World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think that is the best we’ve played against a top national side for as long as I can remember.

We can be really proud of that performance.

We caused France all kinds of problems and pushed them.

That game could have easily gone all the way to a penalty shoot out as there was so little between the teams.

Such fine margins.

Both of their goals came out of nowhere. It wasn’t sustained pressure of anything. And that first goal was one of those where he could try that again another 50 times and he wouldn’t score.

Giroud had a decent chance before he scored admittedly. But generally, that second half was as dominant as I’ve ever seen England against a top team. 

Some people hate stats. But we had 58% possession, double the shots on goal and double the corners.

That wasn’t a usual England performance. Go back over the years against the likes of Brazil, Portugal, Germany (2010) and Italy and we were on the ropes most of the game. Not this time.

Good thing is players like Bellingham, Rice, Saka and Foden will only get better. I think only Henderson and Walker are the two who will be playing their last World Cup. The rest will still be top players in 2026.

17 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I’d thrown in the towel at the start of the game when the commentator told us that Mr Beckham had turned up to the England training camp to hang out with the team.

Maybe the lads should have been training harder for the big game, instead of having their photo’s taken with Golden Balls!

"Hi guys, I was quite good at free kicks in an England team full of inflated egos. That is why we were always so poor in tournaments. But our friends in the media have successfully spun a narrative that people like me, JT, Lamps and Stevie G were great players. The only really good player from that copper generation was Ashley Cole, but he is black so the tabloids had to have a go at him. Rooney was great too, but just working class scum. Anyway, I want to see more ego, less squad harmony, more slavery to the filthy lucre. Only then might you get a 150 million gig to promote Qatar, even though you used to advocate for gay rights."

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Both of their goals came out of nowhere. It wasn’t sustained pressure of anything. And that first goal was one of those where he could try that again another 50 times and he wouldn’t score.

Giroud had a decent chance before he scored admittedly. But generally, that second half was as dominant as I’ve ever seen England against a top team. 

Some people hate stats. But we had 58% possession, double the shots on goal and double the corners.

That wasn’t a usual England performance. Go back over the years against the likes of Brazil, Portugal, Germany (2010) and Italy and we were on the ropes most of the game. Not this time.

Good thing is players like Bellingham, Rice, Saka and Foden will only get better. I think only Henderson and Walker are the two who will be playing their last World Cup. The rest will still be top players in 2026.

The critical thing is take your chance and we didn’t. I’m not blaming Kane because I know what it’s like to take a penalty under pressure. I think we did ok and after watching the game we need to work out how to score.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure Kane will still be around in 2026. And despite his horrific miss today he is a key player. 

9 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

It depends how you look at it. When we behind we played very positive but when we were level we gave France the ball too much. That’s the difference between winning and losing.

Not sure, I thought when it was 1-1 we were really pushing for the second and looked the more likely before the Giroud header

30 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think that is the best we’ve played against a top national side for as long as I can remember.

We can be really proud of that performance.

We caused France all kinds of problems and pushed them.

That game could have easily gone all the way to a penalty shoot out as there was so little between the teams.

Such fine margins.

Absolutely spot on. Would you stick with Gareth? 

42 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Harry Kane's missed penalty was surprising but it happens. I don't think as a team we 'bottled it' or 'choked under pressure' because that would mean we played within ourselves, we didn't. We played well, were the better side. The fact that we lost against a good team doesn't have to mean we bottled it. 

Agreed. Bottling it to my mind is losing my a game you're expected to win. France were expected to win by most people outside England. 

We ran the world champions VERY close and if the ref had given us the decisions they got we'd have won. 

I rarely blame losses on the officiating, but I'm close with this one, the ref was incompetent. 

15 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

image.thumb.png.0449391fe29429139ac679fb3e733df2.png

Outside the box did someone say? Defender back leg is on the line. His front leg is inside the box as it wraps between Kane's legs and he goes down inside the box.  

That is outside the box. Considering the initial contact/foul would have been before this too, I don’t know how you can claim this is inside the box? Both of Kane’s feet are well outside the box and he is already going to ground.

