World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

4 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Spain... such a paradox watching them. I want to like it, but I just can't stand the brand of football they play.

They're like a supermodel, geometrically perfect but you could never see yourself taking them for dinner.

I think it's that all individuality and personality seems to have been coached out of them.

You're not alone. They are so good yet it's so boring. Not looking to get a rise @Bris Vegas, I know you love this team and their DNA.

I just can't get into it.

3 hours ago, David said:

To be fair, he was born in Germany, German/Nigerian parents, moved to England age 7, spent 9 years here and moved back to Germany.

Only right he plays for Germany. Not a fan of trying to lure young players from other countries based on weird FIFA rules.

Good job you don’t like cricket 

27 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s why I don’t do predictions very often!

Hugely fascinating set of results though, are we seeing a blip by the top nations/continents because the best players over the last 10 years are over the hill on this stage or are other nations/continents starting to catch up and are more competitive?

Only France and England really have better squads than they did 10 years ago and France are currently relying on Giroud

Then again, Spain have just gone 3-0 up which kinda undermines what I’m saying 

I think the 'lesser' teams are catching up. But it so much depends on depth of talent - when the talked about Costa Rica they said 3 (?) Cups ago they topped their group, but last time out they bombed. On the other hand Japan nearly got through to the semi-finals last time out...

This is my ‘catch up’ of this thread…… catch ups are fantastic, ability to enjoy the smug cloud above ones head reading back…. And when you’re in the pub it’s more so. 
And all in the beauty of what makes all this so wonderful, the opinions! Proper community this is thank you @David. Another Bollington ale methinks 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think the 'lesser' teams are catching up. But it so much depends on depth of talent - when the talked about Costa Rica they said 3 (?) Cups ago they topped their group, but last time out they bombed. On the other hand Japan nearly got through to the semi-finals last time out...

Japan are aiming for a World Cup win by 2050. I’m all for it, more power to them. Imagine a team outside of South America or Europe winning it. And I like that they have a plan and a realistic target. Not next World Cup, but it’ll be interesting to see their progression over the next 30 years.