World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

I understand keeping possession, making the other team work, looking for an opening etc, most teams do it to some extent nowadays, but the one thing that winds me up is when we DO break, get in a decent wide position, we never whip that fast early ball in. The wide man almost always cuts back and then floats one into a crowded box or passes back. FFS, we've got possibly the best predatory forward in the world in Harry Kane, if you put an early ball across while the defenders are running back towards their goal, Kane will be on it like a rat up a drainpipe. As soon as you cut back the defenders are then facing the play and able to defend much easier.

Disappointing night, a really flat and unimaginative performance. USA were very organised and were the better team on the night. How Mason Mount played 90 minutes and Phil Foden played 0 is beyond me, we can't afford to carry passengers at this level. 

No point tearing the whole thing apart, this feels exactly like the Scotland game at the last Euro's. We will easily qualify but it would be nice to see a performance on Tuesday night. 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think it’s that one gesture is aimed at the hosts and the other is not. 

So no logic, just self-interest from fifa as usual

I could understand that if the One Love armband was something like "Respect for LGBTQ+ in Qatar" (or LGBLT as my mate's Mum calls it). But it's not, and as I understand it the armband isn't even a pride flag so it's not even specifically targeting one political stance.

As for the Crusaders outfits, I kind of get the point but there were plenty English in 2006 in Germany sporting Dambusters / RAF outfits. I'd guess that would have been a little more challenging for the hosts given their parents generation lived through it than something from about eight hundred years ago. BTW - on both counts I think it is deeply ignorant, disrespectful and ill advised but just making the broader point.

Cannot win every game such is the world cup. I think Germany and Argentina would have taken 0-0. We are back to that sideways/backwards faffing around again. Thought Grealish stopped the rot a little and draws at least 2 or even 3 players to him. Still think we will reach semi finals.

33 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

Southgate is infuriating.

would I swap Paul Warne for him? Absolutely not. And England is supposed to be the top job in English football!

Safety 1st, He's not one for taking it too the opposition in the 2nd game of 3, I'm not a Southgate fan, Never bleedin have, He's mister nice, Clean cut, Not out spoken, Delivers what the FA want...but my is he boring...both with style and speech, Loyal to those who've been there for him since child birth, Getting another contract to take him to the next Euro Championship.

Beating Iran 6-2 was a fete in itself, I don't think Iran were at the races, Didn't sing their national anthem, They were just...meh, Against Wales we saw a different side, Physical and in the refs face, Not the same when they played us

We have players that if they were Brazilian would be the 1st on the team sheet, But Southgate is too staid for me, Frightened to lose what we had...a point ?

That's tournament football for you, Germany and Argentina would swap for our position I'm sure ? 

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I understand keeping possession, making the other team work, looking for an opening etc, most teams do it to some extent nowadays, but the one thing that winds me up is when we DO break, get in a decent wide position, we never whip that fast early ball in. The wide man almost always cuts back and then floats one into a crowded box or passes back. FFS, we've got possibly the best predatory forward in the world in Harry Kane, if you put an early ball across while the defenders are running back towards their goal, Kane will be on it like a rat up a drainpipe. As soon as you cut back the defenders are then facing the play and able to defend much easier.

True. Except Kane would have been hanging around in midfield getting in the way! 

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

Cannot win every game such is the world cup. I think Germany and Argentina would have taken 0-0. We are back to that sideways/backwards faffing around again. Thought Grealish stopped the rot a little and draws at least 2 or even 3 players to him. Still think we will reach semi finals.

To be fair to Southgate, (tin hat at the ready) did he do wrong by selecting the same side that just won 6-2? Of course not. 

people are saying he should’ve brought fosen on, but did he make bad substitutions? Not really. Grealish and Hendo both had a positive impact when they came on. 

the commentators were saying, with half an hour or so go, just don’t lose the game. Cos your not just stopping yourself loosing a point, you’re stopping your opposition gaining too.

I know that’s very pragmatic and boring, but it makes sense. If we had have gone all guns blazing for a winner, with foden perhaps, and managed to concede a goal instead, we’d be rolling the dice on the last day. With a draw, we’re in a pretty comfortable position.

southgate new he’d probably be unpopular to hold on for a draw, and we should be able to wipe the floor with the USA. But if it’s just not happening, and it’s one of those days, then particularly in tournament football, just don’t lose the game is a sensible approach.

we’ve got the points we need with a draw. There’s really no need to risk anything going for a win. 

Sure I remember when a penalty had to involve an element of actually intentionally fouling a a player rather than tickling them with a feather or an attacker deliberately running into a leg when they're about to lose the ball.

I blame Harry Kewell. Leeds knobber.

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!