World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I didn’t watch it but stats suggest the US gave England a decent game.

I’m not surprised. They aren’t a bad side.

I don’t think England have ever won all three group games during my lifetime.

And past winners France, Germany and Spain didn’t either.

The true tests lie ahead in the knockout rounds. We play a demoralized Wales in our last game knowing a win sees us top the group. 

Won all 3 games in Spain 1982 but I don’t know how old you are just showing my age

6 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Who did?? I don’t recall us winning one.

There were 2 group stages in that World Cup.  We won all 3 in the first group then went out after drawing the 2 group games on the 2nd round.  If I remember correctly Keegan was injured at the start of the tournament but was back for last game we played against Spain (??) and missed a header which would have sent us through.

54 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wouldn’t Wales also go through if the US beat Iran? Or if Iran beat the US? With Wales then having a better H2H than England?

If Wales win and Iran and US draw, it would see England, Wales and Iran all on 4 points and US bottom on 3.

In that scenario I guess it would go down on GD which currently has England +4 and both Wales and Iran on -2. A Wales win and Iran draw sees Wales with a better GD.

So if all that is correct, then actually a Wales win guarantees them qualification. Bizarre.

The H2H only comes into play when the two teams have the same amount of points, the same GD and both teams have also scored and conceded the same number of goals.

So for Wales to qualify for the next round, they will need to beat England by four goals.

17 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Who did?? I don’t recall us winning one. 

we started with a 3-1 win over France, with Bryan Robson’s record breaking 27 second opener. 

I don’t recall the details for the rest, without looking it up, but there must have been a second set of group games, as we didn’t reach the knock out stages, and went home unbeaten.  ?‍♂️

edit:. Beaten to it by @FlyBritishMidland ?

Edited by Mucker1884

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

we started with a 3-1 win over France, with Bryan Robson’s record breaking 27 second opener. 

I don’t recall the details for the rest, without looking it up, but there must have been a second set of group games, as we didn’t reach the knock out stages, and went home unbeaten.  ?‍♂️

edit:. Beaten to it by @FlyBritishMidland ?

Showing my age!!  I can remember what happened 40 years ago but ask me what happened 40 mins ago and I’m b*********!!  Which based on tonight is just as well ?.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

The H2H only comes into play when the two teams have the same amount of points, the same GD and both teams have also scored and conceded the same number of goals.

So for Wales to qualify for the next round, they will need to beat England by four goals.

No they just need to win and hope the other game is a draw

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Sorry if it's been covered but what is the logic that states a rainbow armband is a political statement worthy of censure whereas taking the knee is not?

I think it’s that one gesture is aimed at the hosts and the other is not. 

So no logic, just self-interest from fifa as usual

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The head-to-head record is unlikely to matter in that the order is:

1. Most points
  2. Goal difference
  3. Goals scored
  4. H2H
  5. Fair play record
  6. Drawing lots

Wales start on -2 and England on +4, but England have scored more, so I think this means:

• If America and Iran draw then Iran have 4 pts and -2, so Wales just have to beat England to qualify. England would still qualify if not losing by more than 5 as that would take our goal difference to -1.
  • If Iran beat America then Iran move to 6 pts and out of Wales' reach, so they need to beat England by 4 goals to overtake England because of goals scored.
  • It America beat Iran then America move to 5 points, so Wales would again have to beat England by 4 goals.

It’d be weird if USA get knocked out, having not lost a single game. You’d feel pretty hard done to in that situation. 

we really could have done with wrapping it up tonight. Wales won’t give it up, they’ll be up for this local derby, and it’ll be a real scrap. Had we wrapped it all up, we could’ve played the second string and had a bit of a break. Which might have increased wales’a chance. So they should have really been hoping for an England win too. 

now the round of 16 will be like derby playing Real Madrid after playing Leeds. 

a draw literally helps no one. USA need to beat Iran anyway, whether they lost or drew this one. Wales would rather us be taking it easy for the last match. We’d rather obviously rather have won. So Iran are probably the biggest winners from last night.

also funny to think they can lose their first game 6-2, and they could realistically still win the group. 

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Foden’s our best player imho  Must start  

Sterling/Kane is a hopeless combo 

Yeh i fully agree. I wish he would pick the players who are playing the best at club level. Sterling has not had a great season at Chelsea

Foden is first name on the team sheet for me.

It is so frustrating having a failed manager like Southgate in charge of some of the best attacking talent we've had in years.

I know he got us to a final, but i am not giving any of the credit to him

On 23/11/2022 at 16:43, SSD said:

This tournament has shown sitting back protecting leads doesn't work. The work rate of the so called lesser teams has been fantastic. England just need to continue to dominate, keep the aggressive forward play throughout. If Gareth decides to go back to sitting back on a one nil, England will be punished straight away. 

Attack attack attack.

Wishful thinking wasn't it.