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Agreed. Bottling it to my mind is losing my a game you're expected to win. France were expected to win by most people outside England. 

We ran the world champions VERY close and if the ref had given us the decisions they got we'd have won. 

I rarely blame losses on the officiating, but I'm close with this one, the ref was incompetent. 

The ref got three big decisions wrong, foul on Saka, foul on Kane and then foul on Mount. All pretty much stonewall. Only debate about any of them was whether Kane was in the box when fouled, but I think he was , but ref didn't even give a foul. At least VAR did its job for the third peno , but sadly Kane didn't. Oh well.  Ref in the Argies v Holland game had a shocker too , so it's not just League One that gives bad refs, or Derby either.    

14 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Absolutely spot on. Would you stick with Gareth? 

You have to ask yourself: what will be different in 2024 or 2026?

My gut feeling is another coach deserves a chance now.

I think someone else could come in and build upon the good work Southgate has done and maybe find a way to give us an edge.

The worst thing Southgate could do is overstay his welcome.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That is outside the box. Considering the initial contact/foul would have been before this too, I don’t know how you can claim this is inside the box? Both of Kane’s feet are well outside the box and he is already going to ground.

Because the contact is not with Kane's feet , it's with his upper leg, he is leaning forward. And the contact continues further inside the box. 

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You have to ask yourself: what will be different in 2024 or 2026?

My gut feeling is another coach deserves a chance now.

I think someone else could come in and build upon the good work Southgate has done and maybe find a way to give us an edge.

The worst thing Southgate could do is overstay his welcome.

Southgate should stay as long as he feels he still has the energy for it of course.

I think this team is special. We may not have the silverware to prove it but I honestly do believe it is coming.

We have come so far as a nation under Southgate. From 2016 to now is honestly night and day. I have seen England evolve over his tenure from tournament to tournament. We are now at a point where we consistently make it to the latter stages of tournaments and tonight proved we can go toe to toe with the best in the world.

Bringing a supposedly 'world class coach to get it over the line' sounds all good but what's to guarantee they can get us into this position in the first place. We have been here before with England managers

Don't try and fix something that isn't broken. We are so close.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Are we all honorary Moroccans now then?

I’m putting my house on Morocco now (not that I’ll actually give a crap about the World Cup now, and in about 3 weeks I might glance at a headline that tells me who won the thing).

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

We'd have only lost on penalties anyway

Least we keep our crown as serial chokers 

I did think to myself, before he took it, it would be a very England thing to do, for Kane to score two penalties during the game, and then miss his penalty in the shoot out. 

56 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

At the key moment Kane bottled it. That is choking there is no other explanation. He has to hit the target surely.

Overall we were the  better team , but France were clinical and we were not.

I think it’s harsh to blame Kane. There seems to always need to be a scapegoat, Waddle, Southgate, Pearce, Saka. People miss penalties sometimes. A striker can’t win in that situation, all you can do is lose. People assume the goal is already scored as soon as the penalty is awarded. Your not adding a goal to the scoreboard when you score it, your taking a goal away when you miss it. It must be a horrible job. And there’s all sorts of factors in this. He’s already scored one, so he’s thinking he’s got to do something different this time. It’s his club keeper, he would’ve practiced loads of penos against, this literally wouldn’t be an issue with any other opponent. That’s just shitty luck. 

maybe should’ve got Saka to take the second penalty to keep Lloris guessing. But who’s really get against Kane scoring it?

31 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

image.thumb.png.0449391fe29429139ac679fb3e733df2.png

Outside the box did someone say? Defender back leg is on the line. His front leg is inside the box as it wraps between Kane's legs and he goes down inside the box.  

Did Japan vs Spain teach us nothing?!

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I've taken 2 penalties while playing Sunday football, Not for England, Not in front of 50k + fans, Not with millions watching at home and abroad...and missed them both...it aint that simple...honest ?

I’ve seen you play can’t believe anybody let you take one penalty never mind two