped four against France and three against Croatia. Unrealistic to expect Messi to score four of five in those games to bail out his side.

Players like Pele, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo will grab the headlines for providing that moment of magic in the final third that separates a game. But none would have the opportunity to do that if their team were crap defensively and conceded left, right and center. 

On the basis of this World Cup so far, Brazil look extremely solid defensively while possessing match-winners at the top. It’s why they are favorites despite not blowing teams away.